Home Forums The Think Tank Art History Discussions Looking to find the name of an artist (no pictures)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Ryeath

Many years ago (guess around 15 or so) I saw an article in a magazine in a waiting room. I don’t recall the name of the magazine (it was the typical waiting room magazine Time, Life, People, Newsweek etc.), not an art magazine. The article featured a profile on an artist that did some amazing paintings that had strong emphasis on dark and light Usually featuring very dark stormy skies with a small opening where the sun would shine through and highlight the main subject, for example a ship on a rough sea.
        I would guess the active period for this painter would have been roughly 1960’s – 2000ish?

I know it’s a long shot with not any real info to go on, but I get the impression if I could find the name anywhere it would be here.

Thanks for reading.

C&C always welcomed.

vandogh

Try looking up painting of ships on rough seas. That might give you some idea of what style your looking for, and then you can find the painter. Might help you narrow down the field.

Use Her Name

Winslow Homer?

No longer a member of WC. Bye.

Ryeath

Thanks for the suggestion vandough. A lot a really great paintings following that link, but nothing that stood out as what I recall seeing. And it wasn’t all ships, but I do remember a couple.

Katy, I googled Winslow Homer and it looks like he did a ton of sea pictures, but nothing had the extreme light / dark contrast I recall.

On those rare occasions when the sky is really dark with thunderclouds and the sun breaks out behind you and everything in front of you is so highlighted it seems like you can see every detail in it, a tree may be 100 yards away but you can see each leaf like you were holding it in your hands. That is what these paintings looked like.

It is not important, not even sure what triggered my memory of the article, but I appreciate the time taken to consider and respond.

C&C always welcomed.

Use Her Name

I actually was wondering if you meant Andrew Wyeth. Time magazine had him as a cover once in 63, and also in 86. The time 1986, and the magazine “Time” would make it about “The Helga Paintings” which are very much high contrast “Dark and Light.” I was confused about the sea/storm/light thing. I actually went to LA and saw that exhibit. The pictures really changed my life.

No longer a member of WC. Bye.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.