WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Artwork from Life
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#61   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-26-2017, 10:43 AM
Lord of the Arts
Punta Gorda Florida

Hails from United States
Re: Scavenger Hunt #493: Apr 18-26, 2017

Good memory. That was my Christmas card last year. A pair of cardinals.

Joe
  #62   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-26-2017, 07:12 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

Bronze Membership
Hails from United States

I found it! So beautiful Joe! Love the scene, love the saturated red, LOVE IT!!!

It seems new to me. My brain really is a sieve

Did you maybe do another red-type bird, maybe longer ago? When I get more data plan back, I'll go searching, but I can't for a few weeks. Realistically, I'm probably conflating memories. There's so much to enjoy on Wet Canvas... This is an endless sea of creations and beauty!
  #63   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-27-2017, 03:35 AM

Bronze Membership
Hails from United States

Brian and all - Just taking a moment to thank you for your patience with my Cassini off-topic stuff. As of a few moments ago, she started sending back info. She seems fine. If anyone wants to see the brand new, shiny article (Firefly joke) here's a link:

https://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/news/303...and-its-rings/

That's it for me, and especially regarding space on WC! I can see so well that I don't belong on WC since returning last fall, especially as I no longer have any desire to post any artwork, or even create any. Those five years took a toll, and I think I need to redirect my energy to helping animals as I always have, my whole life.

Never say never, but for the moment, I will be saying goodbye.

And thank you all for being such a kind and forgiving part of my life. Luv y'all.
  #64   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-27-2017, 04:05 AM
A Local Legend
Pretoria

Hails from South Africa

Pine Cone: Thanks for the update. From the article I can't work out whether Cassini took any pictures or just collected non-visual science data. I'm hoping for pictures, which aught to be both spectacular and kind of scary.

And we're all hoping you'll find inspiration to draw and paint again. :-)
  #65   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-27-2017, 05:00 PM
A Local Legend
Bastrop, Texas

Hails from United States

Pine Cone, we will miss you... I hope you find inspiration to use your art talent. Many hugs and think of you with fondness. Cariño in Spanish, a good word.
Winston Churchill
  #66   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-28-2017, 11:21 PM

Bronze Membership
Hails from United States

JoC - Thanks so much for your kind words. You and yours will never be far from my thoughts. In fact, when I came back last fall, one reason was to make sure you were still okay. That fire awhile back, that was an awful moment, realizing what you were going through, knowing it could have been even worse. I care about you as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianvds
Pine Cone: Thanks for the update. From the article I can't work out whether Cassini took any pictures or just collected non-visual science data. I'm hoping for pictures, which aught to be both spectacular and kind of scary.

And we're all hoping you'll find inspiration to draw and paint again. :-)

Brian - Thanks for your kind thoughts.

Funny what you said about the pics - yeah Cassini has sent some back, including some almost immediately after reestablishing contact. And yeah, the raw images certainly aren't what we're used to seeing after processing

Here's a link to an Astronomy Now Magazine article. It only has one of the new raw images (not counting the artist's illustration further down in the article), but there are other early-return pics out there - you can search for them if you haven't already found them.

Anyway:

https://astronomynow.com/2017/04/27/...saturns-rings/

Also, you may already know this, but it is artistic-related, so I'll post it anyway. Although not about Saturn or Cassini, this is an article about image processing. If I remember right, it discusses the Hubble Palette and the CFHT Palette, two of the most common palettes for processing astrophotography. (CFHT stands for the Canada-France-Hawaii Telescope.) It also discusses other palettes.

http://www.almadenobservatory.net/Color_Imagery.html

I know with Saturn, they often render images in visible light colors (astonishing beauty that defies description). But they also often use processing that produces various sets of false colors to help discover things about the composition and attributes of Saturn. These are gorgeous and artistic images as well. I love all of them.

Last but not least, a fun fact, which you may already know: Earth is heavy, Saturn is light. If you could find an aquarium big enough to put the Earth and Saturn in, the Earth would sink to the bottom. Saturn would float on top.

In fact, Saturn would float on a pile of ashes, if you could find a pile big enough

At least that's what I read! I think that was in Astronomy Magazine.

Last edited by Pine Cone : 04-28-2017 at 11:25 PM.
  #67   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2017, 01:16 AM
A Local Legend
Pretoria

Hails from South Africa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine Cone
Funny what you said about the pics - yeah Cassini has sent some back, including some almost immediately after reestablishing contact. And yeah, the raw images certainly aren't what we're used to seeing after processing

Going to be quite spectacular once they have processed them... :-)

Quote:
Last but not least, a fun fact, which you may already know: Earth is heavy, Saturn is light. If you could find an aquarium big enough to put the Earth and Saturn in, the Earth would sink to the bottom. Saturn would float on top.

Yup, Saturn's average density is less than that of water. But you'd need a pretty big ocean to float it in. :-)
  #68   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2017, 04:14 AM
A Local Legend
Bangkok, Thailand

Hails from Thailand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine Cone

That's it for me, and especially regarding space on WC! I can see so well that I don't belong on WC since returning last fall, especially as I no longer have any desire to post any artwork, or even create any. Those five years took a toll, and I think I need to redirect my energy to helping animals as I always have, my whole life.

Never say never, but for the moment, I will be saying goodbye.

And thank you all for being such a kind and forgiving part of my life. Luv y'all.

Hi PineCone,

I hope you will one day find your art vibe and your reason to create and share again. For me... sharing art used to be a part of my own little ego...recently it has been for the proof of my existence and for the joy of learning. In recent, I also learn of a concept of minimalism... the promotion of enjoy doing things rather than collecting things. I work down my live's value item list... and I found doing art is on top of my priority that is a true core of me. Last year, I learn of many passing of many people around me at such younger age than me: my students, my piano teacher, my neighbor, my friends (including our Hunt late friend Elizabeth or Kivrin65). I found that I cannot assume that I will have many more years ahead to enjoy doing art... so I might do it now while I can... I hope you find a way back to art and we all reconnect here again at WC... Starting a journal book about your animal caring, might be a great cause.

Good luck with your next endeavor.

Best,

Painting is my soul. My blog.
  #69   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2017, 01:53 PM

Bronze Membership
Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianvds
Going to be quite spectacular once they have processed them... :-)
Happy dances
  #70   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2017, 02:08 PM

Bronze Membership
Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eye
Hi PineCone,

I hope you will one day find your art vibe and your reason to create and share again. For me... sharing art used to be a part of my own little ego...recently it has been for the proof of my existence and for the joy of learning. In recent, I also learn of a concept of minimalism... the promotion of enjoy doing things rather than collecting things. I work down my live's value item list... and I found doing art is on top of my priority that is a true core of me. Last year, I learn of many passing of many people around me at such younger age than me: my students, my piano teacher, my neighbor, my friends (including our Hunt late friend Elizabeth or Kivrin65). I found that I cannot assume that I will have many more years ahead to enjoy doing art... so I might do it now while I can... I hope you find a way back to art and we all reconnect here again at WC... Starting a journal book about your animal caring, might be a great cause.

Good luck with your next endeavor.

Best,

Hi Ai,

I'm so sorry for your many losses these last months

Thank you so much for sharing your experiences and thoughts with me. What you said really touched my heart, and you've given me a lot to think about. And you've given me hope.

Maybe the reason I love the way you sometimes photograph your artwork, in the scene, and with you there, is because it gathers us together with you and your artwork, and we can feel that special connection you have with your art, your love.

Thank you for creating so much meaningful work and sharing it with the world, showing us beauty and meaning

Pine
  #71   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2017, 05:34 PM

Bronze Membership
Hails from United States

Postscript to Ai:

I wonder if this Vimeo might be meaningful to you as you remember those you loved who have passed out of your sight, but never out of your heart...

https://vimeo.com/34491854

The music and photography are beautiful, especially at the end...
  #72   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2017, 04:48 PM
Lord of the Arts
Green heart of Austria

Hails from Austria

Heya

Just for a short peek in.

View weeks and iḿ back in

Cheers W.P.
  #73   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2017, 08:32 PM

Bronze Membership
Hails from United States

W.P.! - Been wondering where you've been. I sure have missed your sketches! I hope you can join in again? There's still plenty of time to go with the hunt here:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show....php?t=1426449

But if you miss that one, there'll be another starting on Thursday. They're almost up to the 500th hunt!!! Can you believe it?

It isn't the same without you, so I hope you can find time to do a little sketching!!!