Home Forums Explore Media Watercolor Watercolor Studio October 2018 Watercolor Challenge – Abstract!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 85 total)
  • Author

After painterbear tackled an abstract painting in class the other week, it was suggested we have an abstract challenge for a change. For me this is a real challenge, just where do we start?

Well, I decided to include a reference picture as a colour or shapes foundation but if you have your own ideas just go for it. I was looking for a RIL photo with lots of colour and interest and came up with lisilk’s Nutcracker Soldier photo which has masses of shapes and colours to work with. The idea is not to attempt to reproduce the photo but to get ideas from it. What caught my eye was a wonderful painting of a jumble of objects in acrylics.

Here’s the RIL link.

Here’s a link to last month’s Geisha challenge if you are still working on yours.

Have fun!

Doug

We must leave our mark on this world

Merriweather

It’s a fun challenge. Are you OK with using liquid watercolors as they are tons brighter than pan and tube?

Painting is a complete distraction. I know of nothing which, without exhausting the body, more entirely absorbs the mind. Winston Churchill

Yes, liquid Watercolors and pours are OK
        Doug

Ohhhhh, just have to remember to think in shapes rather than objects. This is going to be hard for me but will give it a go.

Thanks for starting the Challenge, Doug.

Abstract away……

Sylvia

I’ll tackle mine in class on Thursday.

Doug

Good morning. Sun is shining, and it is typical fall weather now. Cool mornings and hot days. The sun is setting much earlier these days.

I am doing my laundry today. I had to stop working on my newest project, because I ran out of wood trim. No matter how hard I tried to buy enough, it didn’t work. The back wall is finished and glued in. I cannot put up the trim until all the walls are glued in, but it has been cut to approximate lengths.

Doug, I have saved the photo and will work on a tiny painting that will reside in my newest mini project.

Have a wonderful day. Laundry calls, BBL

MY FACEBOOK PAGE
        "Imagination is more important than knowledge."- Einstein

Never tried an abstract before so this will be a challenge.

LIL

Saltyheaven

Hiya all,

I’m quite new here and having seen last month’s Geisha had decided to join in with this monthly challenge thing. I can abstract away for hours and hours so am quite quick off the mark here. Can one post a few efforts through the month?

I obviously departed from the colours and shapes in the photo!

By its nature this month it is an abstract free for all thread.

Thanks for participating.

Doug

pjartwc

This is a challenge

C&C WELCOMED

Jan

Sure is, I hardly know where to start. Trying some variations in class this morning.

Doug

Tanja

Hi Doug and all, this is indeed a tough one. Here is my first attempt picking up some colors and shapes. I am sure I will do another one. In the meantmime I look forward to your c&c and your abstracts.

Cheers

Tanja

less is more

Good for you Tanja, yes especially for a landscape painter like me.

I have done a few things in class this morning and the most successful one was a Mondrian style painting using red, blue, gold and black.

Doug

What a cheerful abstract, Tanja.

:thumbsup:

Sylvia

Merriweather

Hi Yorky Doug,

I love Whitebeards paintings, and I watch what he does… but my question is,

Is he painting abstract or naive? and I have sketched out what I mean to paint, but it is not abstract abstract, its more naive which is what I privately work on anyways..

So I have googled and looked at images, and I still can’t get the abstract which I struggle to make meaning of. I mean, lines and stuff which I cant read a story into.

I guess I personally like something that you can put together and sure, its not realistic, not impressionistic, but I still want to see a story or sorts,
                        which you can in Whitebeards paintings. I mean, his guess the title of songs, that was lovely and yes I could guess.

I dont know, what say you please.?

Painting is a complete distraction. I know of nothing which, without exhausting the body, more entirely absorbs the mind. Winston Churchill

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 85 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.