Home Forums Explore Media Sculpture Snatch

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    freakstyle

This thing is finally finished and took a lot longer than I will ever admit ;). It’s definitely the last time I’ve sculpted octopus arms, that’s for sure!

I filmed it on some sort of rotating platform, since this thing is very three-dimensional and I had no idea how to take a picture that would encapsulate everything:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4DrQpjIN6M

ArtsyLynda

WOW! That looks amazing! How big is it? Well done!

freakstyle

Thank you! The piece is 45cm wide, by 40 cm high. To give you an idea: The woman’s face is about the size of my thumb’s distal phalanx.

The reason for this sizing is pretty practical. When cut to pieces (all the octopus arms were attached after the casting), the pieces were just large enough to fit in my pressure pot. I’d like to own a bigger one, but… expensive pots are expensive.

ArtsyLynda

What medium is it cast in that required a pressure pot? And thanks for the detailed explanation!

freakstyle

It’s a mixture of marble dust and resin. I don’t really want to recreate the marble look per se, but I like how heavy and cold to the touch it feels. Plus, the dust is slightly sparkly.

At first, I tried to find a bronze caster, but in my country there aren’t any casters equipped to deal with this amount of detail.
                        Most of the time, the molds they made were not precise enough or had flaws in them that would translate into the final cast. If the mold WAS decent, the casting showed loads of shrinking damage, or bubbles that destroyed the detail.

After a year of trying, I finally gave up and did the casting myself (although not in bronze, because I have no idea how to do that).

selectedgrub

Beautiful.

ArtsyLynda

Well, comngratulations onfiguring out how to cast such a complex piece! I imagine you’ve learned a lot on this project. And I love cold-cast marble. It does have that sparkle. Great choice!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.