Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting New to oil sticks, paint bars

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 108 total)
  • Author
    platapie1

Hi everyone…who is not at a BBQ right now.

Bought some oils sticks yesterday. I haven’t tried a new medium (I use acrylics) in 15 years or so. I am very excited. Anyone out there use these bars or sticks a lot? Be interested in your experience. I drew some squiggles on a small canvas and they just remind me of oil pastels, only much larger, thicker…better. And I really miss drawing. I have a sketchy, thick, frenetic style and I think that these bars might be the answer to my years long artist’s block. My one compaint, as an impatient acrylic user, is that they will take forever to dry! :D

I would love to see some examples of work done with this meduim, or any comments in general.

Merci!

Aimee

www.aimeehoover.com (pet portraits)
        www.aimeehoover.com/fine_art/fa.html (personal work)

The creative act, the defeat of habit by originality, overcomes everything.
        - George Lois

tbezesky

Over the last year I have done lots of experimenting with different media.
            For oil sticks I have tried the Shivas, R&F, Sennelier and Oil bar.
            They are very smelly messy fun. R&F are the creamiest almost too creamy and slow drying. Senneliers are too firm for my taste. To me the Shivas re just right and their the cheapest, and fastest drying. They seem more workable to me.
            I would start with blocking out with washes of oils thinned with Linseed/turp mix. Then draw with the oil sticks on it.
            Another thing you might to experiment with if your coming from acrylics is Water soluble oils. The fastest drying and most like acrylics is the vangogh H2oils. You can even mix them with acrylics and acrylic mediums. The wash up is easy like acrylics too. Thats what I am experimenting with now.

Tracy Bezesky
            New Blog:
            http://www.dailyWIP.com/

Dyin

Hi, I use the Shiva paintstiks and love them. They are inexpensive, but the quality is really good. I used oil pastels before this, but I don’t really use the Paintstiks much like that except for blocking in some large areas. I actually use them with brushes and medium…I usually have 3 or 4 in one hand and use the brush across the top of each, mixing to get the colors I want. They don’t take forever to dry…most are dry to touch overnight, medium can slow it down another day or so though. You can even use them on untraditional supports like wc paper, though not sure if the linseed they’re made with will stay archival forever on paper. I use primed canvas.
                But it’s nice they are versitile…you can scribble, then add a little turp and spread it around, you can do wipe outs really nice and use them more in a drawing manner like you describe if you like. I do nice glazing with them too, by painting into a thin couch of medium over other layers. Just remember they are oils, so the rules still apply…fat over lean, etc. You can mix them with tube oil if you like too.
                I’m sure you’ll like working with them…be sure and show us how it goes. :wave:

Artist webpage
                See my virtual gallery!

Charter Member of Silver Chord Art Guild

platapie1

Great. I will certainly try some of those brands. And, at the risk of sounding like a novice with oils (and I am), what does fat over lean mean? :confused:

I am planning on playing with the sticks tomorrow. Will post something if I am not too thin skinned for comments on that particular day. :wink2:

Thanks again!

Aimée

- George Lois

platapie1

Err, strike that fat over lean question. Just noticed the glaring thread on Oil FAQs with that exact question answered.

Aimée

- George Lois

tubbekans

Well hello Platapie!

I just tried using oil bars for the first time last weekend for the WDE. So I will be interested to hear any advice also. Mind if I tailgate your thread?

Here is a link to my WDE thread, not so great but its my first time using them so I am not super unhappy with it. They certainly are fun to use! I used a canvas board and really like how the texture pulls the paint off the stick. It seems easy to make texture and marks that look similar to brush marks in a way. Now details I haven’t figured out yet. I am using the Shiva so far though I have some Winsor Newton also.

https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=293053

You can try searching on Shiva to find some threads on oil sticks. I didn’t find much when searching for oil bar though.

Paul - Gluten free and happy to be. Celiac Aware.:)
                            http://www.ptfarley.com/

Dyin

Paul, that’s a pretty good first painting, especially for only 2 hours. You can get details several ways, you can load a brush by swiping it across the top of the stick a few times, with or without a little medium; you can use a tortillon (rolled up pointed paper pencil type thingee), a color shaper, or use a little bit on the tip of a small palette knife. You can also cut an edge right into the stick with the knife or razor, but the paint is pretty soft and makes it hard to keep an edge for long. Sometimes I’ve broken off a small piece so I’d have an edge I could roll. It’s possible to get extemely fine detail…I did most of this piece with a brush and medium.

Hope that helps answer some questions :)

Artist webpage
                                See my virtual gallery!

tbezesky

Wow, what kind of oil stick did you use for that head?
                                    Here is some I did, the first I did with Shivas and the second with R&F which was very slippery and messy.

Does anyone else have any oil stick examples? It’s interesting to see what others have done.

I might have to get them out again. I was thinking of starting with water soluble oils as a base and using oil sticks on top. Would it work?

Tracy Bezesky
                                    New Blog:
                                    http://www.dailyWIP.com/

platapie1

Hi all y’all-

I am happy to hear that people are using these things, sticks, bars, what have you. I have been in the studio the last few mornings and have tried the oil stick/acrylic combo. I think I like them better for strong, decisive marks that add to (or start) the painting rather than the whole thing being chock full o’ stick. Will post my “experiment” soon.

By the way, after years of doing mostly commissions and hardly any work for myself, I have been painting quite small–or what I consider small: 20 x 20s, 24 x 24s, 24 x 30s. What’s so great about these oil sticks is that they are so fat, even the slim ones, that I can’t help but use them on a big canvas, like a 48 x 60 which is what I am working on now. Now that’s my kind of camvas. What freedom. I forgot how great working with big brushes can be. My arm is sore.

Question: so I am mixing these oil sticks with my acrylics. All the sudden, I find my brushes coated in oil and not acrylic. I guess I have to go by some turp.

Any recommendations?? I have only used oil twice, 15 years ago I think in college.

Aimée :wink2:

- George Lois

Dyin

Tracy, what cool perspective! I can tell you pretty much use the sticks straight, yes? I came from oil pastels to the sticks, intending to use them that way, but just really like using them more like tube oils for some reason. I did that piece all with Shiva paintstiks, although when i did the verdaccio underpainting I used some tube titanium with the Paintstiks as it was easier to keep the values consistant.
                                            I can ask Michelle Richeson about them working over the water soluable oils and get back to you on that. i know Paintstiks are the same as tube oil, so if you can use that over water soluble, then you can use the Paintstiks. But she can give me a for sure answer.
                                            I’d like to see more people’s work too!

Artist webpage
                                            See my virtual gallery!

Dyin

Aimee…we crossposted lol. You can clean Shiva paintstik with Dawn dish liquid. No turp necessary :) You do it just the same as with acrylic, constantly fanning out the hairs in the palm of your hand so none stay near the ferrule and doing it until the suds turn pure white…works great and conditions the brush. If it gets out of shape I wrap a little piece of paper towel on it while wet and it reforms perfectly. I just did a 2 x 3 foot canvas…for me that’s big lol, would love to see what you’re doing.

Artist webpage
                                                See my virtual gallery!

platapie1

Great – I have Dawn. Thanks for the tip. Might post a painting soon. When not feeling too fragile about it… :) This experimentation thing makes me want to incubate my work – not show it! I even shut the door to my studio now so even my hubby doesn’t know what I am working in. :(

Soon though…

Aimée

- George Lois

Dyin

Aimee, I can understand the fragile feeling. I had gone to see your pet portrait site (very nice) but just now saw your personal link…like WOW! Absolutely great figure work. When you do get ready to post just let everyone know to take it easy, but I have a feeling that won’t be necessary :)

Artist webpage
                                                        See my virtual gallery!

tubbekans

Thanks Dyin for the tips! I might try the knife for lines soon, that sounds like it will work fine. You all are doing great things with the oil sticks/bars. Tracy, your women are looking good there!

Hi Platapie, if you haven’t tried the WDE yet, weekend drawing event, they are pretty fun. You pick a ref pic and then post whatever you get done in 2 hours. And then post updates every 2 hours. At least that is the idea, nobody is going to track that or complain if you do it differently. The WDE’s are a great place to do experimenting with techniques and media. Don’t need to consider if it is a perfect peice, they are not expected to be in 2 hours after all! And WDE has a policy of no critques unless asked for. They are a very freindly bunch of artists there.

They have a still life theme going on the weekend if you are interested in that. Some nice pics by Katju posted and they are already out there, I just looked. Hard to decide which one to do though…

Paul - Gluten free and happy to be. Celiac Aware.:)
                                                            http://www.ptfarley.com/

I’ve just recently been experimenting with paint sticks and water-mixable medium, as it happens. Up to now I’ve been doing something of an underpainting where I mark out an area with the sticks (burnt umber) then blend it out with some w/m medium and water, and it works fairly well, but doesn’t blend as easily as w/m paint from a tube. I do like the texture marks it makes though. I suppose one could use any other fast dry medium with them, like Liquin.

David Blaine Clemons
                                                            ----------------
                                                            My Website
                                                            My Blog

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 108 total)
                                                          • The topic ‘New to oil sticks, paint bars’ is closed to new replies.