Home Forums Explore Media Sculpture Can I reuse clay ?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    rednova

Hi:
        A long time ago I posted here i was going to start sculpting.
        I never did.
        But now I acquired a few dvd’s from stan winston school, which
        teach how to sculpt figures with clay. I just ordered from amazon
        the companion sculpting kit tools to accompany the dvd’s.
        This time I am really going to start sculpting.
        I have a question: If I use clay to model a figure, is it
        possible to reuse the clay ? to put it back into a lump and use
        it again for a different figure ?
        Can I do this ?
        Please help, thank you !

rednova

There should be no problem as long as you keep it damp and supple. Make sure you wrap it well and it’ll be okay. You might have to discard hard or dried bits here or there but since it’s for practice it should be okay.

That sound fun, enjoy yourself. :)

The Purple Dog Painting Blog
        Find me on Instagram
        Find me on Facebook

ArtsyLynda

Put your hard bits in a plastic bag with water, squeeze the air out of it and close it tightly. Knead the bag every so often as days go by. At some point, you may need too add water. After a while, that dried clay should be useable again.

rednova

I appreciate your answers. I understand how to reuse the clay.
                I think I rather buy new clay and never try to reuse it, I prefer
                to start fresh with each figure.
                Thank you !!!

ArtsyLynda

I took a workshop with Phillipe Farault who uses water based clay. He had us put each finished work in a bin that would be mixed with water to make it usable again. So it must be a good way to work, but I can see not wanting to go to the trouble. I use plastilene myself. I like that it never hardens or dries out, so I can and do work on some pieces for years (my own pieces that get interrupted by commissions and trophies).

rednova

@artsylynda
                        Thank you for your comment. I just wanna learn sculpting for fun,
                        I do not need to use clay. I think plastilene sounds great. I can then
                        reuse it without wetting the clay. thank you for your tip !!!

ArtsyLynda

You’re welcome! Just be sure the plastilene you buy is sulfur free in case you make something you’d like to cast. Sulfur-bearing clay does not play nicely with mold material.

rednova

I have good news @ArtsyLynda
                                I just got in the mail the sculpting kit/tools from Stan Winston
                                school of character arts, is the companion toolset to follow
                                along a dvd class on sculpting a character maquette/figures.
                                Guess what ? the tools came with 3 boxes of NSP medium nondrying
                                modeling clay – sulfur free plasteline (2 lbs a box) by Chavant.
                                I am so happy, it looks like the tools came with the best possible clay !
                                I am very happy, look forward to start sculpting soon.
                                Thank you for your excelent tips.

ArtsyLynda

Good for you! Have gun with it!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.