WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Think Tank > Creativity
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-14-2017, 09:07 PM

Running In Circles

I have this problem which is difficult to explain but I'm gonna try anyway. Basically I don't get artists block but I get more of a queasy/anxiety feeling whenever I have to paint or draw something. It goes away most of the time after I start but it's so bad that I don't usually start.

Then, if the piece turns out well, I feel good for about 5 minutes, put it away and get really depressed and lethargic for a long while.

So basically I have some severe mental problems and would like some magical fairy to say a few words and cure me.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-15-2017, 03:07 AM
A Local Legend
Pembrokeshire. West Wales UK

Hails from Wales
Re: Running In Circles

Go down quietly into the woods and paint and if you are lucky the fairies will find you and look over your shoulder whispering encouragement in your ear while you paint.
Try to ignore the goblins they will play tricks on you.

Dave.
“What peaches and what penumbras! Whole families shopping at night! Aisles full of husbands! Wives in the avocados, babies in the tomatoes!—and you, Garcia Lorca, what were you doing down by the watermelons?”
— Allen Ginsberg
Are you ready for a Journey?
PS Critiques always welcome but no plaudits or emoting please.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-15-2017, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Journeyman
Go down quietly into the woods and paint and if you are lucky the fairies will find you and look over your shoulder whispering encouragement in your ear while you paint.
Try to ignore the goblins they will play tricks on you.

Dave.

Thanks Dave, I actually did go out into the woods after writing that. Didn't bring art supplies though...
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-16-2017, 02:38 AM
A WC! Legend
Alberta, where coyotes look both ways before crossing the highway

Hails from Canada

too much pressure
many artists do this - expect perfection every time
stop that.

consider gesture drawing - big paper stuck to a big wall - big strokes (charcoal works well for this) - loosen up, be free with it, there is no wrong way to gesture - straight or curve, short or long, jagged or spiky or dotty or streaky - close your eyes and simply gesture.

stand back and imagine things within the gesture drawing, find things and enjoy the process of looking, seeing little glimmers of potential realities within it.
add another color [charcoal or crayon or chalk or pen or marker]
or not

do it again

save them or don't ... paint on them or don't - they are but a freeing agent to rid you of the tightness that grips, or the fears that stall, or the pre-convieved un-forgiveness we sometimes inflict on ourselves as artists.

do it again

la
Latin, German, Serbian, Bengali, Icelandic, Brazilian, Italian, Filipino, Swedish, Romanian, Lithuanian, Hindi/Urdu, Hungarian, Latvian, Hebrew, Arabic, Chinese, Russian, French,Greek
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-16-2017, 03:08 AM
U.S.

Hails from United States

My goodness I know EXACTLY what you mean & as la said imo it comes from expecting perfection every time sometimes the beauty in art can be found in the IMPERFECTIONS but like la said just stay loose & just know it's OK for every painting not to be perfect.. I know what you mean though especially when I'm struggling through a painting I just want to rip it to shreds & cry BUT I don't do that I take a deep breath & let it go.. walk away from it for a while & come back to it with a fresh perspective.. you are not alone in feeling this way & you will do just fine my friend.. best of luck to you !
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-19-2017, 03:32 PM

I don't care one bit about perfection. Most of my art looks like those serial killer wall scribbles that you may have seen on tv. My entire art style is heavy on gesture and I even practice gesture drawings daily.

I do, however, put alot of pressure on myself because if I didn't, who would? If anything I need more pressure to draw and less pressure in other aspects of my life.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-02-2017, 04:24 PM

Hails from Wales

I'm so glad I checked in on this area. I thought I was the only one to feel that I don't want to start a painting, or "what's the point". When I'm painting, I really enjoy moving the paint about, and time goes so quickly. I just wish I had that excitement before every session, it would make me feel that I was meant to paint. If that makes any sense!!
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-03-2017, 06:46 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from Brazil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensei_Shun
I have this problem which is difficult to explain but I'm gonna try anyway. Basically I don't get artists block but I get more of a queasy/anxiety feeling whenever I have to paint or draw something. It goes away most of the time after I start but it's so bad that I don't usually start.

Then, if the piece turns out well, I feel good for about 5 minutes, put it away and get really depressed and lethargic for a long while.

So basically I have some severe mental problems and would like some magical fairy to say a few words and cure me.

High anxiety followed by depression can be a clinical disorder. I would check with a psychologist for a talk so you can find if that is something with an origin outside your art life.
"no no! You are doing it all wrong, in the internet we are supposed to be stubborn, inflexible and arrogant. One cannot simply be suddenly reasonable and reflexive in the internet, that breaks years of internet tradition as a medium of anger, arrogance, bigotry and self entitlement. Damm these internet newcomers being nice to to others!!!"

"If brute force does not solve your problem, then you are not using enough!"
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-27-2017, 10:09 AM
Enthusiast
Jacksonville, Florida

Go out into the wood at night and paint by moon light or an artificial source of light that you bring and see if the anxiety shifts from the painting as you become more concerned about the unknown conditions of being in the woods at night.

If you still suffer the same feeling then like tiago.dagostini stated there is more going on inside you that might require a professional to give you a look see…
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-14-2017, 09:30 AM
Lord of the Arts
New Mexico

Hails from United States

There are probably factors that you are unaware of at this time. I think by really parsing out your process, maybe you will find those missing factors.

I know with me:
1) I am never satisfied, which is why I have a massive picture book library, where I can compare my work to other artists, and think, if they considered their work done at that point, maybe I should too. The instincts that artists have about "how much" work is needed, when to stop and so on, is very deeply internalized, and different for everyone.
2) I also do not feel especially good or bad about a piece. It is not necessary unless you do art to make yourself feel good. I like to show my work to friends of family members and vicariously (like a vampire) recharge my ego on their awe, but most of them think it art is some form of witch-craft, that no mortal can do without special dispensation from the gods.
3) I also have special superstitions and rules revolving around art. If I cannot work at least a full 4 hours, I won't work on something. I have to clear the callender, and have a large window for art. I have learned from past experience that I need to have this time.

Any way those are 3 of my "problems." Maybe it will help you.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-16-2017, 07:27 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

Hi Sensei_Shun, I don't know if anything I'm going to say is going to make any sense at all to you but here goes.😊
First I wanted to ask if this is the only area of your life you get these feelings in? If you experience them in other areas of your life then I would say it is something you might want to talk to your Dr. About. Lots of people have anxiety. My sister had it so bad so she drove us all crazy for years and refused to accept that she had a problem. Finally after 25 years of nagging her she talked to her Dr., went on Prozac and is fine now.

The other thing is that if the answer to question one is no and you only experience these feelings in this particular situation then you might want to ponder the thought that what you describe is artist block. This might be your personal way of feeling artist block.

The only thing I can suggest is that we cannot live this life based on how we feel. Feelings are many times very untrustworthy. Whatever the reason you feel this way before you undertake your art is secondary to what you do. Feelings are neither good or bad they are just feelings and they can be dissipated if you just let them flow thru you.

So the suggestion I'm going to make is to not let your feelings stop you, just forge ahead regardless of them and maybe (if this feeling is not caused by something that needs to be addressed by a Dr.) as time goes by you will feel this way less and less.

Art is such a wonderful outlet so I hope you will find your way!🙋🏻
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-17-2017, 08:14 PM
Moscow

Hails from Russian Federation

As some people above have already asked - do you have this feeling only when you try to paint? I've been to similar situation, psychology can help. I will try to say what I learned with few words.

If you have this feeling not only painting - then may be you have some problems in life or unfinished business and your brain always concentrating on them, disturbing you from painting. You just can't calm down yourself until those factors are not being removed.

If you have this feeling only when you paint - then the reason could be as also said above in some kind expecting of perfection. Hmmm, I'd say not the perfection, but some certain result. You start to paint every session or may be when you had started to paint in general you had some expectations that did not come true to life. It was some negative result and you feel anxiety, you expect that every time the result will not be as you expected.
Plus you say that you have to pressure yourself to paint. Our mind gives a very low energy to the actions that we HAVE to do, and a lot of energy for things we do really want to do, when we have desire.
In this case try to set some aims for every session. Some small waystones. Achieveing them will be a small victories and your brain will give a command for dopamine, etc. that play a great role in positive emotions. May be try to copy some painting, start from something easy. And try not to pressure yourself. Try to find some true motivation and desire.
May be the problem is somewhere else of course.
Good luck!
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-18-2017, 06:12 AM
Veteran Member
Wickenburg, Arizona

If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced. Vincent van Gogh

We've all got that voice.

Thank-you for starting this topic. I think you've been given great advice, and I'm going to try to take some of it myself.

Which would be the bigger waste:
your art supplies, or your creative soul?