Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting The Technical Forum Where is the ‘smell of oils’ that I’ve read about?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    thevaliantx

I’ve been painting with little tubes of Rembrandt, Gamblin, Winton and Blick, and I’m really smelling anything out of the ordinary. And I’ve got a STRONG nose. I can smell cat pee from the next room. Is the smell that people associate with oils really just the turpentine that many use?

WFMartin

I’ve been painting with little tubes of Rembrandt, Gamblin, Winton and Blick, and I’m really smelling anything out of the ordinary. And I’ve got a STRONG nose. I can smell cat pee from the next room. Is the smell that people associate with oils really just the turpentine that many use?

No, it’s not the Turpentine. It is the rancidity of the Linseed, or Walnut Oil that imparts the “smell” associated with “oil paint”. To me, and many others, I believe, that smell is intoxicatingly wonderful, and quite honestly, many of the mixtures of Linseed Oil, or Stand Oil (a more viscous form of Linseed Oil) with other solvents, and resins [when combined into a medium], smell good enough to eat!:thumbsup:

When I buy an oil-primed, Linen RayMar panel, and open the package, it smells like “pure ART”!:lol:

Some of the oil paint companies seem so paranoid regarding “toxicity”, that they have bent over backwards to eliminate the traditional “smell” of oil paint by substituting other oils for the traditional, Linseed Oil, and the result is that the fragrance of the more traditional oil paint has been eliminated. Oils such as Safflower, Sunflower, and Poppyseed Oils don’t exhibit the same, pleasant smell as Linseed, or Walnut Oil. But, to be clear……it is the rancidity of those oils that impart the actual “smell” that is associated with Oil Painting.

wfmartin. My Blog "Creative Realism"...
            https://williamfmartin.blogspot.com

thevaliantx

Maybe a stupid question, Bill, but I *love* smelling old things, cigarette and cigar smoke, tar, the smell of turpentine. How can I bring the smell of art into the studio? For me, it’s a nostalgic sort of thing. I often buy food for the memories I have associated with it, and not necessarily the taste itself. September is one of my favorite months of the year when stores bring out their autumn-themed debbie cakes. Oh, and I LOVE the smell of linseed oil.

Alan P. in OC

I love the ‘smell of art’ too, when I first started painting I remember opening up my new tubes of Michael Harding paints, and putting them up to my nose and getting a good sniff:). It doesn’t permeate the house, unfortunately, but I love the smell of everything art related in my repertoire (everything but dammar, which I used once and will never use again).

Love linseed, oil of spike lavender, and my oil paints:). I even like my Winsor Newton turpentine smell:).

WFMartin

Maybe a stupid question, Bill, but I *love* smelling old things, cigarette and cigar smoke, tar, the smell of turpentine. How can I bring the smell of art into the studio? For me, it’s a nostalgic sort of thing. I often buy food for the memories I have associated with it, and not necessarily the taste itself. September is one of my favorite months of the year when stores bring out their autumn-themed debbie cakes. Oh, and I LOVE the smell of linseed oil.

Well, if you were to use Oil of Spike Lavender, and Linseed Oil, or Stand Oil, you will experience the absolute ultimate in “Oil-Paint-smelling-ingredients” that you will ever experience. There is a suggestion by some artists who are experienced in the more wonderful, “exotic” medium ingredients, that Oil of Spike actually inspires a more “creative attitude” when used in the studio, by its mere presence on the palette, and permeating the air as you work with it.

I tend to agree with that assessment, actually. I feel that I’ve accomplished much better, more creative work since I’ve been using the “home-made” medium that I’ve been using for several years, now. It includes Linseed Oil, Walnut Oil, and Oil of Spike. And, now that I have a solid source for the best, most economical, Oil of Spike I’ve ever used, and Water-washed Linseed, and Water-washed Walnut Oils, I am a happy camper in my oil painting!

It’s been working for me!:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

JCannon

I think that Maroger medium is the most wonderfully “arty” smell imaginable. Buy some. Put a dab on your palette. Let it inspire you. You don’t have to use it…

thevaliantx

I was born a decade or so late …

One exotic smell taste test that I do not recommend anyone try is the one I tried when I was 7 or 8 years old. I was at a daycare center and found a little glass bottle of something over by a brick wall. The curious me decided to open up the container and drink what was in the container. It was a bottle of perfume. :eek:

WFMartin

I was born a decade or so late …

One exotic smell taste test that I do not recommend anyone try is the one I tried when I was 7 or 8 years old. I was at a daycare center and found a little glass bottle of something over by a brick wall. The curious me decided to open up the container and drink what was in the container. It was a bottle of perfume. :eek:

Eeeewww. Gack!:eek:

thevaliantx

Probably not as bad as eating a spoonful of Elmer’s Glue (it nauseates me to even think of that taste) on a dare. I ate a large spoon of baking powder one time on a challenge from my niece.

savras

I love smell of linseed oil and poppyseed oil too. BTW grocery linseed oil does not have this lovely smell. Or at least brand I tried.

On the other hand I hate smell of liquin and anything petrol-related

Delofasht

Vegetable oils tend to have nice scents in general, petroleum oils not so much.

In fact, essential oils (Oil of Spike Lavender, Clove Oil, and a few others) are all generally used by aroma therapists. They provide wonderful relaxing scents that help relieve stress and can in turn boost confidence. I keep a cup of coffee beans in a jar with a little candle holder in it that I light the candle of and the beans get all hot and the smell coming out is wonderful relaxing coffeeshop smells.

My studio/office has a slightly different smell than the rest of the apartment. In fact, it’s the lack of other smells from around the house that I most identify with painting, the simple slightly floral, nutty, and smokey notes of all the ingredients I use in my area.

- Delo Delofasht
                                                thevaliantx

This is all very interesting to me. I’m on pain medication to help deal with throat ulcers, and a pleasant side effect (that I do not talk with the doctor about) is that it very much relaxes me and enhances my desire to want to paint. I often have coffee in the studio, and sometimes I will eat a big pinch of the grains straight from the can (just read that they’re supposedly good for you to eat).

highfield

I love smell of linseed oil and poppyseed oil too. BTW grocery linseed oil does not have this lovely smell. Or at least brand I tried.

It is the rancidity of the Linseed, or Walnut Oil that imparts the “smell” associated with “oil paint”.

I can smell a similar smell with grocery linseed oil. Oh wait, I hope I’m not getting rancid oil…

I wonder if you can get some idea of how dry a painting is my smelling it.

WFMartin

I can smell a similar smell with grocery linseed oil. Oh wait, I hope I’m not getting rancid oil…

I wonder if you can get some idea of how dry a painting is my smelling it.

I think you actually CAN, to some extent!

One reason not to use food store oils as painting oils is that they have often been laced with ingredients (and other oils) to PREVENT them from “going rancid”. It is the ability of an oil to “go rancid” that makes it suitable for paint drying.

Delofasht

I think you actually CAN, to some extent!

One reason not to use food store oils as painting oils is that they have often been laced with ingredients (and other oils) to PREVENT them from “going rancid”. It is the ability of an oil to “go rancid” that makes it suitable for paint drying.

While true, this often gets overstated, and very frequently they charge more for oil that has these added antioxidants because consumers want it to last extra long. If one wants to buy a food grade quality oil, just do some research first is all, the information is rarely hard to find except if you are picking up the oil in a liquidation store (some of that stuff can be picked up cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeap, perfect for making soap on the cheap in huge quantities).

- Delo Delofasht
                                                              Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
                                                              • The topic ‘Where is the ‘smell of oils’ that I’ve read about?’ is closed to new replies.