Home Forums Explore Media Fiber Arts Welcome to Fiber Arts! Please introduce yourself!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 772 total)
  • Author

Welcome, welcome, welcome to the long-awaited Fiber Arts forum!!! C’mon in, pick a comfortable chair and a refreshing beverage from the cyber-bar, and tell us a bit about yourself and your fiber interests…

I’ll start, shall I? I’ve been messing about with fibers since I was a mere girl, especially weaving and needlepoint. I don’t do much of the latter anymore because it’s gotten harder to see anything that small as I’ve gotten older, but I’ve picked up crochet, knitting and a bit with art dolls since then. There’s such a variety of wonderful yarns and fibers nowadays that it’s hard not to be excited by fibers.

And what about you?

Gudrun

Hello, great news, a new forum!!!! Oh my God, much more to read, to try, to write.
        My name is Gudrun and I’m from Germany. I do all things which are creative, I paint, mainly encaustic, I do jewelry, felting, and knitting. Means my fingers and my creative part of the brain always need things to do. The bad thing is, I have more ideas than time because I work for a Frankfurt bank as a programmer which is a lot of time. But I will love tis forum, this cuty knitted R2D2 things from one of Roses links are a hit….I have to try them.
        So greetings from Germany and I really looking forward…to meet you all
        Gudrun

Gudrun

Mary Woodul

I’ll chime in with Diana to give you all a most warm welcome to the Fiber Arts Forum.

My name is Mary and although my main artistic acitivities have been Mixed Media art, oil painting and drawing, I learned to knit very young and also tried weaving a couple of years back. I like to incorporate strings in my mixed media work and in general I love all kinds of fibers.

Please make yourself at home and bring along a friend, I’m sure this forum will be a lot of fun.

This is such great news….our very own Fiber Arts Forum.

My name is Cindy and I have at different times been active in the Colored Pencil, Mixed Media, Miniature and Pastel forums.

My main fiber art interest is quilting….mostly art quilts these days, but I
            also dabble in traditional quilting. I also love to do thread painting with my
            sewing machine.

I’m currently working on some mini-quilts inspired by Amish designs and colors.
            They are for an exhibit in December. I will try to photograph them and post in the next few days.

I am lucky that I don’t have to hold a full-time job, but I do volunteer my
            time to the Colored Pencil Society of America as Membership Director. I love
            my role and have met so many wonderful artists.

Thank you to all who made this forum possible. Your efforts are very much
            appreciated.

Daily Paintworks Gallery

Cindy's Blog
            Life beats down and crushes the soul, but art reminds you that you have one. Stella Adler

fawnridge-art

Hello to all. One of my most recent interests, (among many!), is painting on silk. As I forum jump, I’ll pop in here sometimes also.
                Good luck on this new forum!!! :clap: :clap:

Oldthumbs

I guess I get to be the first guy in here. :D

I’m not sure if my fiber interests would qualify as “art,” but I do have a few. My main focus is cross-stitch, which I started back in the early 80’s. I’m always “wowed” when I open up my boxes of floss and look at all the colors – love it!

I can actually use a sewing machine, too, though I tend to use it for utilitarian purposes. I have also sewn garments completely by hand for historical reenactment purposes.

I’ve also dabbled in knitting but am nowhere near proficient. I recently played with crochet, too, but seem to like knitting better. I love all the fibers and colors that are available for knitting and have even fantasized about raising Angora rabbits for fiber.

My “ex” was an avid quilter and I have fabric and pattern for a quilt of my own, but have never gotten much further than that. Someday . . . ;)

Ray

“The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it.”- W. M. Lewis
                    “It takes a lot of courage to release the familiar and seemingly secure, to embrace the new. But there is no real security in what is no longer meaningful. There is more security in the adventurous and exciting, for in movement there is life, and in change there is power.”- Alan Cohen
                    Nickel

Hi everyone!
                        Congratulations on your new fiber forum!
                        I have a closet full of fabrics, lol, can’t knit but love knits.
                        Love cross-stitch and quilts too!
                        We have some knitters in classical forum so am sending them your
                        way!

Who knows, maybe I will make a stuffed bear! :)
                        Nickel

Pumpkin12pm

I create embroidered collages. The collage portion can be paper or fabric, or a combination, often with paints, but the final piece always (well,almost) has hand-stitching to a greater or lesser degree. I’ve also incorporated bits made by more traditional embroidery techniques into my stretched canvas works.

I blog regularly about my works in progress and in the near future hope to include more information about other artists who work in all sorts of mixed media embroidery.

Beth Robinson

Art Blog: Embroidered Collage
                            Buy My Art: Shop at Etsy
                            lisilk

Hey Congrats Diana and Mary for finally getting your forum!:clap: :clap: ‘Bout time!
                                I have a ton of fiber books I’ll add to your resource thread.

You could probably see if someone can drag the silk painting article over here. There might be a few other fiber articles stashed over in Mixed Media.

Hi Gudrun:wave: I still have the felt necklace you made. ( and I’m still working on my ATC’s so have faith! Had some family stuff.)
                                Looking forward to seeing all the new work here. Nice to see familiar faces.

Li

Edited- JayD~:lol: :lol:

C & C Always Welcome My RIL Images My Art and Photos[/URL]

She never seemed shattered; to me, she was a breathtaking mosaic of the battles she had won. - Matt Baker
                                JayD

I tried Macrame once and it took the fire department 3 hours to cut me loose from all the knots.

I wanted to stop in and say hello to everyone and I will be in and out to watch the projects–I will also drop an announcement in the drawing and sketching forum. I think this will be a great resource for our people to come and study textures.

Welcome all and I congratulate you folks who put together this fabulous new forum!!!

catmandolin.deviantart.com

*Deirdre*

Hi…I’m Deirdre….and I’m one of those people who have to be bailed out by an expert when I try knitting or crotchet! Even macramé has me in knots…just like Jay!:evil: However…I do admire those who can and do,,,and will no doubt be tempted to try once more…once I see what you are all doing with fibres/fibers!!:envy: I came over to wish the new forum well!:clap: :thumbsup: :clap:

[FONT="Tahoma"]Regards, Deirdre (Always pleased to get C&Cs!) Don't forget - comment on other threads in the forum as well as posting your own work - also, we encourage you to post WIPs, they help others to learn as well as you.
                                        [/COLOR] [

I tried Macrame once and it took the fire department 3 hours to cut me loose from all the knots.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

beebluefern

Hi, my name is Pam and I’m a knitting junkie(not currently on any 12 step program:lol: )…I am so excited that we now have a Fiber Arts Forum here a WC!!! As you can see, knitting is my thing. I adore knitting, yarn, lots and lots of wonderful yarn-especially natural fibers and all the various and sundry tools and books and magazines. I’ve been knitting for about 35 years(self taught-knitting and crocheting) and am currently working on getting my Master Knitters Certificate. I’ve posted a lot of my work in Wearables, and I have a Knitting Blog, but I am so happy to be able to post everything I do here. If I ever get time, I would love to have an Etsy store to sell some of my ‘extra knits”. I also design knitwear, although not as much as I would like to be able to do.Hopefully I will be able to do a lot more of that when I retire. At any given time I have about 4 knitting projects going…I don’t get bored, that’s for sure! I’m a member of the Atlanta Knitting Guild and I have just begun a Beginner Knitting Class at my school for some of our teachers.
                                            Knitting is my Valium. Yarn is my vice:thumbsup:
                                            At the moment I don’t have a working computer but should be getting my new one set up in the next week or so and then I will be posting pics every day!:D I am also a crocheter, felter, watercolorist and very amateur oil and acrylic painter. I’ve even made some jewelry…of sorts.
                                            I can’t wait to see everyones work…Knitting, quilting, spinning, sewing, embroidery, painting, etc. This is the best thing to happen on WC in a very long time….A great big THANKS to Diana and Mary!!!

JayD, you are soooooo funny!!!:lol: I am imagining that!

Whatever you do, Do from the heart.
                                            Col. 3:23

Fun blog, Pamela! Have you ever run across the “You Knit WHAT???” blog? It’s not beiing updated anymore, more’s the pity, but some of the stuff on it is a total crack-up! http://youknitwhat.blogspot.com/

In fact, I’m off to add it to our links!

beebluefern

Fun blog, Pamela! Have you ever run across the “You Knit WHAT???” blog? It’s not beiing updated anymore, more’s the pity, but some of the stuff on it is a total crack-up! [url]http://youknitwhat.blogspot.com/[/url]

In fact, I’m off to add it to our links!

Thanks Diana! I should keep it up to date more often than I do…time just gets away from me.
                                                I have read that blog….I hate that it isn’t updated any longer! Waaaahhh:crying: I also read Yarn Harlot’s blog…name escapes me, but it’s hilarious too. There are several that are well worth reading-lots of good info and tips in many of them.

Whatever you do, Do from the heart.
                                                Col. 3:23

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 772 total)
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.