Home Forums Explore Media Casein, Gouache, and Egg Tempera Casein Emulsion and Tube Watercolor?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    laika

Would a tiny dash of tube watercolor mixed with casein emulsion behave like casein paint? I’d like to try casein paint without investing much. My (very limited) experiment with Spectrafix casein-based fixative seems to indicate that it might work, but the fixative is thin and diluted (by design for its purpose, of course), and I am considering buying some Shiva casein emulsion, but would like to hear the thoughts of the forum first.

TIA

Lamar

Art is life's dream interpretation.
        - Otto Rank

Kosmon

I would assume so, to some degree, but haven’t tried it. The emulsion is very liquid compared to tube watercolor, so “a tiny dash” might be optimistic, depending on what behavior you’re after.

The Spectrafix refill bottle (as opposed to the stuff in the spray bottle) hasn’t been diluted with alcohol yet.

I would anticipate a better result from gouache mixed with the emulsion, the M Graham gouache I have is nice, and is less expensive than tube watercolor.

But Richeson’s Shiva casein paint is much less expensive per oz. than either watercolor or gouache.

Kos

Hemmed & Hawn
            from
            PERESTRELLO's BOX[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B]
            Root, Bone, Sticks & Stone
            laika

Thanks, Kos! That’s all very good info.

I guess gouache would look more like casein, but I mentioned tube wc because I have a few already. I do have a small set of opaque wc pans I haven’t used with the Spectrafix.

That’s very interesting about the relative cost of the paints. Maybe I’ll try a primary set of casein soon, while I continue to experiment. I’m curious about the the water-resistance of the dried paint film mainly.

Lamar

- Otto Rank

Delofasht

I would go for some of the Shiva paints themselves, very good quality and a tube of white and a nice blue will give you a good understanding of the handling. Those colors will allow you to make some skies as backgrounds for other media if you end up not liking them (but everyone I know likes Casein once they try it).

- Delo Delofasht
                    laika

Excellent advice, Delo! That’s a very good idea. I could get ultramarine and white, then bump it up to a Velasquez primary palette later if I like it.

Gotta say, though, as far as my tinkering goes, I find that the Spectrafix (brush dipped) used with watercolor pencils or a tiny bit of wc from the tube does seem to be making a less fragile/rewettable paint layer.

Thanks again!

Lamar

- Otto Rank

llawrence

The Shiva Ultramarine Blue Deep casein has the most extreme drying shift I’ve ever seen. (By the time it’s done it ain’t exactly “deep” any more.) I know a lot of artists have learned to deal with this sort of thing but I don’t think I can. I have enough trouble predicting what colors will look like in a composition without them changing several values on me after I lay them down. A bit of saturation loss I can handle; drastic value shifts, no.

Ultramarine in gouache or watercolor, mixed with the casein emulsion, seem to hold their depth quite a bit better. I use those instead. The watercolor can remain a little too shiny when painted thick, but works quite well for glazes.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.