Home Forums Explore Media Watercolor The Learning Zone Daniel Smith Hand Poured Watercolor Half Pan Set of 15

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Marshall

Is anyone using this set?

It is based off of Jane Blundell’s Ultimate Mixing palette – https://www.janeblundellart.com/the-ultimate-mixing-palette-a-world-of-colours.html

If you have/use it I would like to hear your input.

Marshall
        Living the retired life in NE Florida

calvin_0

I dont use this set, but I have watch couple of video review about them.. so consensus are, the palette is badly design.. the mixing area doesnt stay flat and doesnt contain the mixture within the area.

here is one of the video review if you are interested.

Review: Daniel Smith Watercolor Palette Pan Sets

if you are interested is jane bundell’s ultimate mixing palette, just pick up the color individually and assemble the palette yourself..

janinep7

I concur with Calvin and would suggest the same. The pre-poured DS pan sets are pretty expensive. You could almost buy 15 of the 5ml tubes for what you will pay for shipping and make your own with your preferred colors.

Marshall

Thanks. after posting this I ordered several of the DS tube colors from Jane’s list. I’ll have a good set of 8 or 9 colors and maybe add to it later. I also ended up with concerns about the plastic palette and I would rather use a palette that I like.

The only issue I have with her palette is that while you have all the colors there isn’t much actual info on combining them unless you buy her book which isn’t cheap.

Marshall

Ted B.

Her website has most of the information in her book….and a lot more. I don’t have half her patience to work through all the combinations. But the DS palette box doesn’t look very painter friendly, it’s more “a box with a lid” than “palette box”.

Somehow it seems that each new palette box design is less than the ones before. A race to the bottom avoiding someone else’s patent and intellectual property? And the cheapest plastics moldable, I guess. Do any of these palette box designers actually paint?

A personal bias, but… I think you’re better-off just buying tube paints and using a Mijello-type palette box for in the studio. For plein air I really haven’t found a decent, practical palette box that you can comfortably hold in you lap or lap outdoors. The Mijello is really too-large for plein air quick sketches, and a bit awkwards to hold outdoors. Enameled tin is still the best for mixing., though Enamel spray-paint can improve a “beady” plastic surface.

I used to have an enameled tinware plate that worked great, light and wouldn’t break like a chinaware plate. Alas, now they’re “trendy” and collectible….and expensive.

Radical Fundemunsellist

Marshall

Is there a Mijello that you like or recommend?

I have the one shown here and may get another one for the DS paints.

https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1475764

Marshall

Macarona

I found these two sets, but I don’t know if they are also available in us stores.
                                https://www.kreativ.de/DANIEL-SMITH-Aquarell-Sets-halbe-Naepfchen.html?pgNr=1

kind regards Macarona
                                Stay calm, you can not protect all people from mistakes they make. They should also be allowed to learn from mistakes and gain experience.
                                Especially financial mistakes.:angel: Keep calm, you can not prevent that there are not only reasonable suggestions from people. Specifically on the subject: only try and how long. Important topic: Please Save the Internet, that we can still share a lot of knowledge. # No articles 11 and 13!!!

hblenkle

The Mijello Artelier Peel-off Palette
                                    I have used it for many years. What I really like is that the mixing area can be cleaned by using a paper towel with soapy water followed by a wet paper towel to rinse the soap off. It removes even thalo stains at least it does for me. I don’t remember if washes beaded up at first, but the mixing area doesn’t bead up now.

Marshall

This is the Mijello that I have – https://www.michaels.com/mijello-fusion-airtight-leak-proof-palette/10120304.html

Marshall

hblenkle

My painting friend that I go to classes with has that palette and she could not remove all the thalo stains from it by the soap and rinse method that I use. I wipe areas clean in the mixing well with a paper towel when I need to and only use the soap once a year.

Marshall

Does your palette look like this one – https://www.michaels.com/martin-universal-airtight-peel-off-palette/10273775.html

Marshall

I can easily remove phthalo stains from the mixing areas of my plastic or enamel coated palettes by using a clean white eraser when all my wells are dry. It’s easy to then just dust off the eraser leavings.

It is my experience that most sets are sold with colours that I’ll never use. I always start out my new Students with a basic palette that has a generous 14 colour selection. They can expand that as they gain experience. And the best way to learn about colours is to use them rather than reading about them.

Char --

CharMing Art -- "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art." Leonardo DaVinci

Marshall

I always start out my new Students with a basic palette that has a generous 14 colour selection. They can expand that as they gain experience. And the best way to learn about colours is to use them rather than reading about them.

Char, I would love to hear what those 14 colors are.

I have the palette that I showed previously but I also have two 6″x6″ ceramic tiles that I use for extra mixing space on my desk.

So much more room on my desk now that my large monitors have been put away.

Marshall

Marshall, this is the Beginner Palette that we offer our Students where I teach at the Cultural Centre. I also make up a similar palette for my Classes here in my Studio.

My Studio Palettes have Azo Yellow PY151 instead of Hansa; I do not put Prussian Blue on them even though it’s good for mixing darks; I also encourage them to use Phthalo Green PG7 rather than the Viridian.

I have begun including Azo Orange PO62 from M. Graham on my Studio palettes, also.

I hope this helps. :)

Char --

CharMing Art -- "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art." Leonardo DaVinci

Marshall

Thanks Char.

I hAVE all of those colors if I include my Cotmans. Most of them I have in M Graham and I’m building out the Daniel Smith palette.

I like the MG in my little studio but I’m not sure of it in the filed or when traveling.

Marshall

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.