Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Tirawen

I’ve been using an A3 Epson 48 bit colour scanner with a 800dpi resolution. I thought it would be fantastic, but unfortunately, my images are coming out too dark and with colours that aren’t quite right. It seems to have a problem with blues & greens. Two of my paintings have teal, turquoise and green colours. Instead, the deep, sea inspired turquoise looks dull and almost navy blue, because it hasn’t captured the green elements in it. I’ve tried editing it, playing with the colour balance but nothing can replace what wasn’t captured in the first place.

My monitor is capable of displaying such wonderful colours, so what could be going wrong? There’s no use calling the Epson helpline because I’ll be waiting forever for an answer, and I very much doubt that someone one from a call centre would be able to answer a question like that. Possible, but unlikely.

sandman_us

Hi Tirawen,

I’m not sure what you’ve have or haven’t tried, but here are a few suggestions that might help.

First of all, save your file in a ‘TIFF’ or ‘RAW’ format. Saving your files in JPEG format will be converted to 24-bit and you’ll lose the 48-bit image quality you desire.

Second, make sure that your scanner is set for 48-bit and not 24-bit. Most scanners give you the option of 24 or 48 bit, so ensure yours is set for 48.

Third, the Epson software gives you the option of selecting either a ‘Home’ mode or a ‘Professional’ mode. ‘Professional Mode’ will give you a much larger set of options to configure your scanner to better compensate for your issues. In ‘Professional Mode’, you should be able to adjust things like Saturation levels, Color Balance, Auto Exposure, Tone Correction, and Color Palette.

And fourth, don’t hesitate to do a print head nozzle check and a print head cleaning on occasion. These can make a big difference if either are dirty or plugged.

Hope this helps.

Best Wishes!

contumacious

Are the colors wrong on the monitor or when you print?

To get accurate colors in your scans and prints, you need to calibrate the scanner, the monitor and the printer. It isn’t all that easy to do, but well worth the effort. I used Google to figure it all out. It took me several days to get it right. To calibrate the printer, something like a ColorMunki is an absolute requirement.

I learned that most(all?) monitors will never display exactly what you are going to see when you print it, despite meticulous calibration. You have to make adjustments in the printing process to get there. At one point I had my printer tuned so tightly that it was very difficult to tell the difference between the original and the print. The monitor was never very close to the original or the print. You have to do a new calibration for every paper. Something like Photoshop that supports paper profiles is a must.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.