Home Forums Explore Media Oil Pastels Oil Pastel Talk Monkey Discovers a Tool!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Todd765

Howdy all,
        Hope you are all having a good week.

I am sure most here already use something like this but I was excited enough to find the right ones that I thought I would post.

I have multiple color shapers for pastel pencils but all too small and too soft to be really effective to blend/spread OPs. I generally use my fingers mostly as that is part of OPs that I really enjoy, getting that contact with the painting and the heat from your finger helps alot to blend I believe. But there are times when I am working on an area that I want to make sure I keep a good definitive line or I want a more subtle blending than I can get with my big fat sausage fingers.

I found these at Hobby Lobby yesterday and picked them up. I am so amazed at how well they work! They are soft rubber tips but sturdy enough to really blend OPs perfectly. I am in love! And they only cost like $6.

I just thought I would post about them in case someone else was wanting something like this but could not find what they were looking for.

terriks

Hi Todd! Yes, I have an assortment of clay shapers that help with OP blending, and even pushing them around a little bit. Mine have a soft gray color at the end.

I like the interesting two-end style you’re showing here. I wonder if they’d be a little more rigid than the ones I’m using, too.

Did they have a particular brand name?

Terri

Film photographer with special love for alternative photographic processes - especially ones that get my hands dirty!

Todd765

Yes I have a bunch that are too soft. These are very rigid but still soft enough to bend when you push down harder. And they have some sort of coating on them that seems to prevent the OP from sticking to them very much. The others I have tried tended to actually remove OP from the paper which I didnt want.

I am not sure of the brand but here they are at Hobby Lobby where I got them.

https://www.hobbylobby.com/Art-Supplies/Brushes/Paint-Erasers/p/80827381

Thanks for sharing, Todd. They are great tools indeed.

Christel

Todd765

Happy to share if I can’t help. I appreciate the warm welcome I have gotten here.

SarahY

I have the one in the middle. I would not be without it, it’s the best thing ever. The shaft of mine is all blackened and sticky though because I am the messiest oil pastelist ever :lol:

http://www.shyeomans.co.uk
                        \m/ neue deutsche härte \m/
                        Nothing left but smoke and cellar, and a woman with a black umbrella...

Todd765

HAha nice! I get pretty messy too I have to admit.

SarahY

I have discovered a new tool!

It’s a bookbinding tool, a bone paper folder:

We use them at work for various paper restoration jobs. I recently bought all new ones because the old ones were a bit chipped, etc. I took the old ones instead of binning them and I have discovered that they are absolutely fantastic for smoothing large areas of oil pastel. Where I would spend aaages smoothing out large areas of black and dark grey with my fingers, I can now just sweep across with the bone. My finger tips and joints are so happy :lol:

They are made of bone, so they are strong and sturdy but that little bit springy, and the finish of them is perfectly smooth and very tactile.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0162LCO1I/ref=asc_df_B0162LCO1I56042400/?tag=googshopuk-21&creative=22146&creativeASIN=B0162LCO1I&linkCode=df0&hvadid=256184816614&hvpos=1o4&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16881248217641672333&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1006948&hvtargid=pla-422000226871

http://www.shyeomans.co.uk
                                \m/ neue deutsche härte \m/
                                Nothing left but smoke and cellar, and a woman with a black umbrella...

Cool!

Christel

Bobbi Ross

These look like they would be helpful sometimes, but then I wouldn’t get to stick my fingers in the pastels. I’ve started wearing gloves though, but it’s not as much fun.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.