Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting Newbie- bob Ross yeah or nay

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    gigih

I’ve recently been watching some bob Ross episodes on pbs. I have enjoyed his work and been inspired to try working with oils ( I currently use watercolors).
        I have heard both pros and cons regarding his style. Do you see anything wrong with learning from his shows. I like his alla prima style and I am mostly interested in landscapes which is another appeal for me.

Humbaba

I am afraid you will not learn anything really useful from watching his shows. They are that, a show.

Try getting used books, such The Big Book of Oil Painting:

https://www.amazon.com/Big-Book-Oil-Painting-Techniques/dp/0823004953

Anonymous

It is a very repetitive, formulaic, and very limited style of painting that relies upon quick and dirty shortcut “tricks” that are not as easy to do as they look, it seems to appeal to those who are interested in instantaneous gratification for their simplistic efforts. It can be fun for some, and since painting with his method, or by numbers, is not brain surgery or mortal combat and no one gets hurt, it is harmless and you are still free to pursue a wider range of techniques and styles should you decide to move on.

Don Ketchek

There is nothing wrong with learning from his shows. They will teach you the basics of oil painting – or any type of painting actually. Trouble is, Bob does not actually teach you in art terms. He just does it. So as you begin to paint with his techniques, understand that you are using one method of painting when there are many. His method is to block in large simple shapes with then begin to add detail shapes. Only he doesn’t use those terms.

Two things I think will help you. When you feel you have a comfortable grip on the technique of actually applying oil paint, begin to use actual reference. This way you will avoid painting stereotypical trees, mountains, etc. The second thing is don’t worry if you can’t do the painting all in one sitting. Applying wet paint over wet paint can be helpful in some situations and problematic in others. If you reach a point where it would be easier to stop and let the paint dry – do it!

That’s my 2 cents.

Don

Since you ask for opinions…”Nay” on Bob Ross…if you decide to take painting seriously you will spend a lot of time “unlearning” his ideas of quickie flash painting. My most difficult students to teach were Bob Ross fans who didn’t understand why they couldn’t do a 16 x 20 painting a day and make their first million in a matter of months. It is worth the journey to learn what make great painters great. Look up Mark Carder and go to his website which is filled with the “hows” and “whys” from start to finish on paintings. It is loaded with free videos that are step by step. You do not need to buy his paints or products, but do get a better quality of paints.

Wishing you the best in painting. After 30+ years as a successful artist I have learned a thing or two…My honest 2 cents worth.:thumbsup:

Angel :angel:
                    Website Makeover Coming! This is available now.
                    http://www.artist-bythesea.com/

sound

As far as i am concerned , please dont. I am also a newbie in oils . I also took up oils coming from a watercolor background. I have done around 15-20 paintings in oils. Please dont resort to those ‘tricks’, ‘hacks’, ‘techniques’ . Also they dont produce natural results at all. If you want to learn oils just play around with it and watch demos. Takes first hand help from someone who actually can paint in oils. Thats how i learnt. Though, i dont claim to have learnt it completely.

Monsur

Raffless

People forget that Bobs edges and palette knife work are actually very very good.

~JMW~

There are other more realistic artist styles, but it depends on what you want to do..
                                His style isn’t as easy as it looks, even he had copies off to the side to work from..and he did it for many many years..
                                practice & study is key..for anything

~Joy~

Pinguino

I advise against the Bob Ross method. As was already mentioned, his show is a show, meant to be a show.

If you browse through Wet Canvas archives (use search), you will find some satisfied users of the Bob Ross method, and even some good paintings done that way. But you will also find many unhappy hobbyists who have met with little success, and others who succeed but are locked into a single kind of scene.

The problem is not with the Bob Ross brand of paints, which are well-suited to his style. The problem is the style itself, “wet on wet.” This technique is difficult to master, and even more difficult to correct mistakes. It does, however, use a lot of paint.

So, I advise you to learn using other methods. You can use the Bob Ross paints, if you wish.

Richard P

The problem is the style itself, “wet on wet.” This technique is difficult to master, and even more difficult to correct mistakes. It does, however, use a lot of paint.

Funnily enough I paint this way so much I prefer painting wet on dry much more difficult :)

mack-n-nc

I am a newbie, using the Bob Ross techinque…and honestly I have yet to turn out a recognizeable painting…it is far far more difficult than he makes it appear on TV…I’m still struggling along though… there is one member here who is successfully using Bob Ross methods…saw a painting of a tree swing he did not so long ago…plus at couple of other members who have used his method and moved on…Searching my threads here will show them I would think…most of my threads are here in Oil Painting.

I love modern technology. I just don't want to touch it!....C&C welcome

Trond

My recommendations for learning to paint in oil would be books by Alwyn Crawshaw for beginners, and Richard Schmid for a bit more advanced painters. For a much more elaborate technique based on careful drawings I would recommend checking out the illustrator Donato Giancola (he has videos on youtube, as well as books). Alternatively check out Ken Howard for a looser technique. All of these are (in my opinion) much better sources than Bob Ross, but do whatever inspires you of course.

marksmomagain

I grew up watching both Mr. Alexander and Mr. Ross and I loved both those shows, never missed a one. They made learning oil painting absolutely fun and I thought it was way cool to have a painting show on TV. As an aside there was also a sewing show I used to watch, I think her name was Nancy I miss all those old shows..

Anyway, I don’t paint in that style (I’m much more realistic) but they both inspired me and it was like having another fellow painter in the room. I have many of those oil paints and mediums, and very many of their brushes.

There’s no harm in watching them and getting started the way they painted. I think they were more geared towards the fun enjoyment of creating a painting. Thats ok. One can become more involved with the theory and process should they chose. Branch off and experiment on your own. You’ll get there…

I have very many art books (I love old art books) and learn from all of them..
                                                    Schmid, Parramon, Ross, Alexander, etc., etc.

kin3

Watch YouTube if you can. Some I would recommend is Jerry Yarnell, Kevinn Hill, Chuck Black, and Micheal James Smith.

jnicholes

Hello,

I use the Bob Ross method. I paint a lot with it. It’s a good method to use, once you get the technique down. I learned only from watching bob ross videos. It took me several months to get down.

If anybody who is trying the Bob Ross method wants to learn, I would be more than happy to help them. I know a lot of things about the technique.

I would post a picture of my most recent work, but I can’t at the moment.

Happy painting,

Jared

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.