Home Forums Explore Media Watercolor The Learning Zone Another colorista question – Neutral Tint

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 81 total)
  • Author
    janinep7

In the never ending quest to mix up good darks, I’m thinking about Neutral Tint and if there is a compelling reason to use or not. As far as I understand the way it works, if you add it to a color it will darken it w/out skewing the hue. Right now, I’ve been using Payne’s Gray in sort of the same way, but Payne’s has a strong blue cast, so while it darkens, it also skews. Looking for input, opinions, experience specifically with Neutral Tint, and please add the brands you’ve used, liked/disliked and why.

Thanks!

virgil carter

Neutral Tint is one of many “darkening neutrals”. The role of a darkening neutral is to enable darker values of a paint than the paint’s inherent value.

Neutral Tint has a violet bias. Payne’s Gray has a blue-gray-black bias because it includes Lamp Black pigment, one of the most opaque elements on the face of the earth. In my judgment, PG is useful for value and notan studies, but not a very good paint for transparent watercolor painting due to the Lamp Black.

Other darkening neutrals include Perylene Maroon (red bias), Sepia (deep burnt orange bias), Indigo (blue bias), among others. Some folks like to use Burnt Sienna or Burnt Umber, but these grayed earth tones don’t work well as a darkening neutral in my approach to painting.

FWIW, I recommend to my students that they find and keep a useful darkening neutral on the palette, regardless of palette composition. Just be cautious and check the pigment content to be sure Lamp Black is not included in the neutral of choice!

Hope this helps.

Sling paint,
            Virgil

Sling paint,
            Virgil Carter
            http://www.virgilcarterfineart.com/

briantmeyer

I make a neutral pre-mix of :

Mostly Perelene Maroon
                A small portion of Phthalo Green
                Finally a bit of Phthalo Blue

Mix the red and green until it’s neither green or red, but brown when you paint a test tint of it.
                Drop in an even smaller amount of Pthalo blue, just a bit, this brings it to true neutral.

Note this is a dead color, kind of like ink, the reason I use it is because it is very hard getting a color perfectly neutral while painting, but easy to throw it in any direction.

Other colors can do the same thing, Perelene Green instead of Phthalo. Indrathrene Blue instead of Phthalo Blue. Basically it’s an RGB mixture of darkening neutrals.

Also Diox Violet is very useful in mixing lively dark neutrals, it turns gray with both Phthalo Turquoise, and Phthalo Green. Mixing with yellows gives a nice tan. It does not mix like what you’d expect. Ultramarine Violet is similar but very very weak ( use it only with weak earthy colors as it gets overpowered easily )

The “Jane’s” gray combo of Ultramarine Blue and Burnt Sienna is also very useful to have on your palette, I make a pan of it as well.

Violet Roses

Neutral Tint has a violet bias.

Yes, the version I have definitely does. I have M. Graham’s Neutral Tint which is a mixture of Phthalo Green (PG7) and a Quinacridone (PG19). It makes nice, transparent outdoor shadows and does a good job of darkening colors.

If you want a transparent, non-granulating dark black without a color bias, the best I’ve found is about a 1:1 mix of Perylene Green (PBk31) and Perylene Violet (PV29). I have this premixed in my palette. I like the perylenes because they are not super strong tinters unlike the amazingly powerful Phthalo Green and Dioxazine Violet and thus are easier for me to mix.

I love mixed media!

Rather than using a convenience paint such Neutral Tint, neutralize you colour with its compliment. See this comprehensive handprint.com reference.

It is only on a basis of knowledge that we can become free to compose naturally. -- Bernard Dunstan
                    blog.jlk.net

virgil carter

Claude, the darkening neutrals do not “neutralize” a base color, as does mixing complementary colors. Using a pre-mixed or mixed darkening neutral retains the hue intensity or saturation. It simply creates a darker value hue than otherwise possible.

Sling paint,
                        Virgil

Sling paint,
                        Virgil Carter

Violet Roses

I have M. Graham’s Neutral Tint which is a mixture of Phthalo Green (PG7) and a Quinacridone ([COLOR=”Red]PG19[/COLOR]).

Oops, I meant PV19. I don’t know which version (rose, red, or violet) of PV19 they use though.

I love mixed media!

jyaan

I prefer to use Ultramarine, Burnt Sienna Deep (PR101), a dark crimson (PR179 or PR264) and a Prussian/Phthalo Blue in various combinations, perhaps with some Nickel Azo Yellow added to adjust the hue. If I were to add a black to my palette I’d rather use Lamp Black instead of mixtures like Neutral Tint which seem something of a black for people in denial.

Auj

I never use Neutral Tint myself. I enjoy making darks from the original color.
                                    I especially enjoy adding Dioxazine Violet to a mix. Makes a wonderful darkest Evergreen. But it’s just part of the fun and discovery experimenting with color.:wink2:

vandogh

Since most of the so called “neutral” grays or tints are mixes of several other pigments, anyway, I see no reason to use them. I do have Payne’s gray, but use it mostly in value painting studies. I already have lots of colors I can use to mix up neutrals I don’t see a need to buy a pre-mixed tube of something I can make myself.

Neeman

I use Paynes grey as a blue for very dark foliage
                                            To knock down a color I use the analogous not Tint

Neutral Tint:

Daniel Smith – PBk6—Lamp Black; PV19—Quinacridone Violet; PR101—Red Iron Oxide
                                            Holbein – PB23—Dioxazine Purple; PB29—Ultramarine [Blue]; PBk6—Lamp Black
                                            M. Graham – PV19—Quinacridone Violet; PG7—Phthalo Green
                                            Mijello Mission Gold – PBk7—Lamp Black; PB27—Prussian Blue; PR122—Quinacridone Magenta
                                            Schminke – PB60—Indanthrene Blue; PBk7—Lamp Black; PR122—Quinacridone Magenta
                                            Sennelier – PB60—Indanthrene Blue; PBk7—Lamp Black; PR209—Quinacridone Red
                                            Winsor & Newton – PB15—Phthalo Blue; PBk6—Lamp Black; PV19—Quinacridone Violet
                                            Da Vinci doesn’t offer a neutral tint.

Don’t buy it. Don’t use it. If you really think about what you’re using to supposedly darken your local colour, what you’re really doing is mixing mud.

The better solution for me is to understand how to mix my neutrals that will be more effective and go a long way in maintaining colour harmony.

Char --

CharMing Art -- "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art." Leonardo DaVinci

So according to your list Char, my own dark mix is the M. Graham’s mix of Neutral Tint.
                                            The PV19—Quinacridone Violet; PG7—Phthalo Green.

I mix it my self and I prefer it because it doesn’t contain black. Any paint that contains Lamp black looks dull in my opinion.

Marialena, yes… I encourage all my Students to mix their own colour. These convenience colours make me crazy because Students are always trying to understand why their paintings become dull and muddy!

Paynes Grey

Da Vinci – PBk6—Lamp Black; PB27—Prussian Blue
                                            Daniel Smith – PBk9—Ivory Black; PB29—Ultramarine [Blue]; PY42—Yellow Ochre
                                            Holbein – PR83—Alizarin Crimson; PB27—Antwerp Blue; PB29—Ultramarine [Blue]; PBk7—Lamp Black
                                            M. Graham – PBk6—Lamp Black; PB29—Ultramarine [Blue]
                                            Mijello Mission Gold – PBk7—Lamp Black; PB15:3—Phthalo Blue; PV19—Quinacridone Violet
                                            Schminke – PBk6—Lamp Black; PB15:6—Phthalo Blue; PB15:2—Phthalo Blue
                                            Sennelier – PBk7—Lamp Black; PB15:1—Phthalo Blue; PV19—Quinacridone Violet
                                            Winsor & Newton – PB15—Phthalo Blue; PV19—Quinacridone Violet; PBk6—Lamp Black

The only good reason to buy Paynes Grey would be to do monochromes. Otherwise, don’t buy it. Don’t use it.

Char --

CharMing Art -- "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art." Leonardo DaVinci

virgil carter

There seems to be a common misconception about “Darkening Neutrals”, i.e., that the purpose of the paint and using it is to “neutralize” or “gray” a paint or a passage. That’s not the case at all!

The purpose of a Darkening Neutral–whether one uses a pre-mixed paint or prefers to mix their own on their palette or on their paper–is simply to achieve darker value mixtures and passages than may be possible using normal paints with their inherent range of values.

Darker values is not the same as a “neutral mix or passage”. A darker value retains intensity or saturation and simply moves to a darker value range.

On the other hand, a “neutral” or “grayed” mix or passage loses its intensity and saturation and becomes neutral or grayed.

I fully agree on the issues created by using Lamp Black.

Sling paint,
                                                Virgil

Sling paint,
                                                Virgil Carter

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 81 total)
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.