WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting > The Technical Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-23-2018, 03:33 PM

What WSO mediums would replicate my traditional Liquin/turps combination for glazing

I am using Holbein Duo paints which are a wonderful buttery texture and brilliant color now that I've switched from traditional oils. My style of painting requires layers of glazing and scumbling so I need to have my surfaces dry in a day or so for applying the next layer. With traditional oils I had 2 cups of medium, Liquin in one and turps in the other. I'd dip my brush in each, pick up paint from my palette and glaze my canvas. The paint went on smoothly and thinly and was dry the next day for me to begin again.

In trying to replicate this process I've been exploring many combinations of Holbein mediums and I'm now crossing over to other brands trying to come up with the perfect recipe. Some of my trials are still sitting with tacky surfaces after 4 weeks with fans blowing on them every night.

I truly want to stay with the WSO paints if I can but it is imperative for me to solve this workflow issue.

Thank you!
Mary Ahern
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-26-2018, 04:43 AM

Hails from Netherlands
Re: What WSO mediums would replicate my traditional Liquin/turps combination for glazing

Zest-it makes a nice thinner medium that I think is pretty turpentine-like
(that you can also mix with something like walnut oil, if you want to slightly slow down the drying, or thicken it).

http://www.zest-it.com/products.htm

Looks like they also actually make a glazing medium.
(Amazon seems to sell Zest it in the US, lots of other options in the UK/Netherlands too.)

Edit - if all else fails, you can also use Liquin and turp with WMOs..

Last edited by highwaykind : 02-26-2018 at 04:52 AM.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-26-2018, 07:59 AM
A Local Legend
Tbilisi, Georgia

Hails from Georgia
Re: What WSO mediums would replicate my traditional Liquin/turps combination for glazing

Krylon "Quick dry" spray can help with drying time. It is made from non-toxic Calcium and Zirconium driers and propellant. It do not forms any films, just improve drying properties of oil paint. Spray it lightly on the painting surface to force drying. Fans are absolutely not effective. Direct sun light exposition can help, however.

Last edited by Gigalot : 02-26-2018 at 08:02 AM.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-26-2018, 09:04 AM
WC! Guide
Rochester, NY

I believe most of the WMO brands sell a fast drying medium. Even though it may take a while, trying them yourself may be the only way to find out which one - if any - meet your needs. Presuming you have switched to WMOs to avoid solvents, in which case there are still some traditional mediums that are solvent free that you could try, such as M. Graham's Walnut Alkyd medium.

Holbein has numerous quick drying mediums for WMO:

https://www.dickblick.com/products/h...nting-mediums/

Daniel Smith has a couple:

https://www.dickblick.com/products/d...e-oil-mediums/

Don

My Blog My Art Gallery My Photo Gallery
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-26-2018, 11:15 AM
A Local Legend
Tbilisi, Georgia

Hails from Georgia

Holbein Aqua Duo proposed as oil paint, which you can safely mix with any Acrylic paint. You can admix acrylic paint to it for fastest drying result.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2018, 05:06 AM

Hails from Netherlands

PS - Since this was your first post and it might not be the default setting: if you want to get an email when someone replies to you, click on 'thread tools' at the top of this post and Subscribe. (You can change this setting to be default on in your profile settings somewhere too.)
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2018, 03:39 PM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigalot
Krylon "Quick dry" spray can help with drying time. It is made from non-toxic Calcium and Zirconium driers and propellant. It do not forms any films, just improve drying properties of oil paint. Spray it lightly on the painting surface to force drying. Fans are absolutely not effective. Direct sun light exposition can help, however.

Alex, I've used this product and can vouch for it's drying effectiveness. It does say the paint should be touch dry before using it, though. I've ignored that recommendation on occasion but that wasn't necessarily wise.

Mary, Welcome to WC! PLEASE NOTE: it is VERY IMPORTANT to take the warnings on the QuickDry can about the need for ventilation VERY seriously. This is strong stuff, much more dangerous than turps because it's airborne. I suggest always taking the artwork outside to spray, and before spraying, making sure you know the wind direction and adjusting so you are sure not to have any of the mist wafting back at you. Plan on leaving the piece outside for a bit, because there will be fumes coming off of it for a while. Every time I use it I worry that's it's harming me somehow. But then I know I'm a worrier and it's saved me on more than one occasion when I had to get something to an exhibit that wasn't dry enough yet.

Also be sure to use very thin coats. And be careful about adding additional coats, each one of which will make the surface more glossy; if you don't want a glossy surface, this product may not be for you.

As far as mediums are concerned, I'm only starting with WMOs myself, and can't help much except to say that I've seen it said here that sometimes crossing one WMO paint brand with a different WMO medium brand doesn't work. You might consider looking at WMO Mediums on Dick Blick's website ( https://www.dickblick.com/water-misc...diums/details/ ), as they carry most of the major brands, and the details they provide may help you with finding what you need.

“Life is a pure flame and we live by an invisible sun within us.”
― Sir Thomas Browne

Last edited by AnnieA : 03-05-2018 at 03:51 PM.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-06-2018, 08:28 AM
WC! Guide
Rochester, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA
Mary, Welcome to WC! PLEASE NOTE: it is VERY IMPORTANT to take the warnings on the QuickDry can about the need for ventilation VERY seriously. This is strong stuff, much more dangerous than turps because it's airborne. I suggest always taking the artwork outside to spray, and before spraying, making sure you know the wind direction and adjusting so you are sure not to have any of the mist wafting back at you. Plan on leaving the piece outside for a bit, because there will be fumes coming off of it for a while.

I would expand upon AnnieA's comments by recommending that not only should you spray outside, but also to wear a respirator whenever spraying.

Don

My Blog My Art Gallery My Photo Gallery
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2018, 01:51 AM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAK723
I would expand upon AnnieA's comments by recommending that not only should you spray outside, but also to wear a respirator whenever spraying.

Don

Yes, that's good advice, Don, and especially applies to the QuickDry product which has particularly strong and persistent fumes that don't dissipate readily.

“Life is a pure flame and we live by an invisible sun within us.”
― Sir Thomas Browne

#10   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-25-2018, 11:43 AM

Hails from United States

I glaze with Winsor Newton's Safflower Oil. Doesn't take too terribly long to dry, depending on the pigment I mix with it, and there are no fumes. Isn't as fast as Liquin, but it isn't bad. I've tried the Lukas quick dry, and it dried so quick, it made a mess of some of my brushes :^D
Good luck, whatever you use!
Peace,
Regina
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-25-2018, 11:48 AM

Hails from United States

Should have specified -- I meant Winsor Newton's Artison Safflower oil, specifically for use with water solubles.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-09-2018, 07:22 PM

Mary, sorry I'm late:

Liquin-OMS is best approximated by:

Liquin + safflower oil ... which cleans with soap & water.
Or just use your Liquin+Turps (in droplet fashion) and wash with safflower oil ... then soap & water.

No medium Holbein Duo (or anyone else) puts out ... comes near the flow of Liquin+OMS/Turps. Holbein mediums are hideous for me.

You can also try my WMO medium recipe for darks colors (which has all the flow benefits and 'unfortunate yellowing' of Bill Martin's medium):

1pt Medium W (by Weber)
1pt WMO linseed oil (Duo or Artisan)
1pt Walnut oil
1pt Oil of spike
1/2 pt Canadian Balsam (or Ven Turpentine)

Utmost blessings!
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-12-2018, 01:17 PM
A Local Legend
Tbilisi, Georgia

Hails from Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docpro
Mary, sorry I'm late:

Liquin-OMS is best approximated by:

Liquin + safflower oil ... which cleans with soap & water.
Or just use your Liquin+Turps (in droplet fashion) and wash with safflower oil ... then soap & water.

No medium Holbein Duo (or anyone else) puts out ... comes near the flow of Liquin+OMS/Turps. Holbein mediums are hideous for me.

You can also try my WMO medium recipe for darks colors (which has all the flow benefits and 'unfortunate yellowing' of Bill Martin's medium):

1pt Medium W (by Weber)
1pt WMO linseed oil (Duo or Artisan)
1pt Walnut oil
1pt Oil of spike
1/2 pt Canadian Balsam (or Ven Turpentine)

Utmost blessings!
Linseed oil yellows due to a contaminants. \some of oil painting medium components can cause yellowing much more than other components because they are such contaminants. Check what ingredient is a contaminant agent!
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-05-2018, 12:41 AM

hi,

I am going to try the Chelsea Classical Studio Lavender lean and fat mediums. I saw a youtube video from Jerry's Artarama. I like to have a toned under painting and still use the odorless mineral spirits for that. You might want to check that out.