WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#286   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-30-2018, 10:35 PM
WC! Guide
Central Oklahoma

Hails from United States
Re: As the Oily Rag Burns..... March 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delofasht
Nancy, Why did the company you work for prefer watercolors to oils though, drying times?

Just the time that oils take. First I was with an ad agency, and we didn't do a lot of color back then, we needed to be fast, so most of my art was in pencil or ink. I'll never forget making a drawing of a new grocery cart. And with all the interlacing wires, I'm surprised my eyes didn't go bad!

When I took a job as an illustrator at Aircraft Owners in Maryland, I had a lot of fun, because I did watercolor illustrations of faraway places where aviators got to fly. And I was thrilled to meet a member who played Mr. Spock on TV while I was there.

When I came back to Oklahoma, I worked at the newspaper until I retired. It was another hurry up and get it done job, so it was back to ink and pencil. I won a number of awards there, and it felt so good to be back here at home! I suppose you could say that I was in art all my life. It keeps me a lot happier than anything else I could do.

#287   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-30-2018, 10:40 PM
WC! Guide
Central Oklahoma

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtpalms
The meeting went okay. Being new to the group, nearly everything flew over my head, but they said that's okay, I will get the hang of it. Didn't get home until 2 pm and I was pretty exhausted (side trips to Trader Joes and Lowe's). Then Boss from Hell called and I let it go to voicemail and took a 20 minute nap.

He just wanted me to bring the laptop up to his place because he was interviewing a new bookkeeper. For once, I was more than happy to oblige, and run up to him as fast as lightning.

Got back, worked on labels for the witch doctor, caught up on email, and now I am wondering where the day went? Maybe it is waiting for me in my little spot under the fairy lanterns.

Wow, Marcia, you are really going to get to see the last of BFL. Just make sure you change your phone number in case he's not happy with the new bookkeeper!

#288   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-30-2018, 10:51 PM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

Marcia, sounds like a full and productive day...congrats on the handing off of the laptop!!
“Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.” ........ “Not till we are completely lost or turned around... do we begin to find ourselves.” ........ “All good things are wild and free.” ........ “This world is but a canvas for our imagination.” ...... "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” Henry David Thoreau
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #289   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-30-2018, 11:18 PM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delo
Within the realm of abstraction, the thought of what and why should at least be hinted at in some way. Even more interesting is the idea that a perfectly blank surface would likely be the ultimate question, of what and why with no explanation whatsoever.
Actually, I think the idea of the completely blank canvas hanging on the gallery wall has already been done. It seems there's nothing new under the sun as far as art is concerned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delo
...I found out we got approved for a townhouse that we had been waiting to hear a response back from. So right after rearranging, I had to pack it all up and start moving it into the new place.
Delo, let's hope things get better so you'll be able to stick around here in the U.S. When you say you're relocating somewhere in the U.S., and then that you have a new townhouse, does that mean the new place is near where you are now? At any rate, I don't envy you but hope the move goes quickly and smoothly.

Marcia, I have some solar lights like yours that developed a break in the strand so I took them down and I had forgotten how magical they are. Now I absolutely have to repair them or buy a new set as soon as it's warm enough to sit outside. For me, that may mean some time in July! Mine don't shine as bright as yours since my balcony is darker during the day, but oh, they're so lovely! It's great that you've created such a lovely spot for yourself to relax. So is the separation from tBfH all official and complete now? Glad to hear the meeting went well.

Nancy, oh yes, oils are my true love, just like they are for you, although every so often I dabble in something else. The only drawback...well, the only two drawbacks are that they take so darn long to dry, and that they seem to require way more space than anything else. But I forgive them because they're so beautiful.

Marcia and Delo, I agree with you both about how interesting it is to have so many different approaches to, and philosophies of, art here at WC.

“Life is a pure flame and we live by an invisible sun within us.”
― Sir Thomas Browne

Last edited by AnnieA : 03-31-2018 at 12:09 AM.
  #290   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-30-2018, 11:37 PM
WC! Guide
Central Oklahoma

Hails from United States

Happy Easter to all of you!

#291   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-31-2018, 12:06 AM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States

Well, I was going to wait until tomorrow, but I guess this works for Caturday too...

Happy Easter Everyone!
and also...

Happy Passover!

“Life is a pure flame and we live by an invisible sun within us.”
― Sir Thomas Browne

Last edited by AnnieA : 03-31-2018 at 12:12 AM.
  #292   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-31-2018, 05:19 AM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

Decided it was time to get on with it...so stayed up and painted tonight...this one is 5 foot x 4 foot and at the moment has no title...the values and colour are not perfect in the photos but best I can do at least for now.

Name:  Painting 1 resize.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  229.9 KB

Name:  resize painting.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  184.5 KB
“Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.” ........ “Not till we are completely lost or turned around... do we begin to find ourselves.” ........ “All good things are wild and free.” ........ “This world is but a canvas for our imagination.” ...... "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” Henry David Thoreau
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #293   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-31-2018, 09:39 AM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

few small tweaks...

Name:  Painting2 resize.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  221.0 KB
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #294   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-31-2018, 10:37 AM
A WC! Legend

Wow Becca, it never ceases to amaze me how fast you work and with such grace.

Happy Caturday Oilycats!!!

I happened to see this captioned one elsewhere about the same time Annie posted it.

And for Easter eve
  #295   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-31-2018, 12:20 PM
Enthusiast
Oregon

Hails from United States

Usually, my abstracts are accidents. I did make a few in a class and I am thinking using some for a background. DH says I need more background.
  #296   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-31-2018, 12:55 PM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

Thank you Marcia, that is kind of you to say...
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #297   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-31-2018, 06:19 PM
WC! Guide
Central Oklahoma

Hails from United States

Becca, it's Adam and Eve in the garden of Eden! Beautifully done!

Has anyone noticed that tomorrow is also April Fool's Day as well as Easter Sunday? EEK! I think Passover was last night. Or does it go on through tomorrow, too?

#298   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-31-2018, 06:34 PM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

LOL...thanks Nancy, and it is funny for April Fool's day to be Easter as well....
Becca's Fine Art my blog