Home Forums Explore Media Sculpture Quackers

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    jonc50

This is a pair of wood ducks that weren’t made from wood! They were made from Styrofoam as a base and then overlaid with body filler and sculpted when the body filler was set using small grinding discs on a grinder. The base is wood. ( a pine board ). There are no feet! They amazingly held on ok without any feet!! :crossfingers: It was a “leaving home” gift to my parents when we (my wife and 6 month old first child) moved 2,000 miles away to live.:clap: This is from 45 years ago!

This is also a cross post from “Mixed Media”

A gift from the heart is always so special. I bet your parents loved this and reminded them of your love when you moved so far away to start out in life. I think it is beautiful. Is this made into a lamp? Did you also carve the wood branch that the ducks are sitting on? Great that you got out of making the feet, lol. Sometimes ducks feet don’t show anyway. :)

[FONT=Arial Narrow]~Sculpturedolls
        [FONT=Arial Narrow][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Keep your heart free from hate, your mind from worry, live simply, expect little, give much, fill your life with love,scatter sunshine, forget self, think of others. -Norman Vincent Peale

[FONT=Georgia]My website My Blog Join me on Facebook

jonc50

A gift from the heart is always so special. I bet your parents loved this and reminded them of your love when you moved so far away to start out in life. I think it is beautiful. Is this made into a lamp? Did you also carve the wood branch that the ducks are sitting on? Great that you got out of making the feet, lol. Sometimes ducks feet don’t show anyway. :)

Yes, everything was made from a Styrofoam base (which includes the “wood branch”) then it was built up with body filler (automotive) with the wiring for the lamp under the Styrofoam…the base was carved from regular pine lumber that I made a carved border around the outer circumference. The real carving problem was grinding the body into shape. I think that it took so long to make that the feet couldn’t make the deadline. :o

ArtsyLynda

Beautiful work! Working with styrofoam can be a lot of fun! I’d like to do more of it, but haven’t had the chance yet. Thanks for sharing!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.