Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting Oil Painting – Hall of Fame Welcome to What’s On Your Easel……August 2018

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 105 total)
  • Author
    !becca

Welcome to WOYE August 2018…Post your works in progress here so long as they are in oils…everyone is welcome!!!

For a more complete critique post in the main forum!
        __________________ :wave:

Becca “Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.” ........ “Not till we are completely lost or turned around... do we begin to find ourselves.” ........ “All good things are wild and free.” ........ “This world is but a canvas for our imagination.” ...... "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” Henry David Thoreau
        Becca's Fine Art

AnnieA

Trying again on my phone to post my tiny 6×8 color study. I’ll delete it when I get back on my computer is it turns out awful again.

Hmmm…well my second try turned out way too blue, but it’s better than the other tries. The sky is more of a pale lavender color which shows throughout the painting and is complemented by the different patches of yellow. I’m not certain if it makes sense to post a color study, but since this is my umpteenth try, it’ll have to do. I also am posting my third try, which is an attempt to correct to make the sky and road a little more lavender, but that made everything go darker. :( I hope anyone who views this can imagine something with color in the middle between the two images. :lol:

Beyond the photo issues, this is still a work in progress…much
            is still undone. When I’ve got the larger painting I plan to do undercontrol, this color study will be a birthday present for another film festival volunteer.

[FONT=Arial]C&C always welcome ©[/I] [/font]
            [FONT=Palatino]
            “Life is a pure flame and we live by an invisible sun within us.” ― Sir Thomas Browne [/size][/font]

http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/29-Jul-2007/85002-sig-thumbnail_composite_2.jpg]/img]

mtpalms

To me, the second one looks pretty close to the way you described it. Are you going to put a movie title on the marquee?

New link to my latest work.[/url]
                "The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier they dug on hallowed ground
                But the tomb of the unknown artist is nowhere to be found."

AnnieA

To me, the second one looks pretty close to the way you described it. Are you going to put a movie title on the marquee?

Thanks, Marcia. Yes, the sky is just about right in the second, but the whole thing looks dark and drab compared to the actual painting. Yes again, a title is planned for the marquee, although the lettering will be miniscule and perhaps not actually readable. There will be people lined up in front on the sidewalk, and I think I may put a red car – or maybe a taxi – in the left lane (it’s a one way street), just to balance the pull of the marquee. It’s so tiny that it turned out much tighter than I might have liked, and there’s still some detail to perhaps add still, but in the actual painting I think the color is pleasing enough to compensate. The reason I took it so far is that I want to have everything all worked out before I start the final version. I think it helps me loosen up with my brushwork when I feel I’ve got everything else decided, and I had a vision of exactly how I wanted the light to work. And what seems like fussy detail now will look loose and abstracted when it’s at a much larger scale.

:treatise on the painting is now over:

Sorry – I get so intensely involved I could go on forever! :lol: <<

[FONT=Palatino]
                    “Life is a pure flame and we live by an invisible sun within us.” ― Sir Thomas Browne [/size][/font]

http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/29-Jul-2007/85002-sig-thumbnail_composite_2.jpg]/img]

ronsu18

the frame created by your easel looks yellow and very well lit; it might have an effect on lighting &purples. i received excellent photography tutoring (outdoors painting&camera in shadow) but even that fell short with some fierce greens and a phone cam. _red_ frame ate the painting, a feasible result was possible with a seaweed carpet and scene mode “portrait”. there should be the equivalent of a medium grey cloth near at all times.
                        i like the painting, it will be another winner. you have a recognisable style in your cityscapes, makes me want to go for a stroll and gives a little ache that i can’t.

i’m posting to motivate myself.
                        this is a mash-up of sorts, two paintings by Helene Schjerfbeck with a pov from a third. this is about background. they seem impossible to me.
                        initial drawing with the leathal no-no pbr 7 burnt umber plus gamblin sf fluid.
                        the multiple sketchy lines are intentional and will belong to finished painting.

[ATTACH]858689[/ATTACH]

C&C welcome

mtpalms

Annie, I have noticed now and again, that images that look fine on my computer, look odd when I post them through WC’s uploader. 3 things you might try:
                            Resize the image to no more than 800 pixels (11″ at 72 dpi) on the longest side, so the uploader doesn’t have to do it for you.
                            Or
                            Try using the attachment option.
                            Or
                            Use a 3rd party uploader which will give you an external link (ending in .jpg) that you can paste in between
                            (I use postimage.org)
                            I have no idea if any of these optiins will make a dif, but they are worth a try!

mtpalms

Ronsu18, well done on th fore shortening!

ronsu18

mtpalms thanks! looking forward to the next stage in your project, there’s an atmosphere that really grabs the viewer.

covered the canvas, tried to mix a smooth light value next to figure and failed. *palm to forehead*. figure will be light, almost white. letting it dry properly before next scrubbing session.

[ATTACH]858696[/ATTACH]

C&C welcome

JaeBeam

Went on Vacation in Costa Rica. Saw a few awesome sunsets over the ocean, decided to go full Bob Ross.

22×26 oil on MDF

NancyMP

Annie, I don’t think I could get the lettering right if I painted an 8 by 12! The second one looks perfect the way it is, and I would not put anything on the marquis for two reasons: It gives the viewer the opportunity to imagine what the movie is, and you don’t have to do really tiny little letters.

Jae
                                            , both your paintings look nice, and I love the seascape!

Nancy http://nancyparkfineart.com
                                            All human beings are dream beings. Dreaming ties all mankind together. - Jack Kerouac

AnnieA

the frame created by your easel looks yellow and very well lit; it might have an effect on lighting &purples. i received excellent photography tutoring (outdoors painting&camera in shadow) but even that fell short with some fierce greens and a phone cam. _red_ frame ate the painting, a feasible result was possible with a seaweed carpet and scene mode “portrait”. there should be the equivalent of a medium grey cloth near at all times.
                                                i like the painting, it will be another winner. you have a recognisable style in your cityscapes, makes me want to go for a stroll and gives a little ache that i can’t.

i’m posting to motivate myself.
                                                this is a mash-up of sorts, two paintings by Helene Schjerfbeck with a pov from a third. this is about background. they seem impossible to me.
                                                initial drawing with the leathal no-no pbr 7 burnt umber plus gamblin sf fluid.
                                                the multiple sketchy lines are intentional and will belong to finished painting.

[ATTACH]858689[/ATTACH]

Hey, Ronsu, thanks so much for your feedback. You’re probably right about the yellow of my pochade creating problems, but by the point at which I took this, there were already so many efforts done the right way that didn’t turn out that I figured why not. But the medium gray cloth might make a difference and I’ll try that. I can’t tell you how elated your comment about my having a recognizable style made me. Many thanks!

Regarding your piece: I’m impressed by the line quality you can achieve with brush and paint. They look so fluid and graceful. Like Marcia, I like the great job on the foreshortening. I’m not clear on what you were trying to do with the “lighter background,” but everything you’ve got down so far looks like it’s leading in the right direction. I’m looking forward to seeing the progress.

Nancy, thanks! I may put in some lettering with indistinct letters. I agree that they’ll be way too tiny, but don’t think I should leave the marqee empty either. I may see if I can pull this off:

SIFF
                                                Tickets Now on Sale

Jae, wow..that’s some vibrant color you’ve got in your seascape. Lucky you to travel to Costa Rica and this painting must be a fond memory.

[FONT=Palatino]

ronsu18

thank you Annie! once again, backtracking newbie steps; it’s not the line it’s the size!
                                                    the canvas is 60x79cm, drawing is easy. thinking about your letters, the SIFF should be doable, and i got this idea to maybe research photos for those lightboards. letters get obscured by the light in a certain way. the crossing of a “T” might be the most visible, “I” would be a soft, additive color area, “E” would be the clearest letter, the middle part of the “K” visible etc. even with completely obscured parts, those cues might make the text legible. well versed in squirrel’s hair +magnifying glass-method, i would make an attempt but only on a dry area that can be wiped repeatedly, the painting is good as is.

JaeBeam, striking image and a striking mood!

C&C welcome

ronsu18

couldn’t wait, added some shadow and light. the background looks too cold, more ochre probably. a real dry up first. the lines are barely visible but they’ll be back eventually.

[ATTACH]858702[/ATTACH]

C&C welcome

steveo2015

Started this one last night. Oils on canvas. At 15″ x 30″ it’s much larger than what I normally paint.

Delofasht

Steve that’s got some great lines man, looking forward to see it’s progression!

Nearly finished the painting I was showing here last month, but it moved to a fairly high level finish and will require a lot more time to bring it to completion. A client of mine wanted another of her dogs painted so I got started on it yesterday for about 15 minutes:

And today I got a lot more done in an hour:

After I get all the rest of the major elements in place (ears, shadows around the mouth, his neck, and part of his chest) then I will go back and readjust features to narrow the face a bit more. There are splashes of extremely vibrant color that will not remain when I am done, but for now it is helpful for not getting too muted to start.

- Delo Delofasht
                                                              Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 105 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.