Home Forums The Think Tank Creativity Titling roadblock

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    vanislandgirl

I’m just getting started selling my work. I’ve sold some pieces in the past, but took a long break. I think my work is a bit different now than it was then and I’m having a hard time with titles.

I know that in order to sell my work, I really should include a title. I can’t tell if I’m over thinking it, or what I need to do. I have some common themes in my work that I could probably group into a series. For instance, animals, or undersea creatures, (I have several octopus pieces) but they could also stand on their own, and maybe they should.

I also have drawings as well as paintings. I feel like those would be titled separately.

A previous series I did years ago was a set of paintings of travel trailers. The way I titled those was “No Fixed Address” as a title for the series, and then I’d pick a place name out of an atlas for each individual trailer painting.

Now I’m stumped. I think I’m trying to future-proof this so that I don’t run out of titles. Am I totally overthinking this? How do you pick your titles?

La_

ideally everything has a title that’s either descriptive of what it is [Octo I, II, III] [Blue Octopus, etc]. or descriptive of what’s going on [Octo in a cave] or whatever.

most viewers appreciate a title, but also your inventory log needs titles so you can keep track of things.

your ‘no fixed address’ scheme is brilliant, carry on along those lines.

la

Tipo

Titles are more intriguing if they have nothing too do with the painting.
                Wake or make up a list of titles while you have nothing better to do and then attribute them to the paintings numerically.
                The public love a puzzle especially if it can’t be solved!

Tipo.

vanislandgirl

I like the idea of keeping a list of potential titles handy. I feel like that might ease the pressure of trying to think of a title in the moment.

Ellen E

I agree that you’d definitely want to name your paintings and keep track of them.

I think a title for a grouping of similar works would be good and then you could give numbered names to each of the subsequent works falling under that category, naming each one.

I haven’t gotten to that point yet but I’m going to use some kind of system to keep track of mine once I do feel like I’m ready to start selling and keeping track of my watercolors.

vanislandgirl

Ok, so taking some of this advice, I’ve started a little notebook just for titles. I’ve been brainstorming titles using various ideas and just letting my mind wander. I figure if I have this book to take a title from when I need it, I won’t feel so much pressure when it comes to naming the piece.

Ellen, as far as numbering and keeping track of your paintings, I think using a spreadsheet like on Google Drive would probably be sufficient to start.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.