Home Forums Explore Media Watercolor The Learning Zone How to Paint Grass, Weeds or Reeds

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    baeserj

I have enjoyed the many subjects covered in this web site but have not found anything on how to paint realistic grass, weeds or reeds.
        I have seen the example of ‘spatter’ painting for trees and bushes but have not been happy with my attempts at fields of grain or other types of grasses.

Does someone have any suggestions as to where to look or how to paint it?

I started painting about a year ago after a week long Elderhostel class. I had an art class about 40 years ago and have enjoyed this ‘new’ hobby. I have learned that any piece I do is an experiment and it will never be ‘perfect’. That keeps me going.

Ron B.

Ron B.
        [FONT=Verdana]"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once they grow up." Pablo Picasso

FriendCarol

Hi, Ron, and welcome to WC! and to the w/c forums. :) There is a trick to grass, but it is a very easy trick: it’s a brush called a ‘rigger’ or a ‘liner.’ A book by Jack Reid, titled something like “Let’s Get Started” will tell you all about it, including how to use it. (An artist showed me one many, many years ago, when I marveled at his painting. Just one of those tricks of the trade, so easy when you know the secret.)

Please don’t buy the fugitive (i.e., not lightfast) pigments Mr. Reid recommends — but in all other ways, that’s a really good w/c book for beginners like us. :)

P.S. If you want simple fields, btw, rather than a few long stems, a fan brush is helpful. Or, pinch a round brush at its base and use that as a fan.

[FONT=Times New Roman]Audacity allows you to be at ease with your inadequacy, safe in the knowledge that while things may not be perfect, they are at least under way.
            Robert Genn[/I]

Creating Textures in Watercolor: A Guide to Painting 83 Textures from Grass to Glass to Tree Bark to Fur by Cathy Johnson

ISBN: 0891344179

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0891344179/104-5692598-0110312?v=glance&n=283155

JJ
            Let go of past mistakes and hurts. Forgive and empower yourself. Live the life you were meant to live. And, be at peace with yourself.
            MY BLOG
            My Youtube videos

A deft touch with rigger is the way, quick upward strokes.

there is another technique which I often use. Paint a horizontal stroke, then use a dry fingernail to smudge the paint upwards before it dries. useful for clumps of grass in a field for example:

Doug

We must leave our mark on this world

Kurt R.

Thanx Yorky, never thought of using my fingers, I will definately give that a try!

KuRt :wave:

"If you want to say 'I can't', rather say,' I can't yet"!

baeserj

Thanks to all.
                    I have put the books on hold at the library and will look into their examples.
                    Your suggestion Yorky, looks like one I could have used on my painting of “Fenced In”. I’ll be posting it in the Janurary gallery as soon as I get done with this note.

Ron B.

Ron B.
                    [FONT=Verdana]"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once they grow up." Pablo Picasso

I also use a rigger to create grasses. Here’s the complete painting – I did a variagated wash on the field first then added the clumps of grass.

Doug

We must leave our mark on this world

baeserj

Thanks to all for the advice on ‘GRASS’.

This is my latest attempt with grass:
                        https://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=51979
                        As usual, it comes from experimenting,(and playing)!

Ron B.

Ron B.

Uschi

Hi Ron and WELCOME!!!

I am mostly a flower painter but have had the occasional go at landscape.My suggestion would be to do in the front with the grass what you did in the back just shorter and greener and when the sheen is almost gone on the paper scratch out (swift movement) some light blades and add a few darker ones.
                            Uschi

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.