WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Watercolor > The Learning Zone
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-23-2017, 01:43 PM
Lord of the Arts
San Diego

Hails from United States
Re: Is there a brand of synthetic rounds you love?

In general Princeton does budget brushes aimed at students and schools. I think whatever fibers they use for Faux Squirrel are cheap, as they are in various hobby brushes, like those sold at Hobby Lobby. In general all the soft black brushes are probably the same material, but I have not been able to tell what it is. I also suspect they tend to use cheaper polyester instead of nylon for their brushes.

When they say Faux Sable, Faux Kolinsky, Faux Squirrel, it is just marketing, they aren't saying what they are. There are ways of testing, via burning the fibers for example, but I have not done this. it's just guessing. In general the brush maker only says what a fiber is if it's really a selling point, thus top of the line fibers are called what they really are ( like Toray ), when they are vague and refuse to be specific, it means the specifics are inferior.

The synthetic brushes are usually polyester or nylon. Nylon is better than polyester, but is more expensive. In general there is a lot of variations, with specific brands of fibers mostly developed by Dupont, but also various Japanese companies. Toray Chemical Co owns many of these ( Taklon and of course Toray ) and seems to own the "high end" brand names of synthetic brush fibers.

Taklon is high end type of polyester. You can get Golden Taklon brushes at walmart, and this is probably the best of the low end fibers.

Toray is a high end type of Nylon, which is better.

Diameter matters, and better brushes vary the diameter. Real hair actually tapers, and has tiny rough spots or protuberances which help them retain water. Dying the brushes also affects them, think it fills in spaces which could be carrying water with whatever pigment is used, thus the white toray which perlas are made from is better as it's pure.

Versatil is a type of Nylon, but have not been able to figure out what its actually called. I don't think anyone else is using the same material. I suspect that Escoda has a strong working relationship with Toray Chemical, but this is based on the fact they list the fibers as Toray.

Last edited by briantmeyer : 06-23-2017 at 02:01 PM.
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-09-2017, 06:26 PM

I've been using the Escoda Versatil #8 round I received and it's honestly an amazing brush. I've never used real sable so can't compare it to that. However, it far outperforms any of the synthetics I have used including the the similarly priced DaVinci Nova round and any of the Princeton brushes I have(Neptune, Select, Velvetouch etc). I like it so much I am thinking of ordering another one in size 12 for larger washes.
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-09-2017, 06:45 PM
A Local Legend
Boerne, TX USA

Hails from United States

Any Escoda Versatil brush...any one!

Sling paint,
Virgil
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-10-2017, 12:46 AM
Warrenton Missouri

Hails from United States

I've got a couple of the Escoda Vercatils and played around with them. A size 8 round and a size 1/2 flat. They are the closest of all the other brushes I have to the control I can achieve with my 'Black Velvets'. A bit more a a snap to them. They do have an advantage over the 'Velvets' when doing grasses, fur or other quick lines. And both the round and flat are way better at dry brushing and other effects. So I do like them. And can see doing a painting with them. Being totally honest. The Escoda Versatils are the first brushes I've been happy with sense starting out with the 'Velvets'.
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-10-2017, 09:55 AM
Lord of the Arts
Middletown, Pa.

Hails from United States

Loew-Cornell Golden Taklon, Series 7020
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-17-2017, 02:50 PM
Veteran Member
Washington

Hails from United States

It certainly depends on the type of work you're doing, but a few personal favorites:
- Loew Cornell Ultra Rounds (I especially love these for detail)
- Escoda Versátil (I tend to prefer these in sizes 8 or above, as I didn't like the points in smaller sizes)
- Princeton Neptune (great for glazing and looser work. I love these for bigger brushes)
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-17-2017, 10:45 PM

I just got my first Versatil in a #8 Travel Round and it may not be my last. It's not super soft like my sables, my Isabey quill, or my Neptunes, but it has a killer point and control, which is exactly what I want for sketching on the go. So glad a friend recommended it to me. It also did not break the bank coming in at $19. It will complement my Cheap Joe's Legend Sable #8 travel brush which is a big fat brush that looks more like my #2 Isabey quill than other #8 rounds I have.