Home Forums Explore Media Pastels Soft Pastel Talk fixing pastels on velour paper

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    chrismoose

hi there,

i am wondering if you can ever really fix a velour pastel painting? i had finished a painting and gave it 2 coats of w&n pastel fixative lightly.(maybe once more, i cant remember) then i tested it by giving it a hearty bump on the floor….A lot of pastel still fell out of the paper. i was quite surprised.
        i worry that the paper will buckle if i apply too much spray to it (which it is actually doing, but that, i think, is due to me not having taped around the whole painting, just the corners and such.). after all, it is not as heavy a support as A.S. colourfix..etcs..

any fixative users out there? any that use it VERY liberally?!
        ignoring any color change issues for now please – this is just a Q on how fixed can you actually get a pastel painting fixed?! because i may be running into a problem of framers no longer wanting/willing/wishing, to frame a non fixed piece!

cheers.
        chris.

Bringer

Hi Chris,

First let me ask you, what brand of velour paper do you use ?
            I use Hanehmuhle’s 260grs and the pastel holds well to it; of course that I don’t apply the same number of layers that I apply on a sanded paper.
            Yes I do apply a bit of fixative (not to really fix but to avoid a more eminent dislodge of the most superficial dust). Then I usually retouch some highlights.
            I apply the fixative very thinly and at a more than sugested distance.
            And I usually apply more than one coat (2 or 3) and will wait a considerable amount of time between them. It barelly changes the colour because of the very thin application (like a mist).
            And I use Talens Pastel Fixative.

Kind regards,

José

Read about it on my Blog

I'm not lazy because I sleep until late. I just dream alot.

chrismoose

hi bringer

i use the same velour paper as you. have you ever tried ‘dropping’ your board!!! from a height of a couple of inches?..or at least giving it a hard tap on a solid surface? do you get any dust coming off? do you still get dust on your fingers if you touch the painting after you have applied fixative?
                do you think we can apply enough fixative to make it so there would not be (hardly) any pastel dust coming off?
                cheers.
                chris.

Bringer

Hi again,

If I tap the board (it’s a thin wood board) where I fix the work, the pastel doesn’t fall. Of course that when I say doesn’t fall I mean an amount that will modify the works aspect. And I also don’t tap it like I’m beating the hell out it :-)
                    Yes, there will always dust on my fingers if I touch the painting, even after the fixative. But then again there are more amusing things to touch with one’s fingers :-) Don’t touch it !
                    One could apply lots of fixative – inclusively there are people who apply an acrylic gel – however that will as far as I’m aware, reduce the brilliancy of the work.
                    I would like to remind you though that you should always research for new things and what’s true nowadays, may not be tomorow. So, there may exist or exist in the future some fixative that will perform as you wish.
                    One thing I can tell you, I’ve sent framed works abroad and they got there just fine.
                    Hope I was somewhat useful.

Anyway, you may read this email that I got sometime ago from Fred Parker :

«Dear José: Thank you for asking. I have experimented with various methods… some failed… But, eventually I figured it out. I use soft pastels. I use 100% rag acid free paper. About 150 lb, hot pressed. Knowing I will eventually use liquid acrylic to coat the pastel image (which would otherwise warp the paper once wetted), I first build a wooden panel (usually a door-skin with 1″x2″ boards at the rear outer edges). I seal the panel with an oil base primer so the wood will not contaminate the back of the paper. I then saturate the paper with water (like a watercolorist might do) and while still damp, gently stretch it over the panel (staples at the edges like an oil painter would stretch canvas). Once the paper is dry, it is tight like a drum. The paper is then ready for the pastel image. Once I have finished the pastel, I then use a small brush and apply a clear acrylic (“varnish” or “medium”) right on top of the pastel. I use a small brush and keep to one color at a time to minimize smearing. If smears occur, I try to use them as part of the image or wipe them off before the acrylic has a chance to dry. After I have given most of the image a single coat with the small brush, I then use a larger brush and really coat the entire image. There is a considerable difference in the look of the pastel once it is wetted (not unlike what would occur if you used a spray fixative). If you are a “pastel purist” you would probably not like the changes. In my case, I consider the change to be acceptable. Especially since there is no longer any need for glass to protect the image. Because I had stretched the paper while it was wet, the application of the acrylic moisture has no effect on the paper. I leave the paper attached to the panel, but it can be removed if necessary. Usually, I just frame the whole thing as it is. As you can see with several works on my web site, I often create (in pastel) a trompe ‘loeil mat around the image area. With the panel behind and the acrylic in front, there is little that can damage the art once it is framed.
                    I have often used acrylic inks, pencil and watercolor (after I have mounted the paper) before I start using the pastels. Taking advantage of the characteristics of each medium… details with the pen or pencil… softness with the watercolor… and color and texture with the pastels. A multi-layered cake. You just have to do the layers in correct order.
                    Hope that answers your questions. Let me know if I can be of further help…..»

And here are some works from him :

http://www.parkerfineart.com/Galleries/pastels.html

Kind regards,

José

Read about it on my Blog

Don Ketchek

I use velour – sounds like the same brand – and the reason I use it is because I don’t have to use fixitive. Perhaps the technique used has a lot to do with the amount of dust that is on the sheet. With velour I would recommend a very soft touch. I never press hard so there is never a heavy amount of pastel going into the velour. With velour I do not need a dust catcher at the bottom of my board. I have one there, but it is completely empty. And I never drop my board, or tap the back to knock off the access pastel. I want my pastel on the paper – why knock it off?

I used to use fixative when working on Canson or Strathmore paper. You can spray a dozen times and in all likelihood you will still get some pastel on your finger if you touch it. That is the nature of the medium. It seems very fragile, but if you keep them covered (I use cheap tracing paper), they will last. I have pastels over 30 years old – never framed – that still look fine.

chrismoose

yep i agree with all of you but still wanted to know:)
                            and what happens if someone else drops the painting?…
                            you’re right, velour does hold a lot of pastel in its knap. but it does come out just as easily with a knock.
                            thanks though.
                            chris.

eagle owl

I recently tried Hahnemuhle – I bought Lesley Harrison’s book – and didn’t have much success no matter how carefully I applied the pastel. I followed her instructions but as soon as I gently tapped it on the reverse a lot of pastel came off.

I understand that it’s not good to thump the painting but as chrismoose asks “what happens if someone else drops the painting?”, or even knocks it – the client for example.

I love the effect of animal fur on velour but my concern about most of the picture disappearing en route to the client is too strong. Can you absolutely guarantee that no pastel will fall off your work?

Carol

Bringer

Hi Carol,

As you may read on my second answer I’ve shipped abroad famed works on velour and they got there just fine. Even using Sennelier and Schmincke for last touches.

Kind regards,

José

Read about it on my Blog

chrismoose

exactly Carol.

thats just how i feel!!
                                        velour is great to work on (belive it or not) – even though you havent really got the chance to erase etc – but you can over paint!!:)
                                        i do worry about client/shipping ‘bumps’ coupled with the fact that a framer is ‘moaning’ that pastels are too finiky to mat and frame – what with the slightest chance of dust coming onto the mount and therefore dirtying it – maybe the framer is too much of a perfectionist :) and doesnt want to handle something that might ruin his perfection:)!!
                                        i have the lesley harrison book aswell:) great book!!
                                        cheers.
                                        chris.

eagle owl

Chris

I liked working on it also.

Think I might do a portrait and post it to myself so that I can see how it looks :wink2:

Carol

Miss Abby

Hello from hot (115 degrees) and sunny Arizona. I took Lesley Harrison’s 3-day workshop last week in CA. She is a wonderful teacher. I have painted on velour since discovering her book about 3-4 years ago. She is no longer using Hannamuhle velour board. She has found another paper that we used in class. It is called Pro Art and is only available wholesale or at Arizona Art Supply if you live in this area. Lesley and the students all agreed that it is much nicer to work on than Hannamuhle as it is much softer and gives lovely results. The drawback is that it does not come mounted on board as Hannamuhle does. Lesley has her framer mount it for her. I asked my framer but it was just too expensive so I tried it myself but it was a mess to do and I could not get it smooth without bubbles. I have also used Sueded Mat Board which I get from my framer. I have never used fixative on any of the velours but I now have a big commission that must be shipped and I am nervous about some pastel coming off in transit. What can I say, I’m a worrier and this is a big commission for me. Lesley has her framer put her paintings directly on the glass-no mat-no spacers so the glass actually holds the velour in the paper. I have not done this yet but plan to do it. I tested a scrap and sprayed fixative after 3-4 layers and it made the paper stiff and no longer nice and smooth to work on. So far, due to lack of success of finding ProArt mounted on board, I am going with the sueded mat board. When comparing the three, Hannamuhle felt scratchy compared to ProArt and the mat board. I am a bit afraid to spray and also to not spray. But it does makes sense to me that if the painting is directly on the glass then any loose pastel has no place to go. Holding my breath until this painting is done and in the hands of my client. How do you all feel about this way of framing?:confused:

Blayne

Chris, I did a sample where I put a thick layer of a very soft Sennelier on the paper then sprayed it with two light coats of finish varnish–the type of spray varnish used on oil paintings. That pastel did NOT move, even if I rubbed hard! However, the varnish darkened the color a couple of values, and it is my understanding that using varnish is not recommended because any future darkening of the varnish could not be cleaned without ruining the painting.

Miss Abby, I have framed several pieces of my work, including two on velour, directly under glass. No problems yet, but it’s only been a couple of years that I’ve worked in pastel. Isn’t that method called passe-partout? Google for info on how to. I find it much easier than dealing with a mat, which always seems to get pastel dust on it.

[FONT=Book Antiqua]Blayne C & C always welcome
                                                    "Art and I have an agreement... I won't ask where we are going and art won't ask, "Why me?" (Bob Brendle)

If you want to use a fixative, use SPECTRAFIX. it is NON TOXIC, so using several layers will not affect your lungs.

I gave up on velour yonks ago. I never felt it was a good surface for pastels, in fact, I thought it was pretty daft as a surface. I saw someone drop a precious painting on the floor and the entire image seemed to drift upwards in a cloud! After that, I decided there are so many other lovely surfaces to use, why use one that does not properly grip the pastel?

If you are determined to use it, then I would recommend that when you have finished your work, you cover it with a sheet of shiny paper of some kind, and “burnish” the back of that sheet so that you are pressing the pastel into the surface of the velour. It might help to secure the pastel onto the soft surface. Then, give it a very light spray of fix, leave to dry. Go back when it is dry, and given another very light spray, just a short burst. You can do this quite a few times. If you do not drench the work, the colours will not darken in the same way.

Don Ketchek

I also do what Jackie has recommended – burnish the painting when done on velour. People have had various success with velour. Many folks mention (as Jackie has) that the pastel can come off or move substantially. This is because the pastel particles often remain on top of the velour threads and never penetrate into the surface. Personally, I have used velour many times and find that these types of problems happen most with any type of softer pastel. When using medium hard pastels (such as Rembrandt), I did not have this type of pastel fall-off. But burnishing is definitely recommended in all cases.

As for fixative – I believe there have been threads on the forum that recommend not using fixative with velour. I can’t remember exactly why, but I know that I had problems in a couple cases where the fixative did not “spread and cover” but left spots all over the painting. I would definitely test using fixative on a scrap piece of velour before using fixative on your final painting.

I believe framing right up to the glass is popular in drier climates, but the theory is that in more humid climates, this is a riskier proposition. Hopefully those with more knowledge and experience on that subject will chime in.

Don

ligerwolve

I always frame directly under glass like Lesley Harrison recommends. I have done so for probably 10 years or more. If you do that it holds up beautifully. I also only give the velour a quick going over with fixative but then redo whites as they dull. Under direction from a framer we tried finding ways to frame it the proper way but it never works. Straight under glass is the best protection.

[FONT="Lucida Console"]LIGERWOLVE DESIGNS
                                                            [FONT="Courier New"]ligerwolvedesigns.com

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.