Home Forums Explore Media Sculpture Seeking advice: Large Outdoor Fiberglass Sculpture

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    ArtStudent

Hi Wet Canvas Crew,
        I’ve written before and gotten good advice, so I’m back for more.

I recently applied to an outdoor sculpture festival, and my submission of a 7′ toy Giraffe was accepted. I have a 3D model and am able to cut it out of foam on a CNC mill, but am looking for suggestions on strategy for finishing and one piece vs molding:

To lay up enough fiberglass on the surface of my foam model to make it self standing and strong (if someone climbs up on it I don’t want it to break), I fear loosing detail in my sculpt.

If I make molds of the outside, and do the ‘gel coat / layup’ into the molds, I will keep perfect detail but double my material investment (ie. lots of silicone, mother molds etc.

Any strategies on:

– just how many layers of fiberglass I will need for strength

– single part coating vs molding layup

– alternate materials or approaches etc

Would all be greatly appreciated..

~As

jonc50

I believe there may be a problem with the gel coat which can ‘melt’ the foam to some degree…however once its covered you shouldn’t have the problem if it seals the outer coat of glass.
            The fiberglass will also be a variety of thickness choices from very light to quite heavy. I would say that the single part coating is going to be the easiest to get the outside covered without the hassle of any other method.
            Post a progress report with your camera to see your work!

ArtsyLynda

I wish I could help you, but I have no idea about using these materials! I wish you all kinds of luck with it, and I hope you’ll share progress photos with us! Good luck!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.