WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Sculpture
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#391   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-07-2013, 03:00 PM
WC! Guide
OH USA

Hails from United States
Re: The Sculptor's Stand

I'm 63 and Ricos is 18 and he's been an FEI level dressage horse and worked hard all his life. Sounds like you and your mare have a good relationship. I hope she keeps going for a long, long time for you. Thanks for the good wishes. My daughter's a trainer and excellent at matching horses and riders. She's looking for a horse for me, so I'll have a really good hose at some point - hopefully sooner rather than later, but I know sometimes it takes time to find the right one.
  #392   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-08-2013, 07:24 PM
WC! Guide
OH USA

Hails from United States

My daughter is totally sold on Cheval Canadiens (Canadian Horse). She has two in the barn, one a school horse and one she's just sold (the deal isn't final yet but it's a done deal). Jen let me ride that horse today, a 5 year old greenbroke mare who is SUCH a pocket pet and SO sweet! She's a little smaller than Ricos but she has a HUGE walk - over a foot overstep!! Her walk felt like riding in a boat, kind of all over the place, and her trot was square and steady but a little wobbly since she's green. And her canter! Yikes, she's so short-coupled, it felt like her rump would hit me in the back - and she was fast too. Most of the trouble, especially with the canter, is that I've only ridden an FEI level horse for the last five years. I'm used to a horse who's built uphill (this mare is built level but loses a bit of balance at times and winds up dowhill). I'm used to riding a collected canter with the horse's back lifted and his hooves barely making a sound as they hit the footing in the arena. This mare was delightfully light to the aids and very responsive and so sweet, but boy it would take me a long time to get used to riding a green horse! So now I'm hoping to get a 6 or 7 year old with more training - or not. I could get used to the horse's movement and it would be fun to train it myself. *sigh* I miss riding Ricos.
  #393   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-09-2013, 03:34 PM
WC! Guide
OH USA

Hails from United States

Hi Tamara. Yes, he will miss working. Some horses have a strong work ethic and enjoy working every day. Both Jack and Ricos are like that. Both of them will be in the pasture here at our house once we get the fields fenced and run-in sheds built - next Spring or Summer. They'll stay at our daughter's farm until then. I tried a young horse at Jen's farm yesterday and oh my goodness, I missed my FEI horse! This mare is green and she felt so uneven, all sprawled out when I'm used to riding a highly collected international level dressage horse. It's such a different feeling, I was nervous at first, but the mare was behaving perfectly - just as a 5 year old greenbroke horse rather than a teenaged FEI horse. *sigh* I miss riding Ricos SO much! We'd just had a HUGE breakthrough in our training the last ride I had before I got pneumonia - which turned out to be my last ride. I was so looking forward to building on that breakthrough and getting even more connection with him! I really miss riding him, but he's still getting cookies and attention I took pictures of him as reference photos for a book I'm writing for new horseowners - he was modeling his splint boots he worked in every day. He also modeled for some other pictures. Jack will probably model for me some too, so they're still being used, just not ridden. *sigh* They were both great rides.
  #394   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-26-2013, 09:54 AM
WC! Guide
OH USA

Hails from United States

I've gotta laugh - I got an email from Amazon on Christmas day (Merry Christmas, BTW!) that asked if I wanted something from their art and photography department, and then they listed books that might interest me. The FIRST BOOK ON THE LIST was "Sculpting 101: A Primer for the Self-taught Artist, Second Edition" by Lynda Sappington (that's ME!) ROTFLMBO!!!!!!!!! The second book was one of Bruno Lucchesi's books, then one on Bernini's style and I don't remember what else, but MY book was listed FIRST, above Lucchesi's!!!!!!!!!!!! Even if it was just a random choice by their computer system, it made my day! heeheehee!
  #395   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-26-2013, 11:42 AM

That would make my day too if it happened. Wow, how fun to get that email! Hope they are sending out more emails like that to others and generate some more sales of your book.

My website My Blog Join me on Facebook
  #396   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-26-2013, 03:35 PM
WC! Guide
OH USA

Hails from United States

My thoughts exactly!!!! From your mouth (or keyboard) to God's ear!!
  #397   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-09-2014, 09:10 PM

I am new to the fourm. I have been a Taxidermist for 40 years retired. I started chainsaw carving.After 3 years my shoulder went out. I have started sculpting in clay. Makeing a silicone mold and makeing resin casts. Hope to learn a lot reading the fourm. ]
  #398   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-09-2014, 04:36 PM
WC! Guide
OH USA

Hails from United States

Hi Taxidermyone! I'm sorry I missed your post until now! When I was starting out in sculpting, I used taxidermy eyes for my sculptures. Now I use earrings or beads that are the right size, and I still use those taxidermy eyes if they're the right size for my piece. I've seen some gorgeous taxidermy, and I've heard that experience with that medium helps if you decide to sculpt.

What are you sculpting? Animals, people, etc? I'd love to see some of your work. Be sure to post some here or in a different thread on the forum when you have something ready.

Welcome to our forum!
  #399   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-09-2014, 05:04 PM

Welcome to the forum! I missed your post as well and want to welcome you here.

My website My Blog Join me on Facebook
  #400   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-10-2014, 04:08 PM

Does anyone sculpt with styrofoam?
  #401   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-11-2014, 10:06 AM
WC! Guide
OH USA

Hails from United States

Klattu uses it for armatures, and I have as well. We make a shape and then cover it with clay, and then detail it. How do you work with it?
  #402   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-11-2014, 11:41 AM

I have carved it to make sculptures before or helped out on production sets to make props and such. Carving it is cool because I can still paint it over and in the end it doesn't even look like it was made from foam.
Also the beads or earrings for taxidermy eyes is a great idea!
Let your creativity soar
  #403   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-11-2014, 03:20 PM
WC! Guide
OH USA

Hails from United States

Yeah, I can't make round eyes out of wax or clay to save my life! I do much better with a hard surface to work around so I can get good expression.

Do you work in the film industry?
  #404   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-16-2014, 10:29 AM

No, though I have always wanted to. I just do projects here and there when I have time, it is a great stress releiver
Let your creativity soar
  #405   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-17-2014, 09:52 AM
WC! Guide
OH USA

Hails from United States

Yup, playing in clay can be a stress reliever too until you get to the detailed part of the sculpture! LOL