WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Printmaking
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-09-2012, 10:45 PM
Trabuco Canyon, CA

Hails from United States
Mezzotint rocker

OK. Have never done a "traditional" type mezzotint, but am thinking of trying it out. Do people still rock their own plates, or do they buy them "pre-rocked"? Also, is the 85 gauge 2.5" rocker the one I should be looking for? Or is a higher gauge more desirable? Thanks
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-10-2012, 09:49 AM
A WC! Legend
Corrales, New Mexico

Hails from United States
Re: Mezzotint rocker

I've not rocked a plate but I have bought them from Takach Press. I bought the copper plate from them and then the rocking service was added on. It was a joy to work with because it was well rocked. I'm beginning to have issues with repetitive motion from cutting, etc. so opted to pay rather than risk getting a sore hand.

Diane
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-10-2012, 06:31 PM
Edinburgh

Hails from Scotland

I do both.
I have an 85 gauge rocker which does a good job. 65 gauge produces a slightly more robust burr. Be prepared to spend a LONG time rocking though. it is a very labour intensive process. Here in the UK there is a supplier (Martin Maywood)of excellent pre rocked plates not done by machine. I have used these and they are first class. He supplies whatever gauge you want.

http://www.mezzotint.co.uk/intro1.htm

I also strongly recommend getting your hands on a copy of 'The Mezzotint, History and Technique' by Carol Wax. It is out of print but can be found at a half decent price with a bit of Googling. If you do plan to rock your own plates she gives clear instructions and describes the various rocking patterns needed to get an evenly rocked plate. A rocking pole or jig and weights make the task easier too. Julie Niskanen supplies a simple jig but if you are handy it is not difficult to make your own rocking pole.

http://www.julieniskanen.com/mezzotintproducts.html
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-13-2012, 11:15 AM
Trabuco Canyon, CA

Hails from United States

Thanks for all your comments. Think I will keep my eyes open for a 100 gauge rocker, but in the meantime will take your advice Diane regarding what the long-term effects might be of rocking my own plate as compared to buying a pre-rocked plate.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-13-2012, 02:49 PM
Edinburgh

Hails from Scotland

I don't think you should go for a higher gauge. 85 or 65 is probably the best bet.