WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Watercolor > Watercolor Studio
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-28-2007, 07:40 PM
Hertfordshire England

Hails from England
Rose need help

Hi everyone, not sure what to do with this do you think i should keep stalk above the rose ?
Any input gratefully received.
Thanks
Sue
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-28-2007, 09:21 PM
Oakwood, Ohio, near Dayton.

Hails from United States
Re: Rose need help

Hi Sue,
I like the bud directly above the rose, but I'm not sure about the leaf and then the stalk going off the top of the picture because it effectly cuts the picture in half vertically from top to bottom.

Perhaps you could have a band of blue across the top of the painting instead of green going all the way to the top. There's a lot of green in the painting and there will be even more when you get the bottom part done.

I like the way you've painted the rose itself very much. Lovely shapes on the petals.

Sylvia
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-29-2007, 12:53 AM
Veteran Member
Australia

Hails from Australia

Hi Sue,

as you know, it is very difficult to chance your composition convincingly in wc like this & i would be inclined to stick with what you have at this point. The only thing worse than wishing you had done a composition differently is making a big mess by trying to take it out or change it.

Chances are youll only end up with it looking like a mistake (as happens with wc) so just go with it. I would suggest instead that you try to change the stems appearence by knocking the tone of it down to something similar to the bg. This way it doesnt seem like you tried to change it, yet it disappears into the surroundings & is less offensive.

Having said that - i personally like that it comes out the top, it is just a little too centered as Sylvia said. Of course the remedy for this can be to simple crop it a little. The most important thing is to learn from this one so that your next is improved. Good luck
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-29-2007, 02:30 AM
Veteran Member
Charming South

Hails from United States

Beautiful rose. Is the stem line curve off above and below the top leaves? I would think I should see it below the top leaves unless the curve is changed. My suggestion is to have the stem softer than the leaves/secondary to the leaves so it doesn't stand out.

If that's a bud and a leaf instead of two leaves, then paint over the stalk.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-29-2007, 02:49 AM
A WC! Legend
New Canaan Connecticut

Hails from United States

You are doing Fine . Keep going and then make corrections as you see fit with washes ,at the finale .
June

http://blogmomcom.blogspot.com/
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-29-2007, 10:32 AM
A Local Legend

Yeah, what PB said. You could try a save by having that stem and leaf almost the same value as it's b/g. Yeah, what June said, important to adjust your thinking and re-evaluate, but there is so much dark values it would be difficult to change at this point.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-29-2007, 02:30 PM
Hertfordshire England

Hails from England

Thanks everyone ,
your help and advice is greatly received, i have changed the composition a bit please let me know what you think.
Thanks
Sue
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-29-2007, 03:25 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

That's a great rose Susie!! I'm not sure about the comp with the leaves above it, maybe if they were washed back or subdued (?). My bigger concern would be the sameness of the green, it appears to mostly be different values of the same color or two...I'd prefer other tones worked in there....FWIW. Nick
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-29-2007, 03:39 PM
Veteran Member
Charming South

Hails from United States

Looking good! Some of the background greens seem to match the rose leaves, but I don't know if that is because of the scan or if it's something you will take care of later. The leaves above the rose don't bother me since I think they will blend into the total composition once the bottom section is completed.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-29-2007, 03:40 PM

The rose is beautifully done. I would crop the painting so that the rose is not directly centered and that only part of the upper leaf shows. Agree with Nick that the greens need to be changed. The leaves and the background greens seem almost the same.

Dot
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-29-2007, 04:20 PM
Hertfordshire England

Hails from England

Thanks everyone , could you explain more about the greens please i have only been painting for just over a year so still need so much help, i thought i had varied the greens any help greatly received.
Thanks
Sue
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-29-2007, 06:18 PM
Veteran Member
Charming South

Hails from United States

Doesn't red tone down green? Would a wash of a toned-down green over the background do the trick, or maybe a blue/grey wash on the background? Do a test on separate paper, and someone with more knowledge will be along soon.

Last edited by rgb : 09-29-2007 at 06:20 PM.