Home Forums Explore Media Glass Art Breathing dust from cheap beads

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    TeaTrekkie

My daughter made a few bracelets the other day. She noticed some white powder that came off the beads while she was stringing them. I didn’t think anything of it other than it was just what you get with cheap beads. I finally looked closer at them yesterday and the elastic was covered with the dust and it just wouldn’t go away, even with washing them thoroughly.

So, this morning I’m reading all about bead release and freaking out that she inhaled silica! She probably did about 10 bracelets over the course of a few hours. I know it’s not much exposure, but should I still be worried about this?

Do you know who manufactured the beads? If so, I would contact them and ask what the powder is.

The Purple Dog Painting Blog
        Find me on Instagram
        Find me on Facebook

TeaTrekkie

Thanks. I do have the container they came in, but it’s from many years ago and probably from China. We went to Michael’s the other day and saw similar beads with similar dust on the ends there too. :(

I found this thread (click link) which doesn’t help much but it looks like people do wash them but it takes a while to get the cheaper ones clean.

Maybe you can write Michael’s and ask them what it is, they should have a contact email on their website. I imagine they’ll find out easily enough and let you know.

The Purple Dog Painting Blog
            Find me on Instagram
            Find me on Facebook

Pesto126

If they are cheap beads from China – I would be concerned.. but not about such short term exposure… I wouldn’t continue using them though.

trike girl

you can soak them, but you would need a reamer to clean them. I use a dremel attachment to clean the beads I make. Bead release can have a lot of different things in it. I mix two together to get the results I want. If you do clean them with a reamer, you should do it with water. This keeps the dust down and help loosen the release.

Kare
                  Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.