Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting The Technical Forum Oily Rags – Metal Can Maintenance?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    paintrachel

I’ve been reading up on the different ways to properly dispose of oily rags, and have come to 2 conclusions: 1) lay the oily rags out flat or hang them up to dry so that the heat fully dissipates, and 2) throw the oily rags into a metal, fire-proof, container with a tight fitting lid, filled with water.

What I am confused about and can’t seem to find much information on is how you actually handle/maintain that metal can of oily rags and water –

1) When you do go to your local hazardous waste facility to dispose of the rags, how do they take/receive them from you? Do they just dump your waste out into their own contraption and then hand you back your soaked can with oily residue? Wouldn’t this be messy and dangerous? The only thing I can think of is that someone would line their metal can with a plastic bag, fill that up with water, and then throw the oily rags into there. But I haven’t found much about that, so I’m assuming most people don’t do this. What does the process entail for discarding rags at a hazardous waste facility?

2) What do you do if you don’t have many options for discarding hazardous waste? I checked in my local area and we have only one place that will accept the hazardous waste, solely between the months of April and November on the 1st Saturday of the month. So I’m not sure what I would do during the winter, and also just in general as I understand that you are supposed to get rid of your hazardous waste quite often?

For now, I will probably just use 1 or 2 rags during painting and hang them out flat on a clothing rack to dry. I also worry that maybe I should invest in a metal clothing rack as opposed to wood, which is flammable.

budigart

I’ve read all the scare stuff, too, but so far after more than 25 years of piddling in oil paint and many left over oily rags, the conflagration angel of death has passed me by.

I use a fairly large plastic waste can lined with a plastic sack. At the end of each day of painting, I lay this rag on the rim of the waste basket. It’s usually fairly moist with oily medium and clean-up stuff. It’s dry by the next morning. FWIW, I’ve used Bounty paper towels for years.

Jeffro Jones

I’ve been reading up on the different ways to properly dispose of oily rags

You should read the thread you started four days ago.
                Seems to have plenty of common-sense advice.

:::

paintrachel

The other thread does not speak to this particular issue regarding maintenance of the hazardous waste can. There is great information in the responses, but none regarding this matter. I will call my local hazardous waste facility and see what they think.

Thanks, Rachel

Jeffro Jones

For God’s sake, Rachel, has it ever occured to you that if your painting rags were going to burst into flames,
                        your Artist’s Linseed Oil and your Artist’s Oil Paints would be covered with FIRE HAZARD warnings?
                        They’re not.
                        Check them out.
                        There’s a hint for you.

paintrachel

You don’t have to get heated :)

contumacious

You do not have to take them to a hazardous waste facility. Artist oil and oil paints as well as those materials on rags are NOT deemed regulated hazardous waste by the EPA. You can safely, ethically and legally dispose of all your oil painting rags, old oil paint, palette scrapings etc. with your regular household trash, even LEAD white paint. Automotive oil is another story.

Once rendered fire safe in some way, you can simply throw them out with your weekly trash. I use the free 3 gallon white buckets with O-ring sealed lids that I get from the bakery for both storing in water and disposing of the oil painting waste rags. No hassle or smell from a bunch of drying rags laying about making a mess. You can also use new or used 1 gallon metal paint cans that are free from some paint stores.

paintrachel

Wow, I had no idea that artist oils + oil paints were not deemed regulated hazardous waste by the EPA. That takes a weight off my chest. Thanks for that information. So then I shouldn’t feel guilty throwing out rags in the weekly trash if they are 100% cured from drying out flat.

Regarding the can/bucket method, which seems less hassle – do you mean that you literally just throw the oily rags into one of those, pour in water, and throw that out with the weekly trash? (Or maybe let it pile up for a month or so and then throw out with weekly trash?). For some reason I thought that’s not allowed, as though if the water somehow poured out of the bucket or can then that would cause a hazard for the garbage truck.

ronsu18

for example;
                                        http://laag-site.org/materials-disposal.html
                                        search the web for regulations concerning your area.
                                        like everything else about painting, this depends, which is why it’s difficult to give advice. how much you paint, the climate you’re in, the season just now, all influence your safety needs.

C&C welcome

Jeffro Jones

Why won’t MY oily rags catch on fire?
                                            Come on, damn you!
                                            CATCH ON FIRE!

contumacious

for example;
                                                [url]http://laag-site.org/materials-disposal.html[/url]
                                                search the web for regulations concerning your area.
                                                like everything else about painting, this depends, which is why it’s difficult to give advice. how much you paint, the climate you’re in, the season just now, all influence your safety needs.

That website has rather blatantly incorrect information on it RE: Artists oil paint.

[INDENT]Oil Paints (including paint tubes):
                                                Oil-based paint is a hazardous material (FALSE). The paint itself is flammable (FALSE), as are any cleaning rags, paper towels (Again FALSE). Dispose of all waste materials in same manner as turpentine.(NOT NECESSARY! Just render your oil soaked rags to be non spontaneously combustible)[/INDENT]

These instructions / recommendations are incorrect when referring to ARTISTS oil paints, and likely false for most other household use oil based paints as well. Artists paints are NOT classified as flammable, they are combustible, which is the same classification as canola oil, bacon grease, paper or wood. Some solvents can be flammable and some will require proper disposal at a hazardous waste facility just like motor oil or old gasoline. If you intentionally apply a flame to oil paints they can eventually burn, but they will not catch on fire like rubbing alcohol if you touch a match to them unless you have a wick soaked in the wet oil. You can check baggage with virtually ALL oil based artist paints in them, properly contained, onto an airplane. Most are classified as non toxic as well other than the heavy metal oil paints.

I found no laws listed for Louisiana giving a hazardous waste classification to artists oil paints or household oil based paints, only used petroleum oil like motor oil. Artists oil paints have never been classified as hazardous waste that I am aware of by the EPA. You might run into some regulation if you needed to get rid of a very large volumes of lead or cadmium paints, as in many gallons of the stuff, more than you would need to paint an entire house! As an example, under US regulations and in most states you can legally dispose of ALL the lead based paint you might remove from your own home when remodeling an older building without having to deal with hazardous waste disposal regulations. Commercial / large scale lead paint removal is another story and is regulated by OSHA and the EPA.

Be aware that nanny states like California, might have more stringent rules than the EPA does so follow the good advice from ronsu18 and check your state and local regulations to be sure. Most regulations are available online, otherwise call them if you are concerned about it.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.