Home Forums Explore Media Acrylics Partner: Blick Art Materials Problem with Utrecht Art Supply

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Bastet469

Hi All,
        Today was the last day of a 3-day sale at Utrecht Art Supply[/URL] both in-store & online. It supposedly featured all Utrecht brand paints for an additional 30% discount on top of the store’s standard discount. This meant a 65% total savings off the retail price. The catch? Shipping charges added to the in-store prices. These guaged prices are conveniently missing from the website. The only reason I know about this fraudulent practice is because I called my local store before I left home.

I asked about a 2 oz tube of Cadmium Red acrylic paint listed on sale for $6.10 online. In-store, the price went up to $7.98. I said there must be a mistake and told the salesperson the price listed online. She said the in-store price factors in shipping. Huh!? :confused:

I’m not naive, I’m sure brick and mortar stores factor shipping into their pricing. However, Utrecht is a big national chain, even bigger now that it’s owned by Dick Blick. So I find it hard to believe that they pay almost $2 shipping on a 2 oz tube of paint, especially their house brand.

Besides, big companies, like Utrecht/Blick, typically price their products the same online and in-store except in special cases like local store overstock. Any shipping charges are added when products are, in fact, SHIPPED to an individual’s home or business. So why should I have to pay excessive shipping for a house brand product that I drove to buy?

To me, this is a classic Bait n’ Switch. They get you in the store with the online advertised prices which you assume will apply since there’s no other price listed. Then they count on you caving in to the higher in-store prices instead of wasting the trip. It’s bad business and shouldn’t be rewarded. I certainly didn’t. Instead, my money and I stayed home where I wrote this post to protect your hard earned dollars. :angel:

I say call, email and complain until they change this unfair practice. The salesperson said to contact Dick Blick with any concerns on this matter.

-Wendy

Send an Email:
        [EMAIL=”[email protected]][email protected][/EMAIL]

Call Customer Service:
        1-800-723-2787
        1-309-343-6181 ext. 5405 (International)
        M-F: 6am-11pm CST, Sat-Sun: 7am-10pm CST
        O
        Send a Fax:
        1-800-621-8293 or 1-309-343-5785.

Mailing Address:
        Blick Art Materials
        P.O. Box 1267
        Galesburg, IL 61402-1267

[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"I like kids' work more than work by real artists any day."
        -Jean-Michel Basquiat [FONT=Palatino Linotype]
        Boy and Dog in a Johnnypump

The banner on the store website – right beside the 30% off banner – indicates free shipping on orders of $79 or more

http://www.utrechtart.com

There is another banner – very visible -letting you “upgrade shipping” for $ 2.99.

On the “Shipping” information under “Customer Service” the charges are spelled out in a clear table, based on the value of the order. On that page free shipping only kicks in at $150.

http://www.utrechtart.com/Shipping-g17t0.utrecht

There is nothing that indicated free shipping of a 2 oz tube of paint.

There is nothing compelling retailers to off the same prices online as in a bricks & mortar store where the company has to pay for light, heat, maintenance, cleaning, and pleasant staff and where some of that extra money, that extra $2, stays in your own community to be used to keep your local economy afloat instead of all being sucked out to a centralized shipping centre in some anonymous suburb of a city far far away.

I have no problem paying my independent local art supply shop or my independent bookstore, or my locally owned grocer or butcher a little premium in price to keep them in business. I look on it as an investment in my community that returns far more value to me in the long run, and keeps my city going, which helps keep me earning an income too.

I’m sorry you felt deceived, but usually when something seems too good to be true, it is.

"None are so old as those who have outlived enthusiasm." - Henry David Thoreau

Moderator Acrylics Forum~~~Reference Image Library

Moving this thread to Blick Partners forum – perhaps you could explain the situation to the poster?
        Thank you.
        Maureen – Moderator, Acrylics

Cheers, Maureen

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in the Florals/Botanicals forum , WDE in the All Media Art Events , Different Strokes in Acrylics forum .

Wendy,

We have an FAQ section regarding our pricing policy available on both our Blick and Utrecht sites. I have posted this FAQ here for your convenience. Please refer to Part II which focuses on our retail, catalog, and online pricing as well as other concerns that you have raised.

Pricing FAQs
        PART I: Demystifying MSRP (aka “List Price”)
        What is MSRP? MSRP stands for Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price (also known as “list price”). For virtually all products, MSRPs are published by the manufacturer of each product. Unless a product is our own brand, we do not set or inflate the MSRP. We report it. For our Blick and Utrecht brand products, the MSRP is established based on the MSRP of the third-party brand that most closely compares to ours in quality. There are also a few vendors (most notably, Sherwin-Williams/Krylon, Crayola, and 3M) that do not provide MSRPs. In these few cases, the “list price provided” is admittedly subjective.

Does a discount off the MSRP represent a sale price? Not necessarily. A typical example would be that a product has an everyday discount of 30% off the MSRP, but during promotional periods it may rise to 40% off the MSRP. Other products might be 40% and 50% off, respectively, etc. Paint lines often observe this type of format. Some products may never be promotionally priced.

Are the large discounts off the MSRP offered by Blick and Utrecht real? Yes. Many retailers, if not the bulk of them, use the MSRP as their everyday price. You will find this to be the case at big box craft stores. Blick, Utrecht, and other discount art suppliers offer significant value to the consumer by offering steep discounts. Both Blick and Utrecht (and our like-minded competitors) work hard to make sure artists get great value.

Why is the MSRP valuable to the consumer? As long as the MSRPs provided by the manufacturer are reported honestly by the retailer, the larger the discount advertised off the MSRP is, the lower the price to the consumer will be. In other words, if one retailer prices a product at 50% off the MSRP and another prices it at 40% off, the retailer at 50% off the MSRP is indeed charging a lower price for that particular product.

PART II: Location-based Pricing
        How do we set store prices? Our local retail staff comparison-shop all discount fine art supply competitors located within 25 miles of each of our stores. We adjust our prices based on these efforts to ensure that our customers are getting the best price. Further, we adjust prices toward online prices to ensure that after shipping and handling, preferred card discounts, and other factors are taken into account, the online and retail prices are similar overall. Blick and Utrecht guarantee to match the price of any art supply competitor within any store’s reasonable selling area.

How do we set online prices? Online prices are based on comparison-shopping at other online resellers. Blick’s online store adjusts its prices both up and down every day based on these comparisons. In this way, we try to take price out of the equation, making the consumer’s purchase decision come down to service and selection, where we believe Blick is superior. Eventually, Utrecht’s online store will follow this approach as well.

How do we set catalog prices? Annual catalog prices are set once, based on expected annual price increases from manufacturers. Unless a manufacturer has a very large price increase during the year (which is very unusual), these prices are honored throughout the year, but are typically higher than our online prices. Scholastic (K–12) and other institutional buyers are encouraged to contact our bid sales staff to establish a discount program off the annual catalog prices. Prices in the quarterly sale flyers are set based on the online price at the time of publication, but also include seasonal promotions offered through vendors.

Where do we charge the lowest price? The answer varies by product and transaction size. Some products have shipping characteristics (bulky, flammable, heavy, etc.) that make them cheaper at retail. Sometimes, there are products that are priced lower in a particular market at the request of a large customer (for example, an art school). However, as a general rule, larger transactions that can achieve the free freight threshold (usually set around $100) are less expensive overall online. For small transactions, it is almost always more economical within the Blick/Utrecht system to buy at a retail store to avoid shipping and handling charges.

Why don’t we just charge one price? Our policy is that each store must be market-competitive AND profitable. To us pricing is a local market consideration. With different cost structures and different competitors, a one-price approach would force us to close some stores because they could not break even at the lower prices offered at stores that have a more advantageous cost structure. If we raised prices in the low-cost locations to protect the high-cost stores, it would mean those other stores would lose volume and profitability because they would be charging a price higher than their local market would accept.

This FAQ is available to view on our Utrecht site via this link:http://www.utrechtart.com/Pricing-FAQ-g140t0.utrecht

This FAQ is available to view on our Blick site via this link:http://www.dickblick.com/customerservice/pricingpolicy

We hope that these FAQs help you, and all of our customers, better understand our pricing policies.

- your friends at Blick Art Materials

blickguy

I hate the mean word “bogus.” We do take it personally. I take pride in running a pretty honest show. First, that sale on Utrecht Paint is a discount level that happens maybe 4 times per year. It’s not an everyday thing.

Second, we don’t try to conceal that we charge different prices in different situations. It’s pretty much a fact of life now in retail, unless you have a huge brand (e.g., Apple). Companies that say the charge the same price across channels and circumstance are either lying or have a marketing gimmick (i.e., one too high price across all channels and locations). Our cost structure varies so much, it’s very difficult for me to see how that would work as a practical matter.

Also, Shipping and Handling is not just the pure shipping price. It’s the cost of picking, packing and processing orders. A $6.10 internet order is not profitable, we charge $4.99 in S&H, but it would still be a horrible money loser if it constituted the bulk of our business online. Our average web transaction is well over $100 (about 3x the size of our average retail transaction). We get tons of complaints on-line about shipping and handling for small orders, but economically, it’s impossible to change.

Since this probably won’t be perceived as good news, even though honest – there is some good news: At Blick, we have done a lot of analysis and are trying to prepare a real internet “price match” guarantee that would be done at the transaction level (i.e,. include shipping and handling impacts). Almost always, transactions under the free freight threshold are cheaper at retail currently. Usually orders over the free freight threshold, unless they have some sort of special handling built in (or are very heavy items) are cheaper online.

When and if we can figure out how to get this going, it will mean that retail customers will be able to shop knowing that they are entitled to an equivalent total deal to our online business.

My advice to customers is to buy whichever way is most convenient. Usually the differential isn’t that huge one way or the other.

Mike L

Many retailers, if not the bulk of them, use the MSRP as their everyday price.

That is not true. In fact, while looking to find some art supplier that actually sells products for MSRP I found zero. None. Cero. That doesn’t mean they not out there, but of the 20 or so online art suppply outlets I checked recently, every one of them sold below MSRP. Those with higher savings had higher shipping costs or other tricks to bring the bottom line up.

I would rather drive to Blick’s in St Louis to keep my money in the community even though I’m not crazy about paying sales tax. But I simply cannot afford to. Example:

Logan 350 mat cutter. Blick online – $98.00 plus 8.5% tax (for me), Blick in store – $129 plus 8.5% tax. Even with price match it’s about $115 because your site says you will add in the shipping before matching. …plus 8.5% tax. Art supply outlet selling through Amazon – $99.00, no shipping cost and no sales tax. As I told your clerk on the phone (and suggested he pass the comment on up the chain) businesses like yours are putting yourselves out of business.

Comparison – chain home improvement store – sells all their cordless blowers for the same price online and in stores. I know because I’ve been looking. I checked a few other items – same prices in store and online. If they can do it, you can do it. And still make profit!

Price isn’t everything. But in cases like this, I feel cheated when I can’t buy for the same price in store and online. Do your really think someone who feels cheated is every coming back? I’m thoroughly convinced that a retailer’s worst enemy is an informed consumer. I think you believe it, too, because you sure seem to treat us that way.

Blick’s isn’t alone. All the chain art supply outlets do the same thing. You spend too much money trying to make all the money you can and have lost sight of the fact that business is a two way street, not an opportunity to pick pockets with tricks and gimmicks.

How about this – when I drive 40 minutes down to Delmar, spend 20 minutes in Blick’s down there, then drive 40 minutes back home – you pay me the shipping fee just like you pay UPS? Why should I do for free what you pay someone else to do?

Harsh words, I know, but that’s how I see it and how I feel. And they are based on fact, not what someone else is saying.

Practice religion freely and freedom religiously.

blickguy

First, you are correct that we will not match to undelivered prices. Our policy is to get really close to the best price out there, but that includes delivery charges in our view (not taxes, which are still the legal obligation of buyer even if the retailer is not collecting them).

The rest of what you say, I disagree with…

Go to any big box craft store and you will find major brand products, like liquitex and winsor regularly marked at and even above MSRP, ditto with most other independent art supply stores. We do have an excellent competitor in the St. Louis market that does discount somewhat off list, but generally not as deep as us.

MSRP pricing is common. But you can argue if you wish, lawyers will tell me to avoid mentioning specific company names. But, I see nothing wrong with a URL (as of 7/30/2015). It took me less then five minutes to find this example. But one is all it takes since you said “cero.”

http://www.dickblick.com/products/liquitex-professional-spray-paint/

Our Price $7.19, list 11.99 – 400 ML/12oz can

http://www.michaels.com/liquitex-professional-spray-paint/MD002735S.html?dwvar_MD002735S_color=Fluorescent%20Red#q=liquitex+professional+spray+paint&start=1

Price 11.99= to…list (note: you can get it 9.93 if you buy 3 of the same color): Again as of my specific point in time – 7/30/2015 very late

In terms of pricing on the Logan 350-1 Mat Cutter; I’m looking at our site now on 7/30/2015 – it changes all the time, but the current situation is common at this point in time:

http://www.dickblick.com/ – home page offer is $89 free shipping code “CDXD”

http://www.dickblick.com/products/logan-350-1-compact-elite-mat-cutter/ – price, $98.77.

I just tested to make sure nothing funky was going on. Free shipping applies. Depending on your state may, we will add sales tax, but then again, you owe it as “use” tax whether we collect or not.

For our Delmar and other Blick retail stores….the web match policy at this date, is 1, you must be signed up to our free preferred customer program, and 2, you would receive the benefit of our generic home page offer. Thus, you would be charged $98.77 plus tax in our store, as well as online.

Thus, you can shop at Blick and save $0.13 versus what is most likely a lower service supplier and one that isn’t spending any money sponsoring sites like this one that you enjoy frequenting.

Hope that helps clear this up.

Mike L

You’re the pro at finding those things and it took you five minutes? Hmmm. But remember, I didn’t say they didn’t exist, I said I hadn’t seen it in the 20 or so websites I viewed. 1 out of 21 isn’t “the majority” as you stated. And that was just one product.

Instead of spending money on coming up with more tricks and gimmicks, just give your customers a fair price on the products across the board. By fair I mean to you and the customers. Or pay the people who deliver your products to their own doors the shipping fees. Fair is fair.

Of course, in another thread you stated that selling your products internationally in small quantities loses money for you. I know you don’t really lose that money because somebody else makes up for it. Wonder who that is.

In another thread a WC member came here for a solution to a problem after getting blown off by your customer service department. Your response? Call customer service.

If other chain stores can offer same price in store as they offer online, so can you. It really is that simple.

And, please, don’t throw in our faces that you support WC. You wouldn’t drop a penny here if it didn’t make you money and the cost wasn’t a business deduction. That statement is a slap in the face.

Nitpick all you want. It’s your business model, but not one I like or will submit to.

Practice religion freely and freedom religiously.

Anonymous

My thanks to Blick rep for the level headed posts.

blickguy

My job is to try to inform customers so that they can make their choices. We take no pleasure in disappointing anyone. I spend a good part of my day reading surveys etc. to try to better serve customers while also, admittedly, trying to make a buck. Either I’m not always very good at it, or it just isn’t that easy.

In reading your message more carefully, I would tend to agree that most websites and sell below MSRP. The largest craft stores run some sales, but otherwise, tend to be very near list. They make up for it in part by offering single item coupons at 40% off, but these are riddled with exceptions. Our internal studies show that we can be 40% less on larger transactions these guys. We think that’s pretty good value. Brick and mortar stores tend to be near list on an everyday basis, with some squirelliness around private lable goods.

In terms of fair price and the delivered price model for web matching: We disagree, no question, but we don’t hide it. We want our customers to feel secure that if they support our local store they aren’t going to pay more than if they had it delivered to their home. Depending on the product, you may pay less. It’s their choice – only the customer can make the tradeoff of convenience/cost to go to the store.

You want us to “refund” your cost of driving to the store or take that into account. We don’t look at it that way – if the cost of driving is too high, our view is that you are better off buying from our online site.

In terms of the sponsorship point: Absolutely, we do it to build our brand reputation. It’s one of our differentiators. We hope that when it is a tie in other factors, people will take our support of the arts into account in their purchase decision. It’s more altruistic than you give us credit for, but certainly we wouldn’t do it if we didn’t think it was in our long run interest to support the industy that nourishes us.

From the forum and its members, we at least expect to get the benefit of the doubt and treated respectfully. In your analysis on the matcutters, you did not use the active home page offer to determine the price and then were factually incorrect the wrong way about our actual price in comparison to our competition, both in brick and mortar and onlne.

This goes past cynicism into the territory of damaging mistruths. And, if that’s the best we can get out of the relationship with forum users at Wetcanvas, we will need to re-evaluate the relationship. That’s not a threat, it’s a fact.

Anonymous

Consider this thread title. These forums are not the place for casting such damaging aspersions. Imagine everyone in this community bashing other
                                    businesses and/or even bashing our fellow member’s artwork, which for some, it is their livelyhood and source of income. The posters could conceivably be subject to litigation.

Thank you Blick for your well-thought out response.

I was going to post some….. sanity….. in response to some of the comments and accusations but it isn’t worth it, it won’t make a difference.

Thanks Blick for doing that online matching program. That was really awesome of you, and i was so surprised the first time I saw the discount at checkout.

Lady Mars Orange Marmalade Stapleford
                                    Moderator: OIls, Pastels, Plein Air

Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken. -Oscar Wilde

blickguy

Thanks,

It’s actually a pretty amazing program in terms of giving customers, especially larger ones, a better price on retail purchases.

Bastet469

You’re the pro at finding those things and it took you five minutes? Hmmm. But remember, I didn’t say they didn’t exist, I said I hadn’t seen it in the 20 or so websites I viewed. 1 out of 21 isn’t “the majority” as you stated. And that was just one product.

Instead of spending money on coming up with more tricks and gimmicks, just give your customers a [I]fair [/I]price on the products [I]across the board[/I]. By fair I mean to you and the customers. Or pay the people who deliver your products to their own doors the shipping fees. Fair is fair.

Of course, in another thread you stated that selling your products internationally in small quantities loses money for you. I know you don’t really lose that money because somebody else makes up for it. Wonder who that is.

In another thread a WC member came here for a solution to a problem after getting blown off by your customer service department. Your response? Call customer service.

If other chain stores can offer same price in store as they offer online, so can you. It really is that simple.

And, please, don’t throw in our faces that you support WC. You wouldn’t drop a penny here if it didn’t make you money and the cost wasn’t a business deduction. That statement is a slap in the face.

Nitpick all you want. It’s your business model, but not one I like or will submit to.

Thanks for the backup Mike. :) I had stopped checking this thread because there were so few posts. As for me, I haven’t shopped at Blick, online or in-store, since Blickguy’s hot-headed response to my concerns last year. I’m amazed that after a year, he still vehemently defends his company on this issue. Like I said… hot-head. :Lol:

-wendy

[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"I like kids' work more than work by real artists any day."

Bastet469

Consider this thread title. These forums are not the place for casting such damaging aspersions. Imagine everyone in this community bashing other
                                                businesses and/or even bashing our fellow member’s artwork, which for some, it is their livelyhood and source of income. The posters could conceivably be subject to litigation.

My thread was never about disparaging Dick Blick. It’s about informing and protecting WC Members and other consumers. This area of the site is is exactly the place where customers can voice their praises as well as their concerns. It doesn’t remotely compare to bashing someone’s artwork. This is about business not art.

And the business in question isn’t some struggling Mom and Pop local store. Blick is a national chain with about 70 stores in addition to it’s online store. Their annual revenue is estimated at over $100 million with an annual growth rate of 8-10%. This fact is what makes their pricing policy so heinous and why I felt compelled to alert WC Members.

By the way, I come from a family of attorneys, including my Dad and I can assure any posters that what they say here will not result in litigation. I won’t bore you with the legal details. But you and anyone else that works with or for WetCanvas might, want to refrain from expressing your opinions on this particular issue to prevent any conflict of interest since Blick is a WC partner.

-wendy

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.