Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting Pals

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    WFMartin

I just finished this oil painting. This is a 16″ x 20″ oil on a RayMar, Oil-primed Linen Panel. I used a combination of paints by M. Graham, and The Art Treehouse, both of which are bound in Walnut Oil.

To condition my paints, I used my very wonderful, and dependable special layering/glazing medium, composed of traditional ingredients.

“Pals”….16″ x 20” oil on RayMar Linen Panel

wfmartin. My Blog "Creative Realism"...
        https://williamfmartin.blogspot.com

This is great Bill, they really love each other and it comes through clearly. :)

Lady Mars Orange Marmalade Stapleford
        Moderator: OIls, Pastels, Plein Air

Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken. -Oscar Wilde

🤟🏻

I love this, very well done getting the emotions across!

Paul Moreau
            Insta @pmoreau_fine_art
            FB @pmoreaufineart

WFMartin

This is great Bill, they really love each other and it comes through clearly. :)

Thank you! Hey, I just browsed your blog, and I saw a very nice, metal proportional divider on one page of it. Could you inform me where you obtained that? I looks like a good one, and is much more solid than the cumbersome, composite plastic one that I own.

Mine only cost about $8, as I recall.:lol:

Bill… it is a good one, also a lethal weapon so don’t accidentally drop it on yourself. I named mine Stabby for a reason… :eek:

I have this one from Jerry’s… I see it has gone up in price quite a bit since I got mine, I think I paid around $90. To be honest you don’t have to spend that much and if I had known better I wouldn’t have… there are brass ones for about half the price. I just knew at the time I didn’t want a plastic one. This is very good quality and you aren’t constrained by any measurement slots.

If you need to do larger work get a bigger one, or divide your picture into quadrants or something. :)

Lady Mars Orange Marmalade Stapleford
                Moderator: OIls, Pastels, Plein Air

Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken. -Oscar Wilde

kentiessen

Very nice William- great story!

Ken Tiessen

www.KenTiessenArt.com
                    Comments or Critiques welcomed...always!

bhindi

Wow! I can feel the love in this. It’s a very unique portrait of a man and his beloved horse.

Ellis Ammons

:thumbsup: Nice characters and color

Check out my work in the acrylics Hall of Fame Camellia WIP
                            oil and acrylic paintings..

Dcam
                                WFMartin

Thank you, everyone. I’m having a bit of a bad day, today, and your nice comments are good to hear!

Stapeliad, thanks for the information. What a pricey little tool that is, though!

mack-n-nc

Excellent work, Bill…you’re an example of what I hope to eventually be…

I love modern technology. I just don't want to touch it!....C&C welcome

WFMartin

Excellent work, Bill…you’re an example of what I hope to eventually be…

Wow. Thank you! That is about the nicest comment I’ve ever received! But, I’m hoping that you will far exceed anything that I’ve done.

JCannon

That is beautiful work. Truly.

I know that comparisons can be problematic, since different artists have different goals. But there was a thread about Mark Carder recently to which I did not contribute — and the truth is that, while I respect Carder (whose work can be breathtaking, and who has earned a LOT more at this game than I ever could), there’s something about that guy’s work that rubs me the wrong way.

I think that “something” comes down to this: A lot of Carder’s work looks, to my eye, like photographs made with paint.

I like realistic, representational painting. But there’s a difference between a good realistic work (like this one) and a photograph made with paint.

WFMartin

That is beautiful work. Truly.

I know that comparisons can be problematic, since different artists have different goals. But there was a thread about Mark Carder recently to which I did not contribute — and the truth is that, while I respect Carder (whose work can be breathtaking, and who has earned a LOT more at this game than I ever could), there’s something about that guy’s work that rubs me the wrong way.

I think that “something” comes down to this: A lot of Carder’s work looks, to my eye, like photographs made with paint.

I like realistic, representational painting. But there’s a difference between a good realistic work (like this one) and a photograph made with paint.

I honestly believe that “something being a bit ‘wrong'” is because of the concept of mechanically isolating specific colors of the subject (whether it be a photo, or from real life), for the purpose of matching exactly the color of the subject.

I realize that many disagree with me on the point I’m about to make, but please give this a consideration, if you will. When one views any scene in real life–let’s say a landscape, for example–there are not only the colors of the objects in the scene, but numerous optical illusions of color, as well.

For example, many cast shadows appear a bit Blue, or Violet, to the viewer’s eye, when viewed in context, and this is because Blue, or Violet are complementary colors to Yellow, or Orange, the color of the light shining upon the objects that create those shadows.

These Blue shadows are an optical illusion, pure and simple, and they only exist between the viewer’s eye, and the viewer’s brain. Those shadows truly are NOT Blue, but merely a darker version of the surface upon which the shadow is being cast. (That’s the reason they don’t show up in a photograph.)

Now, when one “waxes scientifically” enough to isolate the color of that cast shadow, thus removing it from the surrounding Yellow light that is causing it to appear Blue, or Violet in the real-life scene, ….it ceases to be Blue, at all, and merely takes on the color of a darker version of the surface upon which it is being cast.

My feeling is that while super-accurate color matching can be accomplished with many types of “color checkers”, it causes you to lose the effect of the moment, that involves all these optical illusions that are created by the close proximity of light, and cast shadows.

That may be the reason Carder’s, or anyone else’s paintings appear to be a photograph done with paint, as much of the “reality” that is represented by these numerous optical illusions of color in the real scene are lost because of isolating such colors for the purpose of matching them precisely.

The isolating of colors for the purpose of matching them accurately is a very useful concept, but one needs to know when using it is appropriate, and when it is not.

Anyway…..That’s my theory!:D

Raffless

I agree Bill. If you take away the mystery you suck the life out of a painting. You have to give the viewer something that works on their own imagination.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.