Home Forums Explore Media Fiber Arts Stitch in Time February 2018

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Debby

January is gone. The shortest month is here. Hello February.

Had a crazy back and forth conversation with a customer. Crazy in a good way. The customer has ordered 3 dragons and a custom pocket dragon over the last couple of days. I’m back to sewing up dragons. :)

Unfortunately, me and the dentist are seeing each other again. :( I thought I was getting that stupid crown fixed. The dentist has just been gluing it back into place. The last time, it didn’t even last a week before it came off again. I told him to either fix the tooth so it held a crown properly or pull what was left of the tooth and get me a bridge or something. So, I spent almost 3 hours in the chair with my mouth open only to have the crown, when installed be “not right”. :rolleyes: I didn’t stick around for another hour while they drilled off the crown and made a new one. I’ll have to make another appointment for that. *sigh* I asked my mother why I ended up with such rotten teeth. She claims she gave me fluoride as a child. However, dad had full dentures when less than 30. I probably ended up with his bad teeth.

Debby
        Guide - Fiber Art Forum

Lena

Well I finished the stockings. No pictures yet, they have to be washed to shrink and set the patterns.

I started working on the bouquet for the wedding. The first “plant” is sage. Here is the first leaf. It was an experiment, the rest are like the top of the leaf. It took me a while to figure out the increases without holes.

There are now 3 1/2 leaves. They will be wired up.

They have found a new apartment – NOT in a basement, and are moving on the 10th so all wedding stuff is on hold until then.

Doll Art by Lena

Debby

Lena, the bouquet will be so lovely and it won’t fade away. Glad the kids found a new apartment. Wedding planning can wait a couple of weeks while they move.

Finished the custom dragon. The customer loves it. I’m shipping it out today. Now to re-make the other three she ordered. Oh, and here’s a picture of the little one. The dragon is an inch and a half (4cm) nose to tail. It was a challenge to create such tiny ears. I really don’t want to do that on a regular basis. The pocket dragons will stay ear-less.

Debby
                Guide - Fiber Art Forum

EvaJ

I”M BACK……..
                    I skipped January and don’t want to have another one of those again. The state of Arizona revoked my drivers license and so it was run to eye doctors to see what we can do to get it back. First was the regular doctor and that didn’t work, then it was a speciaist and that was a 4 hour appointment and I learned a lot about macular degeneration but he was in Nevada and could not sign my paperwork and he said go back to the regular eye doctor so back we went there. He finally got the paperwork done and I got my license renewed for another year. That just was done 3 days ago so I am now back driving and not having to wait on Pat. He was working extra hours so it was very hard. One of the weekends, Jarrod was here so he and I went shopping As a long haul trucker he gets around this way about every two months.

Pat got that awful flu this past week and has missed two days of work but he said he was going to go to work tonight. He looks terrible but they are short people as there is a hiring freeze so he has to go in. He spent the $100 and got the flu meds so I hope that it does shorten the 3 or more weeks they say this flu lasts.

I found a new primary doctor again. A lady who is only 40 years old. Doctors are getting younger for me :) She seems really nice and I won’t know how every thing is working with the meds I take now until I get the annual blood work done. I go back on March 5 so it wil be a bit.

I hope to get back to some sewing this month or maybe even get some stuff sold. Right now the house looks like a hoarders house with boxes sitting around. Some packed and ready for the shed and some waiting for me to decide what I want to pack away.

Lena, like the leaves you are working on. Looks like this is going to be quite the project.

Debbie, hope you get the dental work fixed and the crown holds this time. I have been there with crowns that wouldn’t stick. Now I have full dentures and they don’t fit right. Always one thing or the other.

Eva :heart:

Lena

More leaves

I am trying to keep her mood up as she packs and scrambles to get to “safety”

It snowed here again. Last weekend we had 25cm of snow. This weekend probably about 15cm or more – up to the dogs belly anyway. She was not happy going for a walk this morning. She sort of stomped behind me in my footsteps. It is also very cold, -25c with a windchill of -30c yesterday. It was nasty walking against the wind with the snow hitting your face like little ice splinters. Of course my oldest daughter in Yellowknife is saying “It is warm today, only -25c, My pipes weren’t frozen this morning”

The big problem is that our “snowboy” has hurt his back so I don’t know if he is coming to do the snow or we should get one of the local guys to do it.

Doll Art by Lena

Lena

Our young neighbour is doing the sidewalks for us.

He is running RUNNING! behind the big scoop…..:eek:

Doll Art by Lena

Debby

Eva, so glad you are back. Missed you. Glad to hear you got your driver’s license back and can take your short trips to the store. Looking forward to seeing some more of you darling doll clothes.

Lena, those leaves look great. We are positively balmy compared to you. We aren’t having snow but are deluged with rain and wind. Don’t know what happened to our winter. Maybe it joined yours. Must be great to be young and running in the snow. :lol:

Spent yesterday cleaning our back room. It’s a very small room that I suspect was once a porch, but got closed in and added to the house long before we bought it. That’s where the washer, dryer, and chest freezer are located along with some shelves. We use it to store canned and dried goods. It was a disaster of stuff. DH suggested we clean it and see how much room we really have back there if we get rid of things that either don’t belong there or we don’t need. Still have piles, but they are designated as charity donations, out to the porch closet, off to the dump. Now to get DH to follow thru with the piles. :rolleyes:

Got all the dragons mailed off including the custom pocket. That is a load off my mind. Plan on re-making dragons this week unless I get distracted by dolls. :lol:

Debby
                                Guide - Fiber Art Forum

Lena

I have done Ginkgo leaves

Doll Art by Lena

Debby

Lena, those leaves look great! How are the kids doing with their move?

I decided to work on some doll clothes for a little doll I made last year. She was still without. Got the panties made after 3 tries and resorting to doing them by hand. The sewing machine was not cooperating. I thought it was because of the knit and fold over elastic both being stretchy. Then, I pulled out some handkerchief weight linen to make a skirt and halter top. I was binding the edges with bias tape. Straight forward sewing with woven fabrics. Sewing machine was still giving me fits. I changed the needle, the thread, blew out the lint and adjusted the top tension, (can’t adjust the bottom tension – stupid computer driven machines!) Every time, the bottom thread was in loose loops. :( I took it in to be serviced and am anxiously awaiting it’s return.

In the meantime, I sold a Valentine unicorn and 2 more custom pocket dragons. So, I’ve got plenty to keep me busy with replacement plus the custom work.

Debby
                                        Guide - Fiber Art Forum

Lena

The “kids” made their move yesterday. Everything is in the 2nd floor apartment. My daughter is over the moon happy because it has a brand new full size stove (plastic still on it). They had the bedroom set up when they skyped me, the rest of the place was still all boxes.

I started wiring up some of the leaves I had done. The first branch didn’t work to well. The wire was too thin. So I took it apart this morning.

Doll Art by Lena

Lena

Some of the leaves wired.

Doll Art by Lena

Debby

Lena, so happy to hear the kids are settling into their new place. Moving is so stressful. The wired leaves look great.

Got the commission finished. I hate sewing ears on the pocket dragons. Still waiting on my sewing machine. Off to re-make the sold critters.

Debby
                                                    Guide - Fiber Art Forum

Lena

Some more leaves finished!

I have 2 more branches to make, another dark green (basil) and another tansy.
                                                        Thease are tansy and curly kale

Then I can start the flowers.

Apparently I don’t have to make boutonnieres or corsages. The grooms men will have power rangers and and the bridesmaids will have Sailor scouts….

Doll Art by Lena

Debby

Lena, your kids are delightfully weird. I love this.

Got my sewing machine back today. Actually just about 10 minutes ago. I need to plug it in and see if the bobbin thread is behaving itself now. It should, I paid enough.

Debby
                                                            Guide - Fiber Art Forum

Lena

I started the flowers last night. The first one turned out too big. It was supposed to be a wood violet but it turned out to be 2 inches across. I will have to rethink some of them.

I started a separate thread for the bouquet so all the pictures and things will be together.

Good luck with the sewing machine!

Doll Art by Lena

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.