WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Colored Pencil
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-20-2017, 11:59 PM

Bacon!

Okay, I've gathered up all my courage, and am posting a picture I did of our boxer, Bacon. It's my favourite pic of him, but unfortunately I goofed on his eyes because in the photograph he's actually looking at the camera and I didn't capture that....can't quite grasp exactly how I could have made it to have him look at you instead of off in the distance.

Another problem I seem to be having is in the area where his mouth covers the stuffed duck. I can't get it to look like he's actually hanging onto it. I'm still very new at this but would very much appreciate comments but please be gentle! This is the first time I've posted, and so far only have had comments from my hubby and my Mom, and I'm pretty sure they're biased, ha!

I've only just started with CP, and have zero background in drawing, and find the concepts of shading to still be pretty murky! But I'm having fun learning! There are so many awesome artists on this board and I would love to get some feedback on how I can improve!

The pic is just with my iPhone, hope it looks okay.

Thanks in advance,
Lynne
Attached Images

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-21-2017, 02:51 PM
PA

Hails from United States
Re: Bacon!

Given the experience level you described, this is fantastic!! Welcome to the forum, and congratulations on gathering your courage to post! To make him look like the duck is actually in his mouth, you need a darker dark, very thin, at the junction of the mouth and the duck. You're almost there. The thing that looks a bit off to me is the very hard line of your ear shadow. If you can, try to soften that hard line a bit. Maybe lift a bit of the color with a kneaded eraser, or poster putty to soften that edge a bit. You are definitely on the right track. If hubby and mom have told you you're doing a good job, believe them.
Save

#3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-21-2017, 04:01 PM
Veteran Member
Newton, Kansas

Hails from United States

LF27,

Yes, a fantastic job for a newbie.

One thing I would suggest is that you trace the area you're having trouble with. A few times of tracing it will teach your hand the right movements and improve your ability see what's there instead of what you think is there.

Then try drawing it freehand again. I think you'll see an improvement.

You might also try drawing it upside down. Turn your reference photo upside down and do the drawing upside down. That will help you see the shapes as they really are, instead of the way your brain expects to see them.

Carrie
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-21-2017, 05:26 PM

Oh wow, excellent advice, thanks so much to both of you!

Elaine, you're right, I see exactly what you mean on the ear...will try to calm it down a little....I bought one of those blu-tak things after reading through some posts in this forum.

Carrie, I am a huge admirer of your work, and appreciate that you took the time to comment. That upside down idea is brilliant, I will give it a go next time....although I'm working on some hydrangeas right now and it doesn't seem to matter what angle I go at it, all those petals are tricky little buggers!

What a fabulous site this is - thanks again!

Enjoy the weekend,
Lynne
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-23-2017, 03:38 PM
British Columbia

Hails from Canada

I think this is a great picture, and look forward to more from you!
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-24-2017, 02:44 AM
Enthusiast
Queensland

Hails from Australia

Wow so glad you got the courage to post this is fab.
Also all very good advice from the others this is why I love this site you dont just get compliments but great advice on how to improve if one asks for it.
Keep up the good work and keep enjoying the love of art....I look forward to see more from you ☺☺
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-24-2017, 10:24 AM

Thanks Yarrow and Brissie! Yes, definitely the advice on this site is wonderful, and I love how you get so many different perspectives on ways to do things...the diversity of the very talented folks on this site is awesome!

I'm still hoping someone might have some thoughts on the direction of the eyes...I must admit that (as Carrie had suggested) I do often trace from the photo to try to help get things where they ought to be, but couldn't really make out exactly where the pupil was....is it as simple as I should have shifted the black part to the right more to get him to look at you? Or maybe that white crescent is the problem? Or is there some other "trick" to where the gaze goes that I'm missing.

I thought maybe the reference photo would help, and I'd appreciate any thoughts of how I could have captured that sidelong look that's so adorable in the original photo.

Thanks!

Take care,
Lynne
Attached Images

#8   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-24-2017, 10:28 AM

Oh boy! Speaking of perspective, seeing the reference pic up on my computer screen as I posted it, I now realize I'm missing a leg!!! Ha! Should I attempt to add in his leg (right under the duck's eye)? It hadn't bothered me before, but now I don't seem to be able to "un-see" that nothing is holding him up! Thanks

Lynne
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-24-2017, 12:29 PM
Veteran Member
Newton, Kansas

Hails from United States

Lynne,

The key to showing which direction a person or animal is looking isn't in knowing where the pupil is. It's the white of the eye.

Take a look at the amount of white showing in Bacon's eyes in the reference photo. Now take a look at the amount of white showing in Bacon's eyes in your drawing.

Unfortunately, unless you have Luminance pencils by Caran d'Ache, or a Derwent Drawing China white (or other light color), there isn't a good way to redraw the white of the eyes now without also having to lift color.

If I were you, I'd consider this done and continue working on the hydrangeas. It's so well done that the risk of messing something up is too high compared to the benefits of changing the direction of Bacon's gaze. The drawing is good the way it is and unless it's a portrait for someone, no one else is going to know (unless you tell them, of course.)
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-24-2017, 02:13 PM

Excellent advice, Carrie, makes sense! I do have a white Luminance, but think you're right, I better call it a day before I make a mess, and will know better for next time! Off to the hydrangeas next, they won't need to be looking at anyone

Thanks so much,
Lynne
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-24-2017, 08:03 PM
PA

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieLLewis
Lynne,
If I were you, I'd consider this done and continue working on the hydrangeas. It's so well done that the risk of messing something up is too high compared to the benefits of changing the direction of Bacon's gaze. The drawing is good the way it is and unless it's a portrait for someone, no one else is going to know (unless you tell them, of course.)

I agree. (Except I'd add the missing leg.) This is a good drawing. It can be hard, and risky, to make major changes with CP. I'd be afraid of doing more harm than good.

#12   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-26-2017, 01:49 PM
A WC! Legend
Texas

Hails from United States

What a fabulous painting and hysterical name for your dog! I have a nearly all black mutt, Sunshine. To me she was a ray of sunshine (I later found out she was part Velociraptor and part Rocket). It didn't dawn on me until later that Sunshine is a pretty strange name for a black dog! At any rate, you did a wonderful job. I expected to see a painting of breakfast!

Be quick to forgive, we all make mistakes. That is what makes us human.