WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Studio Tips and Framing
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-16-2017, 04:47 PM
Enthusiast
Florissant, MO

Hails from United States
Tempered Glass Palettes

I've been using glass from cheap picture frames as a palette for oil and acrylic paint, and ya'll probably know what happens - they break during cleaning or moving or just being stored to close to something heavy. So, I started looking for tempered glass product to replace the flimsy glass palettes.

Loads of tempered glass cutting boards out there, and some even look pretty good to use as a paint palette. However, the prices can be -daunting - so I've put off buying one. Until last week.

I found a source for tempered glass sheets, some as small as 10" x 10" at what I think is more than a reasonable price (under $2.00 for the 10 x 10), affordable shipping costs, and outstanding customer service.

So, if you're interested, here's the link: https://www.storesupply.com/c-1123-t...ss-panels.aspx
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-16-2017, 06:04 PM
Veteran Member

Re: Tempered Glass Palettes

Thanks for the tip. I saved it in my favs.

Unfortunately the shipping is pretty high if you only buy one or two. $15 to ship two pieces of glass. If you could get together with some friends you can get 12 of them shipped for $16.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-17-2017, 12:25 PM
Enthusiast
Florissant, MO

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by contumacious
Thanks for the tip. I saved it in my favs.

Unfortunately the shipping is pretty high if you only buy one or two. $15 to ship two pieces of glass. If you could get together with some friends you can get 12 of them shipped for $16.

Shipping costs are the bane of any business that ships product. Customers tend to not order if they think the cost is not fair. Good idea, though, getting a hui together for saving on a larger quantity.

Considering the weight of one 12" X 12" sheet is about 2 1/2 pounds, is fragile, and is an odd shape, even $15.00 isn't outrageous for even one. Actually puts it in the price range of many online retailers without the shipping.

The first one I ordered arrived in a 14" X 14" X 14" box stuffed full of cushioning material with glass in the center. Shipping for me was only $4.50 because the business is about 6 miles from my home, something I didn't notice until I checked the return address on the box. It was delivered by a local deliver service, so, despite paying more than double the retail price, it was still way less than running out to Walmart for a tempered glass cutting board. Next time I'll just drive over there.

Now I need a larger Masterson sta-wet box or equivalent.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-18-2017, 01:37 PM
A WC! Legend
NorthWest NJ.

Hails from United States

Mike: I get beautiful white gloss glazed tiles free from local tile stores, or you can pay for them at the depot or lowes in singles....cheap.
I have a huge white 24 by 24 and a 12x12. Cleans off better than glass.
I've seen them in gray as well. You have to get the really smooth glossy ones.
Good luck.
Derek
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-18-2017, 11:35 PM

I salvaged the lens from a large out door flood light fixture. It's 1/4 inch thick and 16 inches in diameter. I use it for my oil palette.

I also salvaged the glass from the oven door when replacing my range. It's heat proof glass 1/8 inch thick and about 24 by 16 inches.

I'm looking around now for a smaller piece for my acrylic palette.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-19-2017, 06:04 AM
Enthusiast
Seacoast New Hampshire

Hails from United States

Not sure if there's a Habitat For Humanity Restore near you but here in NH they are an invaluable source for all kinds of neat stuff you could use. Tiles galore, big small. Worth a visit even if just for ideas. All types of contractor "leftovers" and items salvaged from renovation jobs. Google it and see.

Tim
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-19-2017, 03:49 PM
A WC! Legend
NorthWest NJ.

Hails from United States

Tim: Love habitat restore. I've got so many things in my studio from them and I also donate a painting once a year for their auctions.
A terrific cause.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-20-2017, 09:53 AM
Enthusiast
Florissant, MO

Hails from United States

Wow. Here I thought I saved a bunch of money only to find out there are resources even better. Don't know whether to be or

There are a number of Goodwill stores and outlets here in and near St Louis, but I didn't know about Habitat's stores. Turns out there's a real active HFH here and there's a store not far from the St Louis Art Museum (SLAM). Think I'll check out the store next week when I go to my weekly painting meetup at a small local art gallery.

Time to go sweat and wait for new blower motor for air conditioning.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-21-2017, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcam
Mike: I get beautiful white gloss glazed tiles free from local tile stores, or you can pay for them at the depot or lowes in singles....cheap.
I have a huge white 24 by 24 and a 12x12. Cleans off better than glass.
I've seen them in gray as well. You have to get the really smooth glossy ones.
Good luck.
Derek
Thanks for the idea. My taboret is 12" x48" - and H>D. and lowes did't have any 12" wide glossy so i went with six 6"x6" tiles. I'll see how it works out - it might even have an advantage over one large one.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-22-2017, 09:22 AM
A WC! Legend
NorthWest NJ.

Hails from United States

Good luck Bong.
When I went to the tile store locally I said I was an artist and asked if I could buy a 12x12 white glossy tile. The owner said "oh I have lots of extras in the back". I got a white 12x12 and a lovely gray one.....free.
I went back the following year and got another 24x24....free. Just offer to pay and with a big smile you may get a freebee.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2017, 08:17 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

I use glass cutting boards, they are brilliant. I work in acrylic so I just dump them in a small bowl of water when finished and peel off the skins.

laf-art.com | Prints | FB
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-22-2017, 05:52 AM
Veteran Member
Central Pennsylvania

Hails from United States

Glass trays from microwaves work well, just spray paint the back before you use them. They have a small raised edge to them which is nice.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-20-2017, 10:24 AM
Lord of the Arts

I use porcelain enamel butcher trays. I got these at an auction where a local restaurant was undergoing refurb-ing. A couple are small - 5 x 7 - and a couple are 11 x 15. Pennies on a buck because the rim porcelain was chipped. They fit into sealable plastic bags. Like these because the high sides keep the paint from touching the bags.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-06-2017, 01:49 AM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States

I bought a 16x20 tempered glass cutting board similar to this one. It has rubber bumpers on the corners that keep it from slipping around on the slick surface of my desk and it fits in a Masterson box! I liked it so much I've bought other sizes. It was incredibly inexpensive (less than $10) because I bought it at ROSS, a discount clothing and housewares store chain on the westcoast.

I checked Amazon, but the ones they have now are mostly more expensive and smaller. To buy a similar product from an art supply store will cost upwards of $35, so it might be worth checking around at any similar stores in your area.

Somewhere within all of us there is a wordless center, a part of us...that has remained unchanged since we were children. It is the source of our strength and compassion. That faint confluence of the tangible and the spiritual is where Art comes from.
~Richard Schmid

Last edited by AnnieA : 07-06-2017 at 01:52 AM.