Home Forums The Art Business Center General Art Business Are canvas boards good enough for selling art online?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Thinky

Are canvas boards good enough for selling online?

I’m trying to keep art affordable for customers, while still being professional.

I’d rather not sell stretched canvases because they cost more to ship, and could get dented.

Masonite and Gessobords are OK, but I prefer the canvas texture.[/SIZE]

Davkin

Like anything there are differences in quality between brands. Use a good quality canvas board and it’s as good as any substrate, usually they use MDF or hardboard (Masonite) as the “board” part of the equation.

David

David

Thinky

Thank you David, how about the inexpensive kinds of canvas boards? I see oil paintings selling for $50 or less :confused::clear: on etsy/ ebay, so I wonder how to compete.

Davkin

If it doesn’t claim to be archival then it is suspect. My guess though is a lot of artists are selling paintings made on substandard substrates. It’s not the type of substrate, it’s the quality of the processes and materials used to make it that determine whether it’s archival or not.

David

David

helen_c

You could always sell unstretched canvases – I have done this after painting them taped to a board (that sounds like I was taped to a board but I meant the canvases!) They are easy to post and people can either frame them like watercolours with a mount/mat or have them stretched and then framed without glass.

I couldn’t find any archival canvas boards here in the UK and have seen paintings on boards which don’t claim to be acid-free go yellow quite quickly.

All important things in art have always originated from the deepest feeling about the mystery of Being.

website/painting blog: www.helencolledge.co.uk

Robin

Customers understand they have to pay for shipping online.

I’ve shipped quite a few stretched canvas pieces and haven’t had an issue with denting.

I wonder how heavy the good quality art boards are, you might be paying more to ship them. I would still cradle them in some fashion so there is no possibility of friction during transit.

Robin

yarddawg

A friend of mine who does plein air work swears by these:

Blick Archival Canvas Panels[/URL]

They aren’t super cheap but they’re less bulky than stretched canvas and archival. Way back when I first started experimenting with acrylic I painted a stack of the cheap canvas panels. Fortunately I didn’t try to sell any of them. They ate themselves, it wasn’t overnight but within 10 years they were all in a dumpster.

Greg Long

Thank you David, how about the inexpensive kinds of canvas boards? I see oil paintings selling for $50 or less :confused::clear: on etsy/ ebay, so I wonder how to compete.

Don’t bother. Choose your price point and stick with it, those spending under $50 are not neccesarily your customers.:thumbsup:

I’d either go with what yarddawg suggested, or stretch the canvas while you work on it, then pull it off to ship it rather than send the customer a painting on a cheap canvas board. But that’s just my own opinion. It’s just unprofessional to use those for selling. Perhaps if you could get an archival one and have it framed, that would be okay.

mariposa-art

I’ve used the Blick archival boards, and they’re nice!

Check out Soucetek (http://canvaspanels.com) and RayMar (http://raymarart.com) for archival, high quality “snob” canvas boards. ;) Sourcetek also sells the supplies needed to make your own panels (the boards, glue, and canvas or linen).

I have occasionally sold paintings with “suspect” substrate, and as long as I list the brand name, I don’t feel bad. As long as the collector knows the score, it’s okay. Most of my paintings are either panels with gesso on them (which are archival) or one of the “better” brands.

Thinky

Thank you David, Helen, Greg, Artyczar, Robin, Yarddawg and Mariposa!

Artyczar, I really appreciate your professional advice. Do you mean it is better to sell a sheet of flexible canvas without a stiff support?

Mariposa, Thank you for your recommendations! I may follow your advice to make sure the collector knows. It feels scary:crying: to invest without knowing whether my paintings will sell.

Robin, Thank you. How do you make sure your stretched canvas arrives without dents? Do you buy shipping boxes?

Greg
                                            , Thank you! Do people buy oil paintings online for $300-500? What if no one buys, then I would feel guilty for using expensive panels.

Yarddawg
                                            and Helen, Thank you for your recommendations!

Thinky

I am also wondering why canvas board is not OK, while paintings on watercolor paper, pastel paper, :confused: illustration board, etc. are considered professional enough to sell?

mariposa-art

Canvas panels are fine. They just have to be “archival.” (Usually they’ll claim this in the ad or description for the panels.) Canvas boards (the kind you find in chain craft stores and so forth) are sometimes just canvas glued to cardboard, which will yellow or fall apart in time. (Though I’ve never seen any of my old paintings do that—I think it depends on the brand!)

However, there are a lot of cheaper “canvas boards” (made by big art stores like Blick, Utrecht, Cheap Joes) which say they’re made of “acid free” materials. Not sure what that means, I wouldn’t tout them as archival, but it does sound like they wouldn’t yellow quite as quickly. I’m going to guess that many of them would last 50-70 years (just a guess) or maybe more. Though I would never put on anything worth something on one of these types of boards; would never do a commission on one of these boards. (If I did a study on one of them and then sold it for cheap, explaining that it was on a “generic” or “student” board, I wouldn’t think that was bad.)

Fredrix sells canvas panels which are considered “archival.” I get them from Jerry’s Artarama when there’s a big sale. These are VERY nice panels. Same with the aforementioned Sourcetek and RayMar. These are used by plein air artists who go paint on location and need thin, portable, durable surfaces. As far as I’m concerned I’m going to paint on panels from now on, with the exception of something REALLY huge, where a panel might get too heavy.

Anyway, canvas panels (aka archival) are very mainstreamed, and in fact I sometimes wonder why more artists aren’t using them. They are so much easier to ship, easier to store, and have advantages that stretched canvas does not.

Hi again Thinky,

I just mean that you can give your customer the option of re-stretching the canvas on some good supports later, whereas on a cheap canvas board, it is glued and they wouldn’t have that option. But like I said, if you can find a high quality canvas board – maybe an archival one – maybe that would do.

As far as paintings on watercolor paper, etc, those are nice papers (when you can get them). Some are very high quality and very archival. I personally use some of the most expensive paper you can buy.

I also don’t usually use illustration board, but if I did, I wouldn’t use oil paint on it.

I think canvas board can be tricky for oil paint when it is glued on top of that cheap cardboard is all. I think that’s the main concern.

Hope that helps. :)

Robin

Yes, I buy shipping boxes.

Robin

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.