Home Forums Explore Media Acrylics The Information Kiosk Master Acrylic Painters’ Studies – February 2009 – William Bouguereau (2 selections)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 297 total)
  • Author

[FONT=Verdana]Master Acrylic Painters’ Studies – February 2009 –[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana][FONT=&quot]Adolphe William Bouguereau‘s [/FONT][/FONT] [FONT=Verdana]Cupid and Psyche as Children OR [/FONT] [FONT=Verdana]The Little Knitter[/FONT]

With this project, we aim

~To interpret the whole, or part, of a painting by one of the ‘Masters’ and to learn something of the life and times of the chosen painter.

~To increase our technical knowledge of the possibilities (and difficulties) of acrylic paints and learn how to achieve a particular effect from the chosen painting, but interpreted through acrylics

~To share knowledge gained with other members in the forum.

Project Goals:
    One master’s work is given below for us to study, and we’ll paint that specific painting, or part of it.
    Choosing one painting from any given master will allow us to pick that master again in subsequent months if we so deem, without having too much repetition; or eliminating one artist because we’ve used Him/Her already.

The painting must be in Acrylics… on a support of your choice, in a size of your choice. Obviously, we’re using a different medium from the ‘Master’ (for the most part), and that’s part of the fun, or difficulty.

For the benefit of the community, please post something about Bouguereau that you found during your study of his work. e.g.

~Information about Bouguereau we didn’t know,
    or
    ~information about the painting we’re studying,
    or
    ~how you felt when you saw the original (or the reference!), etc…
    and
    ~How you now feel about the Master’s work, having studied it a little!
    This will increase our level of knowledge and appreciation of the studied artist.

The study will run for one month, after which another artist and reference painting will be chosen.

Thank you and I hope you enjoy our study!

February 2009:
    Our master this month is one of my favorites. He’s got a way with portraiture, expression, realism, that was unrivaled (well, maybe Rembrandt, he was pretty good! [FONT=Wingdings]J[/FONT]).

I’ve seen one of his pieces at the Art Institute of Chicago and it was a VERY memorable piece. It invoked a feeling (mostly that I’m just not that good! HA!!) that the person he painted was real…was human and had deep emotions. These are things that are very hard to convey in a painting, and even harder to convey in an Acrylic painting.

Thus the challenge goes this month! Have fun painting!

Pick one or the other, or a crop of one, anything you want within these two paintings is good!
    One note of interest in my research that I just didn’t know: he was hated during the last portions of his life, which was SO very sad. Here is a quote from a New York Times article (and the link) that I found profoundly terrible!

his name was always a joke to the avant-garde. Degas and his friends used the term ”bouguerated” to derogate a finicky, overly finished painting surface, and van Gogh put him down as a well-paid maker of ”soft, pretty things.” And by the end of World War I, their vanguard scorn was vindicated by public taste. Bouguereau’s paintings, along with those of such academic contemporaries as Gerome, Cabanel and Alma-Tadema, faded away to the basements of museums.”
    Source From the New York Times: http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9406E4D81F38F935A35752C0A963948260

Cupid and Psyche as Children
    High Resolution Image: http://www.artrenewal.org/asp/database/image.asp?id=21&hires=1

The Little Knitter
    [FONT=&quot]High Resolution Image: http://www.artrenewal.org/asp/database/image.asp?id=1410&hires=1[/FONT]

Ozone

Aha, Bouguereau! A time to set aside other things and paint. I will join you if I may. But not today: I’m ready for some football.

Ozone

Old_hobbyest

Yeah! Bouguereau! One of my absolute favorites!

One of the last great academic painters of the 19th century! Couldn’t do drapery like Alma-Tadema, but boy could he do cherubs! Lots and lots of cherubs! The real challenge here will be to execute the flesh tones of the little children! And do not ignore 1) proportionalities of children, and 2) the detail in hands and feet.

In a time when nudity in paintings was frowned upon, he, like many of his colleagues, chose historical themes, thereby bypassing juried criticisms. According to Wikipedia, 826 paintings and probably not a landscape or still life in the bunch!

Jim

*dee*

Oooo….I think this might be waaaay out of my league!

I might (emphasis on “might”) give a try on a crop. I will guarantee I’ll be checking in regualrly…and do some googling.

Godzoned

ooh a nice hard challenge!
                    First of all which to choose!!!

couturej

Well gave a try with the Golden Opens. I can’t say that I’m liking the Golden Opens… they’re very sticky. 8X10 on canvas. Sorry not a very good rendition.

Godzoned

Janet – you have caught the fabric highlights and darks well.
                            good try.

I’m still trying to fingure out which I want to do.

rmc

oh-my-goodness-this-is-sooooo-tempting
                                -love-the-little-knitter!!!!

Ozone-looking-forward-to-how-well-you-handle-this
                                have-you-taken-up-football?

Ruth
                                "One of life's most fulfilling moments occurs ... when the familiar is suddenly transformed into the dazzling aura of the profoundly new.... the only difference is our perspective, ... to see patterns where only shadows appeared a moment ago" Edward B. Lindaman
                                -
                                http://www.flickr.com/photos/ruthmchristie/

couturej

Thank you Godzoned!

Ozone

Hi Ruth, sure good to see you again. This is a new project thread and it would be great for you to join us. I am planning on doing a very tight crop of the other painting – just the heads. I am forced to go that way because I never paint larger than 11×14.

The idea is to give up your techniques in exchange for that of the artist. My methods are so fixed, giving up my blue and white under-painting, ugh! But I will try.

Bouguereau did not use much color in the skin tones. I like color. His skin tones are so gray or maybe they have just faded thru the years. And the images are really soft and fuzzy.

Hawk-eye told Radar, when you speak of Bach, just say “aha Bach.” He would say the same for Bouguereau.

Well golly said Molly, you know there aren’t many who can paint a song the way that you do.:music: So grab a brush, I know you want to.

Football no, but we have this yearly event here in the U.S. called the Super Bowl. :lol:

Janet, has posted already! Wow. She did a great job in part one if the series as well.

Ozone:)

lilbelle

Oh wow, I would love to try the second one also. Just to be able to paint such luminous skin tones would be wonderful! I really hope I have time to try. Great selections Brian!

wdame

I believe I’m in…….

Billy

"[FONT=Verdana]Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm."

Nice work Janet! That was a fast post!!!

Looks like we may have more participation this month! That’s great!

I’ve just finished stretching and sanding my canvas. I’m going to do it in 17X30 on gallery wrap… I’m painting “The Little Knitter”.
                                                It has more potential for my wife wanting to put it on the wall.. she saw the other picture and this was her comment:
                                                “While it’s technically awesome, wow! that guy is really good! I just don’t think I want a bare tallywhacker on my wall…”

LOL Now that’s funny…

Now I could crop it, but I want to reproduce the whole work, so I’m going with the other one.

Good luck everyone! I think this is going to be a VERY difficult challenge.
                                                For those of you who participated last month, thank you again!

-Brian

Linee

I may want to try that little girl. It is so sweet. But, I’m already doing a Different Strokes, also a girl. We’ll see what the month holds. :)

[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Linda - C&C always welcome
                                                    Facebook Flickr Etsy

lilbelle

That was quick Janet, very nice!

I started mine yesterday and had a look at 160 of Bouguereau’s paintings on Refinegallery.com ( Chinese oil painting site) I love his work! I wish I knew his palette for skin tones.
                                                        I primed my canvas a pinky colour but now I’m finding it hard to get back and whites. The paint isn’t sticking well also, I should of sanded it again.
                                                        Here is my beginning. It’s 11x14in.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 297 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.