Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting Painting from the Masters After Bierstadt

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Oil on canvas, 16″ x 20″, after Bierstadt

www.davidsmithart.com

yellow_oxide

Very nice job on this, and especially the wispy clouds.

Amian3d
            Harold Roth

Yesterday I was reading about how Bierstadt was criticized during his life for not using noticeable brushwork in his paintings. He was compared negatively to Cole and Church along those lines. You’ve been doing these (wonderful) master studies. Have you found that you vary the brushwork? Asking because I would like to try some studies like this myself, and brushwork was not something I had thought of too much.

I’ve read a few criticisms of Bierstadt’s work but never anything about his brushwork. From everything i’ve read (and seen), one of the traits of the Hudson River School technique is to NOT have noticeable brushwork/texture, in favor of a smooth or soft painting.

www.davidsmithart.com

Harold Roth

Yeah, that’s what I’ve read too. Then I came across this pretty interesting article, where it has some quotes from contemporary critics:

‘“Again, the sense of paint is too strong…. The large boulder in the centre is not stone-like in texture, but rather like a huge mass of gray paint” (New York Leader, April 18, 1863, quoted in Anderson and Ferber 1990, 193). Similarly, it was written in the American pre-Raphaelite journal New Path that Bierstadt’s The Rocky Mountains, Lander’s Peak would have been better “if the marks of the brush had, by dexterous handling, been made to stand for scrap and fissure, crag and cranny, but as it is, we have only too little geology and too much bristle”.’

In contrast to Cole: There are many wet-into-wet strokes that Cole has blended on the canvas or partly mixed on his palette so that they come off the brush as distinct swirls of color.

http://cool.conservation-us.org/jaic/articles/jaic38-01-006_3.html

Anyway, just thought it was interesting.

Here’s an interesting criticism of Bierstadt written by Mark Twain:

San Francisco Alta California, August 4, 1867
                    New York,
                    June 2d, 1867.

“THE DOMES OF THE YOSEMITE”

THAT is the name of Bierstadt’s last picture. The art critics here abused it without stint when its exhibition began, a month ago. They ridiculed it so mercilessly that I thought it surely could not be worth going to see, and so I staid away. I went to-day, however, and I think it is very well worth going to see. It is very beautiful – considerably more beautiful than the original.

You stand twelve hundred feet above the valley, and look up it toward the east, with the North Dome on the left and the South Dome on the right. The rugged mountain range beyond the latter sweeps round to the right and shuts up the valley, and, springing up among the clouds in the distance, you see one or two great peaks clad in robes of snow. Well, the bird’s-eye view of the level valley, with its clusters of diminished trees and its little winding river, is very natural, and familiar, and pleasant to look upon. The pine trees growing out of clefts in a bold rock wall, in the right foreground, are very proper trees, and the grove of large ones, in the left foreground, and close at hand, are a true copy of Nature, and so are the various granite boulders in the vicinity.

Now, to sum up the picture’s merits, those snow-peaks are correct – they look natural; the valley is correct and natural; the pine trees clinging to the bluff on the right, and the grove on the left, and the boulders, are all like nature; we will assume that the domes and things are drawn accurately. One sees these things in all sorts of places throughout California, and under all sorts of circumstances, and gets so familiar with them that he knows them in a moment when he sees them in a picture. I knew them in Bierstadt’s picture, and checked them off one by one, and said “These things are correct – they all look just as they ought to look, and they all belong to California. ” But when I got around to the atmosphere, I was obliged to say “This man has imported this atmosphere; this man has surely imported this atmosphere from some foreign country, because nothing like it was ever seen in California.” I may be mistaken, for all men are liable to err, but I honestly think I am right. The atmospheric effects in that picture are startling, are full of variety, and are charming. It is more the atmosphere of Kingdom-Come than of California.

The time is early morning; the eastern heavens are filled with shredded clouds, and these afford the excuse for the dreamy lights and shadows that play about the leftward precipices and the great dome – a rich blending of softest purple, and gray, and blue, and brown and white, instead of the bald, glaring expanse of rocks and earth splotched with cloud-shadows like unpoetical ink-blots which one ought to see in a Californian mountain picture when correctly painted. Some of Mr. Bierstadt’s mountains swim in a lustrous, pearly mist, which is so enchantingly beautiful that I am sorry the Creator hadn’t made it instead of him, so that it would always remain there. In the morning, the outlines of mountains in California, even though they be leagues away, are painfully bold and sharp, because the atmosphere is so pure and clear – but the outlines of Mr. Bierstadt’s mountains are soft and rounded and velvety, which is a great improvement on nature.

As a picture, this work must please, but as a portrait I do not think it will answer. Portraits should be accurate. We do not want feeling and intelligence smuggled into the pictured face of an idiot, and we do not want this glorified atmosphere smuggled into a portrait of the Yosemite, where it surely does not belong. I may be wrong, but still I believe that this atmosphere of Mr. Bierstadt’s is altogether too gorgeous.

www.davidsmithart.com

Harold Roth

This is funny, but I also like that he points out that the atmosphere is different in CA–crisp, so atmospheric perspective is off. I’ve been there a few times and didn’t notice that, but I have read about it, and maybe it depends on where (and when) in CA a person is.

Some of Bierstadt’s skies do seem exaggerated, but I love them. His cumulus clouds are some of the best, I think. What I find amazing is how prolific he was, dude must’ve painted thousands of pictures. Every time I google Bierstadt paintings I find several that I have never seen.

www.davidsmithart.com

Harold Roth

I love his clouds too, especially the dark ones, as in Storm in the Mountains.

Ya, that’s a great sky. If you’ve never seen it, check out Bierstadt’s Puget Sound sky, one of my favorites: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Albert_Bierstadt_-_Puget_Sound_on_the_Pacific_Coast_(1870).jpg

Three other masters whose skies I love are Claude Vernet, Claude Lorrain and Hubert Robert. What I would give to get painting lessons from one of them. :)

www.davidsmithart.com

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.