Home Forums Explore Media Airbrush Olympos Airbrushes

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Gaka

Olympos Airbrush Japan now has an English page, The page was launched two days ago and they have an opening special where you get 5% of all products until the end of March 2017. The majority of the page is complete and the translating is ongoing

I have been Airbrushing for more than 45 years and I have used Paasche, Iwata and I now use Olympos exclusively.

It is difficult to compare a cheaper Chinese airbrush with one of the reputable brands

oziair.ocnk.net/

JaPizzy

That’s great. Does that mean they’re manufacturing again? I considered ordering some from total-t a while back, but was afraid that spares would become a problem over time. I’m a clutz and most of my brushes go through quite a few needles and nozzles.

Gaka

Hi JaPizzy

No they aren’t manufacturing again and well not do so in the future. Toshiya from Total-T purchased all of the stock from Olympos….and I mean 10’s of thousands. Even if he sold 5 airbrushes a week it would take Toshiya more than 40 years to run out. Some of the very popular models the stock number was low.

I have been friends with Toshiya from Toatal-T for more than 10 years and my Wife is Japanese. That is why I/we are running the English Olympos Airbrush Japan site, My Wife can do translations etc.

It concerns me about the needle damage etc with your airbrushes. I have a number of airbrushes and over the last 10 years I have only bought about 5 new needles….you can straighten most needles if you are careful, I put my straightened needle into an electric drill and turn it on and polish my needle with a 1000 sandpaper etc.

You can contact me via Facebook Oziair Bruce Lynch

fedetony

Would sound great if there was a way to get replacements… not that you need them often, but if you need one and can’t find it is just an issue…. better stay with iwata, Paashe, H&S … they all have replacements and support

Federico Garcia
                    My Blog
                    C&C always welcome :D

"...when someone gives a critique of your work, fear not. It usually means they like or care more of your work than when they just pat your back." - Tiago

Gaka

You can get replacement parts and support for Olympos, What are you looking for? Have you asked Olympos?

JaPizzy

I have successfully straightened and polished needles in the past. But when you drop the brush with the needle cap off, I find it tends to destroy the nozzle as well. And I almost never have the needle cap on so I can pick the tip clean. Plus I find that after a year or so of constant use the nozzle get’s enough wear that it starts to degrade the fine detail I can get with it. I tend to paint pretty small, with a lot of lines under a milimeter in width.

Gaka

Yeah it does some damage when you drop them and a lot of use will have some wear and tear over time. I never use mine with the cap on either, because I find it easier to spray precisely that way. I never have a problem with my tip as I always use my fluids very thin.

airbrush_ken

I found that an air cap that the company sold as a “Crown” cap. I’ll check my parts box and post a shot. As in the name the cap looks like a crown and allows you to still protect the needle, while getting the tight line detail spraying without the “air cap” (also some companies call it a needle cap)..

Also great info Gaka… the spare parts issue and problems getting a serious importer to back the product some 23 years ago is why I stopped using or recommending that brand. I still have a 30 odd’, year old Iwata HPC in the box that I switched the rubber pacing washer with a nylon one..back in the day of custom painting. My Olympos’s never touched automotive products ;)
                                    Ken

JaPizzy

I’m willing to bet that iwata spares can be used in olympos bushes. I think that I’ve heard that the head systems on iwata microns will work with the olympos microns. And I know that the micron nozzles and needles can be used as spares for the Richpen phoenix brushes, which is another great Japanese company. I would think that the “HP” olympos brushes could use the replacement parts for the original iwata high performance line of brushes, which are still produced. But I have no confirmation of that.

Gaka

I would have to get the whole story from Toshiya…I have heard it but I can’t remember it exactly, so this is my vague recollection of it :(

Olympos made the micron Airbrush and sold the manufacturing rights to Iwata. Olympos has been making airbrushed for years and Mr Olympos did not really push his products where as Iwata did therefore Iwata became more popular.

Mr olympos wanted to retire and he tried to get one of his Sons to continue the business, his Son did not want to do so and went on to make Richpen I think. Mr Olympos sold his complete ivnevtory to Toshiya Takeshima years ago and Toshiya is not selling online. The inventory contains more than a 100,000 airbrushes.

Olympos and Iwata are the only airbrushes manufactured in Japan and I have a feeling that Iwata was made in the Olympos factory for some time. So I am sure there are interchangeable part just like headlights for cars :)

If you ask us at Olympos about exchangeable parts between Olympos and Iwata you will not get an answer as it is in our best interest to sell parts for Olympos airbrushes only. Sorry we are not here to support Iwata spare parts, but we will not stop you from purchasing an Olympos spare part….just don’t ask us if it fits an Iwata :)

As mentioned in the beginning that I think that this is how the story goes….if you wish for me to expand on it or clarify it I will then speak to Toshiya and get the answers.

Happy airbrushing!

jumpforjoy61

I have a MPC which came from the Olympos online shop Japan ,he sells them very cheaply and they have different head systems one two and three hole head units and a further three hole variant ,there are plenty of other models to choose from as well ,compared to an iwata micron the price is fantastic and cheaper then a iwata HPC as well

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.