Home Forums Explore Media Casein, Gouache, and Egg Tempera Masking Tape & Cold Pressed Paper

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    css

I’m painting with Gouache and usually will mask off a size of the painting – say 6×8 with pencil and then will add my masking tape (blue ipg tape) on Cold Pressed watercolor paper. When I finish my painting and peel off the tape I’m pulling off paper as well and its looking a little messy.

Any ideas or thoughts? Are there better quality papers or tapes to help out with this issue?

"You are emphasizing what interests you and minimizing other things by putting them in the service of your true passion and leaving out altogether what distracts. Keep it simple." - Ken Kewley

Shirl Parker

I use Arches 140 Cold Pressed and 3M Blue masking tape and never have a problem. If you are using something else, one or the other might be the cause.

Shirl
            http://picasaweb.google.com/shirlrparker/myart
            “Try to be as nice a person as your dog thinks you are.” - The Puppy Zone

css

Thank you, will try out that combination.

"You are emphasizing what interests you and minimizing other things by putting them in the service of your true passion and leaving out altogether what distracts. Keep it simple." - Ken Kewley

meglyman

I second using blue “painters tape” – I have Blue Hawk brand and it works quite well. Just be careful when lifting the tape off the edges of the support. I have had some bad luck with tape peeling off the top layer of multi-layer illustration board. I think the better quality of support, the less likely it is to peel off with tape.

Meg Lyman Illustration - www.meglyman.com
                    CrashOctopus Blog - an Ode to Art and Beer

I use Scotch masking tape on Saunders-Waterford 200# CP and Rough. I use a heat gun to gently warm the tape when removing it. Just make sure the painting is completely dry before you try to remove the tape.

It is only on a basis of knowledge that we can become free to compose naturally. -- Bernard Dunstan
                    blog.jlk.net

Merritt

I use (Norton house painters) masking tape (purple) on Archers hot press 640 gram (almost a board) works like a dream never had issues with it tearing or leaving behind thick residue behind, some of my paintings have been taped for over 3 months as a typical painting takes 80-120 hours to complete hope this helps you.

An artist is not paid for his labor but for his vision.

I use “drafting tape”. Try that.
                        Dave

janinco

Joe Miller (Cheap Joe’s) has a great little video clip that shows how to keep the tape from tearing your paper:

http://youtu.be/euItyftc3N8

Jan

M.L. Schaefer

It seems some water may be seeping under the tape, so will pull off paper when removing the tape. Try the suggestions above, they are good ones.

Margarete

When he, the Spirit of truth is come...he will be your Guide... Holy Bible (Old and New Testament)
                                Under the Concrete are Flowers Yet to be Born...from a Chilean Poem

2dpuppets

I stick the masking tape on my flannel shirt before I stick it on the paper. This lessens the stickiness of the tape. I use regular masking tape not the blue painters tape.

Doolan

Blow drying tape with hair dryer on warm also releases tape without taking away paper. Xxx

I second janinco’s recommendation of the method shown in the Cheap Joe’s video – putting the tape on your shirt to reduce the stickyness before applying to the paper.

I use white artists tape. (I find the color of blue tape distracting next to my painting area.) It’s low-stick to begin with, but the shirt method makes it even less so.

I make a point of only pressing the tape down firmly on the edge facing in to the painting area, not around the outside, reducing the area where the adhesive is pressed hard against the paper. I also pull the tape up slowly.

So far, no leaks, no tearing.

Ken W

What Dave said! Drafting tape is made to peel off without taking paper along. But if you must use masking tape hold the glue side against your clothing a time or two to pick up some lint and, thus, reduce the extreme adhesiveness. Btw, most masking tape is not made for paper, but rather for house painters to use to mask off hard surfaces such as wood and glass and it is made with a limited life to the lifting ability; in other words, it sticks like crazy after a limited pull-up time.

Sonia

If water/paint is seeping under the edge of the tape, try adding a fine line of masking fluid along that edge to make doubly sure it is sealed.

Lynn Quinn

One thing that I’ve found helpful is to slowly remove the tape by pulling it up at a right angle from the direction is was put on, rather than lifting straight up.

My website: http://lynn-quinn.pixels.com/

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.