WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Photography > Digital Manipulation Discussions
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-11-2012, 03:06 AM
A Local Legend
Middlesex, England

Hails from United Kingdom
dpi post

Some of you may know I put up a dpi question ...got some good answers from some of you, including one from, Ithink, eeJamesK (?) who hails from Canada.

the post had disappeared, which is frustrating; I tried to repost last night and could not, we shall see if this one works.

The update is that the printer INSISTS that the images are minimum 150dpi, ideally 300dpi, so I guess Ihave to resize, and have smaller images in the book. Very frustrating.

someone did send a link to two different add-ons for Photoshop for resizing (tho checking the unsample box works). I would like to look at them again, if you spot this. thanks.

Last edited by jackiesimmonds : 01-11-2012 at 03:07 AM. Reason: post disappeared
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-11-2012, 03:59 AM
Veteran Member
Cheshire U.K.

Re: dpi post

I would suggest two things.
First contact the printer's manufacturer with your problem.
The second, go onto a Photoshop users or tutorial site re. the add ons.

Last edited by frodron : 01-11-2012 at 04:01 AM.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2012, 03:02 AM
A Local Legend
Middlesex, England

I have contacted the appropriate people, as you say, but I am afraid they are most unbelievably unhelpful. I think the problem is that Blurb send their work out to the printer. They are not the printers. They have absolutely no intention of allowing any deviation from their rules, and I guess, from their software.

thanks for the suggestions tho; I have been onto the Photoshop site, but the only suggestion was to do what Ihave been doing, which is resize in the right way, but that gives me very small image sizes. Someone else has offered me a different bit of software to try, FastStone Image Viewer, which she tried on one of my pics, and managed to resize a 72dpi image to quite a large size, with sufficient pixels for the printer, so I plan to try that.

thanks anyway
Jackie
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2012, 04:03 AM
Veteran Member
Cheshire U.K.

As I understand it you are trying to increase the number of pixels in a picture.
This as far as I know cannot be done with any degree of success.
If this was possible then you would not need cameras with high pixel specifications.
If you do manage to do it then I doubt if you will be satisfied with the outcome.
One idea that might work is to photograph your picture with a camera that has say a reasonably high pixel capacity which would result in a picture with a lot more pixels & use that.
Hope this helps.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2012, 10:10 AM
A Local Legend
South Dakota, USA

Hails from United States

I am really getting tired of my post disappearing but here is something I do on occasion. Seems to work OK.

Check out this link.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2012, 12:44 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from Canada

Hi Jackie,

Shame we lost our post, you seemed to be on track with your last response that I saw on there.

I suspect that you and the Blurbites are just at crossed purposes with terminology. So, let's get back to basics - how many pixels is one of the images you are having trouble with, and how big do you want it to be printed on the page? We'll go from there.

Regards,
James.

#7   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-13-2012, 10:12 AM
A Local Legend
Middlesex, England

for goodness sake, I printed a reply to this..............it has gone AGAIN. Come on guys, do sort this out.

I will try to be brief.

Frodron.......can be done. I have now had advice from a web designer. It was suggested I use FastStone Image Viewer, a free download, with it one can change the dpi, AND the picture size, without loss of quality. I change the original image from a jpg to a png, that gets rid of any jpg quality issues, and then there is a simple resize/resample box, it changes the dpi, and adjusts the size. I Check to see there is not too much change in quality, and I'm done. Perhaps, if necessary, a bit of sharpening.
I have all ready photographed all the work, that is the problem. It is not a question of rephotographing, the paintings are all sold! I have about 80 images to resize because Blurb, the book publisher, insists upon minimum 150-300 dpi.

James, the book is to be 7x7", and I can have the pics large or small, up to me, but whatever size I choose, must be 150-300dpi.

I think I might have cracked it, with FastStone. Seems to be a good bit of kit.

thanks anyway
Jackie

Last edited by jackiesimmonds : 01-13-2012 at 10:14 AM.