Home Forums Explore Media Drawing and Sketching New joiner: recent drawings

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    PenguinPower

Hi I have recently joined and I will start the Classroom 101 shortly. Here are some recent drawings I added to the pre-class thread, I hope the link works!

https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showpost.php?p=21423321

I would appreciate c&c.
        Thanks in advance

fedetony

Well, you have good likeness and proportion sense (both children are very nice references)… It depends what direction you would like to go for some of us to help you get somehow faster there :).. Do you aim for shapes and figure?, looseness?, realism?, what issues you encounter? what is difficult or you think you need some technical advice? From what I saw you need to work in contrast and detailing … let us know :)..

Federico Garcia
            My Blog
            C&C always welcome :D

"...when someone gives a critique of your work, fear not. It usually means they like or care more of your work than when they just pat your back." - Tiago

PenguinPower

Thanks. As much as I admire hyper realism, ultimately I am more interested in being able to create an artistic representation that evokes emotion, (and for portraits, the character and essence of a person). However to do that effectively I think I need to get better at so much basic drawing! shapes, proportions, colour and tone etc. I much prefer the style of Katherine Tyrrell to that of Alyona Nickelsen for example but I am open to trying all sorts of techniques so that I can eventually create artwork in a particular way because I want to, rather than that being the only way I know/ can do.

fedetony

Well, the classroom 101 is the correct place to explore different styles and techniques. I think you already started in the correct path :).

Federico Garcia
                    My Blog
                    C&C always welcome :D

"...when someone gives a critique of your work, fear not. It usually means they like or care more of your work than when they just pat your back." - Tiago

You shouldn’t have much trouble getting yourself sorted to where you want to be. The biggest hurdle I see has to do with values … you are limiting yourself by keeping things too light. You’ll see that the more impactful drawings tend to have rich darks which is something you control. Remember – at least with white paper – the paper sets the whitest whites but you are controlling the overall tonal range by setting the blackest black. In a portrait, this is usually the pupil in the eye. So if you do not go dark enough, your range will be limited and you will end up with what is called a “high key” drawing – on the light side. So for impact you will find going dark enough will do you well. This applies to whatever style you adopt be it realism or something less detailed. Value is critical in all mediums.

For example look at the range in this portrait … it’s that range that gives the image more impact.

PenguinPower
                        123harry

These are nice drawings. The kids’ portraits are very lifelike. I’d say just keep at it and at the same time look at as much drawing and painting as you can. Try to absorb the style features which appeal to you in others’ work.
                            The only crit I’d make, which has been suggested above, is that they are a bit tentative, not quite bold enough. A bit more emphasis with the lines and depth in the tone would enhance what is already very good artwork.

C&C always welcome.
                            Instagram harry.hamill

PenguinPower

Thank you! Arnoud is helping me through Drawing 101 so once I have assimilated all that I am hopeful I can improve ready for next summer holiday :)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.