Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting Oil Painting – Hall of Fame February : a painting a day challenge

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Marie-Thomas

Last year I participated in a painting a day challenge in february and I would like to do this again.

If you would like to join you can choose between 3 possibilities

1) a painting a day
        2) a painting every 3 days
        3) a painting a week

paint anything you like as long as its in oils

Marie-Thomas

There were 2 other people who wanted to join in on the other thread. I hope they find their way to this one :wave:

It was 5PM already when I got home today and I had no idea what to paint so I started this small study of a cast. I have plans doing this cast painting in a bigger size following the classical method and todays study will surely help.

moscatel

Marie-Thomas, I was looking for the thread you started as it looked like it was wiped out somewhere. Glad you started a new one.
                Well done with your first day painting. The classical methods is good way to learn. I like the form and direction of light in your painting.

I try to paint 30 min paintings. Color mixing not counted in that. The following vase took me 45 min. It was too complicated for shorter time.

Day 1. “Ceramic vase”, 15×22 cm, oil on wood.

ianuk

Well done on finding the time. Waxwing vases are very popular, lovely birds which I recognised straight away so even though it’s skewed. I like it.

I sent you a PM about the other thread, please check.

Lady Mars Orange Marmalade Stapleford
                    Moderator: OIls, Pastels, Plein Air

Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken. -Oscar Wilde

Marie-Thomas

Hi Moscatel. Brave thing tackling a vase for a fast painting. I looked at some as well yesterday but the ellipsis scare me each time :lol: I’ll try one later this week but without image on them. Hard enough as it is.

I really like your brushstrokes on the vase and on the birds. So glad you could join in.

moscatel

Hi back, Marie-Thomas. It’s good that there are two of us doing this. I think we’ll be fine. Posting couple of dailies per week is ok (painting every 3 days) – I think I’ll be doing just that. I’m doing almost every day but some turn out quite terrible. :lol: I was doing plein air today cause the weather was so nice .. must think twice if to post it .. You are correct the ellipses are tricky, my approach is first to draw a quadrilateral with paint brush.

Marie-Thomas

Must look up quadrilateral :-)

Here is my second go. Nowhere near finished but glad I dared tackling this one. Got a bunch of flowers today so ymorrow and following days probably tulips, tulips and tulips.

moscatel

Marie-Thomas, beautiful portrait! Is he someone special?
                                    … quadrilateral :D … my selection of words, lol, maybe there’s another word for it.

I will post two paintings. The first one is another vase with tulips (what a coincidence Marie-Thomas you mentioned you will be getting real tulips) :thumbsup: I have had these vases forever and always planed to paint them.

Painting #2. “Vase with Tulips”, oil on wood, 15×22 cm.
                                    Was going to paint it in 30 min but it was too hard .. reds are difficult, when it’s dry I might try to finish it.

moscatel

Painting #3. “Jar of flowers”, oil on gessoed card board (pizza box actually), size: small hand size. This was an experiment palette …

Marie-Thomas

Actually, the “he” is a “she” but my mother also thought I painted her brother in stead of her :lol: Just the last born in the family. My Nephew’s kid.

I know reds are super difficult that was the reason I added the little red ribbon on the plaster cast. I thought I might tackle it with an inch at a time. But you decided to go all in with the reds I see.

I really like the colour harmony in the third painting. It looks very pleasing. I’m curious about your experimental limited palette?

Here is painting nr 3 alias tulip nr 1. I plan on doing this one a few times (or one of her fellow flowers) to see if I progress and to experiment with different backgrounds. I’d love to be able to get more colour harmony. It was painted with a warm/cool palette of the primaries.

moscatel

It’s hard to tell sometimes if kids are girls/boys but I was thinking about it for a while because there’s also something girlish to your portrait but decided to write ‘him’. So good portrait anyway!

Love your tulip! Beautiful! In my mind when you mentioned you will be painting tulips I thought immediately red color but foolish me there are yellow tulips also. Well done! You asked about the palette, I’m experimenting with zorn palette but I have here added also some other colors and I have changed two of his palette colors to ones that are not exactly the same but close. The following landscape is done the same way.

I wasn’t suppose to post today but since I got daily painting done I can as well post it:

Painting #4. “View from my studio window early this morning”, 27×24 cm, oil on canvas

Marie-Thomas

Nice view.

Painting nr 4

Marie-Thomas

Painting number 5 or tulip number 3

moscatel

Marie-Thomas, good series of tulips! What support are you painting on? Are they 20 cm or smaller size? You could post these to Geoff’s life painting thread as well since you paint these from life flowers.

A few more daily paintings from me done the past days.

Painting #5. “Elephant”, 17x20cm, oil on thick wood. Elephant itself took 30 minutes to paint. Didn’t want to spend more time on it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.