Home Forums Explore Media Drawing and Sketching new artist here

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Jdolecek48

I’m new to drawing and i’m just drawn to sketching nature. trees,mountains, streams and stuff like that…..right now i’m trying to learn how to draw trees. i’m spending time on youtube. i notice that these guys can draw an amazing tree, so trying to learn i can never draw a tree as good as these instructors, should i keep trying to draw the same tree over and over again? until it looks like a good type of tree? also once i get to where i can draw a good tree?

virgil carter

Well…there are many, many ways to approach sketching and drawing. A lot depends on your purpose for sketching and drawing. For example, are you sketching or drawing in order to begin painting? Do you want to complete a “finished” drawing? Are you simply “sketching” without wanting to make a full, complete work? Are you working in a sketch book, a larger individual sheet, or something else?

So, without more information it’s challenging to give an answer which will be applicable.

But…here’s one approach: Instead of trying to capture a full and realistic rendering of the subject tree, have you considered simplifying your approach by sketching and drawing visually interesting “shapes”?

A tree (or any other subject) is really nothing more than a shape. A shape is defined by it’s outline. Thus, you may be able to simplify your work by simply looking at the outline of the tree (or any other subject) and sketching/drawing that outline.

Forget trying to draw each and every trunk and branch. Forget trying to render ever single leaf. Simply concentrate on the outline of all the major shapes and draw them.

Good luck on your sketching and drawing journey!

Sling paint,
            Virgil

Sling paint,
            Virgil Carter
            http://www.virgilcarterfineart.com/

Jdolecek48

Well…there are many, many ways to approach sketching and drawing. A lot depends on your purpose for sketching and drawing. For example, are you sketching or drawing in order to begin painting? Do you want to complete a “finished” drawing? Are you simply “sketching” without wanting to make a full, complete work? Are you working in a sketch book, a larger individual sheet, or something else?

So, without more information it’s challenging to give an answer which will be applicable.

But…here’s one approach: Instead of trying to capture a full and realistic rendering of the subject tree, have you considered simplifying your approach by sketching and drawing visually interesting “shapes”?

A tree (or any other subject) is really nothing more than a shape. A shape is defined by it’s outline. Thus, you may be able to simplify your work by simply looking at the outline of the tree (or any other subject) and sketching/drawing that outline.

Forget trying to draw each and every trunk and branch. Forget trying to render ever single leaf. Simply concentrate on the outline of all the major shapes and draw them.

Good luck on your sketching and drawing journey!

Sling paint,
                Virgil

My purpose in drawing has nothing to do with painting. I love pencil drawing. I want to learn how to draw in pencil with talent, I think pencil drawings are beautiful and artistic, I see other pencil drawings with such talent and I look at others drawings and I say to myself hey I want to d that…..I want to take it so further than a pencil drawing….I see others drawing with great talent, I’m not sure if I can achieve such talent but I want it thrive towards such a goal

monarch

There is a Classroom here on WC that might be just what you are looking for. It really helped me a lot, and the teacher Arnoud is great to clear up any confusion you may have as you work through the classes. You can find the Classroom in the Drawing and Sketching forum. Here is a link directly to the starting post for the classes:

https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=582502

C&C welcome and appreciated

tanjoreartist

You are drawn to draw and and do just that..:) Initially have a sketch book and learn to draw what you see, spending at least half an hour or so, and keep it as a routine. Dont bother about the results, and never compare your works with others, it is about only you and your wanting to draw. And there is nothing like this site, can say you have come to the right place, to learn, to explore and what not. There are many veterans, talented and willing to share their knowledge, and surprisingly, can come down to the beginner level to explain great things.Good luck !:wave:

[FONT=Century Gothic] When you are inspired.....dormant forces, capabilities and talents become alive-Patanjali.

Pthalo White

You are drawn to draw and and do just that..:) Initially have a sketch book and learn to draw what you see, spending at least half an hour or so, and keep it as a routine. Dont bother about the results, and never compare your works with others, it is about only you and your wanting to draw. And there is nothing like this site, can say you have come to the right place, to learn, to explore and what not. There are many veterans, talented and willing to share their knowledge, and surprisingly, can come down to the beginner level to explain great things.Good luck !:wave:

Excellent advice! :clap:

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.