Home Forums The Learning Center Color Theory and Mixing creating teal and turquoise

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    sashntash

I’m stumped as to how one would mix teal or turquoise……

obviously both would have a blue base

and the teal would have some green in it…..

but other than that, I’m clueless.

I’m going to go play now, but thought I’d ask the question and get some guidance..

I am using Golden acrylics… both heavy body and fluid and I have a wide range of colors to try out, so all suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

I have a small bottle of cobalt teal in the fluid acrylics —- which I love, but I’m curious as to how I could mix that or something similar if I didn’t have a bottle available…

Susan
        in beautiful North Carolina
        Retired and loving every minute of it !!!
        Time to play......

Patrick1

It depends on which teal and/or turquoise you have in mind…they can vary in terms of hue, value, and saturation. But generally, turquoise or teal is mixed by some blue or cyan + some green or maybe yellow, and lightened with if needed. Is any of these what you have in mind?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Shades_of_cyan

Use Her Name

The problem with saying “blue” is that there is no such thing as a pure “blue” and the same goes for other colors.

pthalo blue and lemon yellow seems to make a teal, Cerulean blue and veridian seem to make a greenish turquoise.

No longer a member of WC. Bye.

sashntash

It depends on which teal and/or turquoise you have in mind…they can vary in terms of hue, value, and saturation. But generally, turquoise or teal is mixed by some blue or cyan + some green or maybe yellow, and lightened with if needed. Is any of these what you have in mind?

[URL=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Shades_of_cyan]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Shades_of_cyan[/URL]

Yes Patrick. The teal and turquoise on that page are roughly what I had in mind.

I’m not seeking a “particular” color just wondering how one would start to mix a “run-of-the-mill” teal or turquoise…..

Susan
                    Time to play......

sashntash

The problem with saying “blue” is that there is no such thing as a pure “blue” and the same goes for other colors.

pthalo blue and lemon yellow seems to make a teal, Cerulean blue and veridian seem to make a greenish turquoise.

Thank you….. that’s exactly what I needed !!!!

I’ll try those as a starting point.

I love to play around with mixing colors but for some reason I was totally stumped on where to start for teal and turquoise (other than a “blue” would be involved!!)

I hit a mental brick wall….. Usually I have an idea where to start and then just play from there.

Thanks for your help !!!

Susan

Susan
                        Time to play......

Use Her Name

Thank you….. that’s exactly what I needed !!!!

I’ll try those as a starting point.

I love to play around with mixing colors but for some reason I was totally stumped on where to start for teal and turquoise (other than a “blue” would be involved!!)

I hit a mental brick wall….. Usually I have an idea where to start and then just play from there.

Thanks for your help !!!

Susan

I forgot to say, add some white as well (maybe start at 45%). Turquoise seems to be a mid tone “pastel” type color.

No longer a member of WC. Bye.

Is any of these what you have in mind?

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Shades_of_cyan[/url]

Well, those sure aren’t all cyan are they? :lol:

If it helps you’re not alone, a lot of us face this kind of thing every now and then when we’re learning; I had a similar problem trying to get the right colour for turquoise jewellery many years back.

This is one of the colour areas where an intermediate hue between blue and green isn’t normally thought of, when in fact cyan is distinct between the two (in spectrums and rainbows too) and either side of it fall a number of colours like turquoise, teal, aquamarine that aren’t that well defined by language. Even with something like the stone turquoise its colour varies across quite a wide range of hues, some being much more blue than others,

Cobalt Teal is fairly brilliant so mixtures that get really close are not as easy as with some other things (like Cerulean Blue for example, which is fairly dull) but tints of Phthalo Blue GS should be brilliant enough as a starting point. Then just add in a touch of yellow until the hue is right.

Another method for reaching a similar range of colours is to mix Titanium White, Phthalo Green BS and French Ultramarine; in this case you start with a blue much more toward violet and pull it back with the green. You could try a comparison mix using the same blue and with yellow instead of the green as an experiment – you can get the same hue exactly, but the colour will be noticeably duller.

If you mix a colour like this and you get a bright result and want to dull it down a bit you can mix in some grey, or a touch of a mixing complement – a reddish earth or a red-orange or orange-red should work.

Einion

Do you know if your colour is off in hue, value, chroma... or all three?

Colour Theory & Mixing forum WetCanvas Glossary Search Tips Advanced Search Acrylics forum Acrylics - Information Kiosk

sashntash

Thanks to everyone !!!

I did some experimenting and did find – thank you – that the Phthalos were a great starting point.

I couldn’t tell you at the moment all the mixtures I tried, but with the Phthalo Blues and Greens as starting points and a little of this and a little of that :D , I ended up with some great turquoise/teal kinds of hues !!!!

thanks again….

Susan
                                Time to play......

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                              • The topic ‘creating teal and turquoise’ is closed to new replies.