Home Forums Explore Media Decorative Arts, Murals, and Faux masonite or plywood for indoor mural?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

I’d appreciate recommendations or experiences relating to using hardboard (Masonite) or smooth plywood for a 4 ft. x 8 ft. mural to be hung indoors. If I used Masonite I thought 1/8 in. would be best, and not so heavy to which I’d use Liquid Nails to attach 1 x 2 boards as a frame on the back to stabilize it. Advice, PLEASE!

La_

for indoors plywood is probably overkill, but you could groove out a couple areas on the back as hanger holes and good-one-side plywood is nice to work on.

masonite (is what i’d use) can be hung with mirror hangers if the indoors doesn’t mind a few holes in the wall, i’m wary of ‘liquid nails’ – will it hold for years?

either would work so i think it comes down to your preference.

whatcha painting?

la

Both of these have a tendency to warp and moisture can cause swelling. I recommend gatorboard or mural cloth.

Angel :angel:
        Website Makeover Coming! This is available now.
        http://www.artist-bythesea.com/

Mechey

My experience is, plywood and Masonite is heavy and prone to warp. I prefer mural canvas.

Gatorboard is very rigid poly surface which is resistant to moisture. It is stronger than a regular foam board

Use Her Name

If the purpose is to protect the wall, then the liquid nails is a bad thing to use. Getting that off is very difficult.

Have you considered wallpaper? They sell rolls of paintable blank wallpaper at home stores.

If I was going to do a mural which I knew would be up for a long time, but would need to come down eventually, I would go with that.

Unless the owner does not want to ever part with it, in which case it is an oversized painting.

No longer a member of WC. Bye.

Use Her Name

Oh, by the way, I have done masonite with a frame. I made some huge cow cut outs that hang on a wall. When I have worked with muralists who have chosen to use a material over the wall, they have used framed canvas. Making a painting on canvas that is something like 8 feet by 15 feet requires the canvas to be put up in a few separate panels. Canvas that size also requires a pretty thick frame. (I used to make theater sets as well).

No longer a member of WC. Bye.

mstitt49259

Awesome.. I’m hoping you awesome folks can help me out.
                        I got a message from a gentleman in California. He wants me to do a mural in a home that he purchased near by.
                        My problem… I’ve done one mural with acrylics.

I need to make this an installation dimensions
                        15 foot by 8 ft.
                        So I’ve tentatively decided to use masonite because I will be able to acquire that easily.
                        He wants me to use spray paint. I did a test piece with oil on an old glass window…
                        Any advice to avoid trouble?
                        Also,
                        Payments and avoiding a scam or no pay situation. Advice?
                        Thanks a lot
                        Matt

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.