WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Watercolor > The Learning Zone
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-31-2012, 12:31 PM
WC! Guide
Cincinnati, Ohio

Hails from United States
Re: Paint vertically or not?

Occasionally, I paint on a drafting table with a slight slant. Most of the time I paint on gatorboard sitting on my lap. I do utilize the more vertical angle when I'm trying to let the leading edge of a large wash stay at the edge. It makes for a much more even wash tone.

Tom

...got me a date with Botticelli's niece ...
she promised she'd be there with me when I paint my masterpiece...Dylan
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-31-2012, 01:50 PM
Immortalized
Boerne, TX USA

Hails from United States

P, if you already have a camera tripod that is reasonably strong enough to carry the weight of a backing board and watercolor paper, here's one source for an adapter to fit the tripod. There's numerous other sources of similar products:

http://www.sun-eden.com/index.cfm?fu...& ParentCat=3

Here's what I use for plein air and travel painting, attached to a medium-duty camera tripod:

http://www.kosvanec.com/twisterpage.html

Sling paint!
Virgil
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-31-2012, 04:15 PM
Veteran Member
Nr Bath, United Kingdom

Hails from United Kingdom

I originally painted at an angle then changed to painting more or less vertically - partly through a misunderstanding. Most workshop artists who do demos paint more or less vertically so that the watching crew can see what is going on. I've been to one or two demos where the artists, well known in some cases, painted flat and no one had a clue, or could see, what they were doing.

If you paint vertically you do get a different effect for obvious reasons - drips and whatever! Some like the effect others don't and certainly it's tricky if you are after realism.

Charles Reid paints vertically at his demos but told me, and the rest of the class, that his preferred angle was 30 - 45degrees. As a result Ward has started tilting the board once more. You never stop learning in this painting game or making mistakes. Speaking personally that is .

Peter

"The Watercolour Log"
www.watercolourfanatic.blogspot.com/
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-31-2012, 04:29 PM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from United States

I've done both--at a slight angle (not totally vertical) and flat (most of the time); heck, right now, I sometimes don't even tape my paper to a board. I do like Nicholas Simmons does--leave it loose so it can be tilted easily for blending color.

To each his own...

Michele

"Insanity--Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results"...Albert Einstein
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-31-2012, 10:48 PM
Enthusiast
Behind the Orange Curtain

Hails from United States

Now remember, there's more than one way to sling a tripod! This is optimized for astronomy, but I'm sure it would not be hard to adapt the crutches tripod for painting purposes. My Dad made me one of these for my small telescope, and it is hands down the sturdiest tripod I have ever had (Mine looks just like that one, minus the handy tray down below.) Light, strong, and cheap, who can beat that? It's even somewhat height-adjustable, to the extent that the crutches are adjustable.

For the record, I paint flat in the studio, but hold a sketchbook rather upright in the hand when plein-aire sketching. Never even thought about that until reading this thread.

Somebody remind me... are we painting with this stuff, or negotiating with it?
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-02-2012, 01:52 PM
Lord of the Arts

i really think do what you feel like- you may find yourself painting it flat and then finding yourself wanting to prop the picture up more so you can see it- or you may find that your work becomes more watery and bigger and you may want to see it dribble down a bit more. i think your ideas and intent should come first- and then whether you want to paint flat or vertical will come to you out of that.
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2012, 06:12 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Northern Galilee Hills, Israel

Standing at a vertical easel is very freeing

I wet my paper and control the wet of my brush and I do not get runs ( mostly )
I have full control of my brush for easy gesture marks as my shoulder is free
Even the small marks are easier as I can see what I am doing

Last edited by Neeman : 02-03-2012 at 06:24 AM.
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-13-2012, 05:40 AM

Technically speaking, on a half sheet of watercolor paper 15" X 22" the angle of the board should be about 3 degrees which is great for washes. Use a roll of masking tape to lift the board slightly above the table. This question is the one I've always wondered about too when I first started. I've been a custom of using a angle of 15 degrees for painting now. It's just step enough to make the water move on the paper, but no so steep to make long vertical runs, I hope this helps.

-writes4cmt
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-20-2012, 11:31 PM
Enthusiast
Kansas

Hails from United States

I usually watercolor outdoors with an easel at a nearly vertical angle as it feels "right" to me but in the studio I use less of an angle and just pick up the support when I need a steeper angle. Painters working with a bead often have steeply angled paper. I've seen instructors who can't or won't use a mirror paint vertically so that their students could see what they are doing.
The angle depends on what you are doing and how you want to work.
Have fun, Dave
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-21-2012, 02:19 PM
Portland OR

Hails from United States

I almost never paint totally flat - from the angle of my drawing table to almost fully vertically on an easel. I guess this is mostly because my early training in oils was always done on a vertical easel. For me, the perspective advantage to keeping the paper vertical outweighs having to be a bit more careful to control the amount of water on the paper when I don't want drips - I usually paint with a kleenex or paper towel at the ready.

"Creativity occurs in action." Jasper Johns
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-22-2012, 09:59 AM

Depends on the style you're looking for. I paint vertically to let the water drip on to the page or allow the water to create a gradient. It's a little messy though. ^^;
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-22-2012, 01:01 PM
Lord of the Arts
Potsdam, NY

Hails from United States

I use both and any angle in between. My advice would be to find the position and angle that works best for you and use that. If that turns out to be thumbtacked to the ceiling be sure and send us pictures and let us know how you deal with drips.

One thing I have found is that the larger the piece I am working on the more up right I like to have it.

This is our ART: useless, boring, impotent, elitist, and very, very beautiful.
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-25-2012, 12:58 PM
Veteran Member
U.S.A. East Coast

I've been taping my watercolor paper to the wall fullsheets, elephant sheets and even 4 full sheets overlapping each other, I say before going out and buying and easel just try a small sheet of watercolor paper and tape it to the wall and try that first, it will give you some ideas of what you personally like about painting this way and you will find out if you physically like painting this way.

The first couple of paintings I did this way I found that I like standing when I paint & for me it was very freeing.