WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Colored Pencil
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-12-2017, 06:38 AM

Graphite underdrawing help

Hello.

im new to this forum and have an issue with a drawing.

so i did a graphite drawing of the bridgewater madonna which i wanted to finish in cp. however, i kinda added too many details and am afraid if i were to go over with cp's, id end up muddying everything.

is there any way of saving it? thanks.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-12-2017, 06:43 AM

Re: Graphite underdrawing help

ive attached the photo of the subject. (not a very good rendition). ive opted to stop working on it till i can get some help. thanks.

Last edited by aaronf : 02-12-2017 at 06:45 AM.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-12-2017, 09:38 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

There are several options. Get a kneaded eraser, warm it in your hand so it is soft and then press (don't rub) it down over the graphite to pick up the excess, once you have removed all you can that way you can lightly rub the surface of the paper, but don't scrub. that should remove a lot of the graphite. No guarantees but it should help.

Another option that will give you a different look to the finished work but one that I like to use for some of my drawings is to use ink to outline your image, then use a good eraser (pink pearl or other as you prefer) and erase all the graphite. Note that you need to wait at least an hour after inking (actually overnight is best) before you erase so you don't smear any of the ink.

A last option is to use tracing paper, lay the tracing paper over your drawing and draw only the necessary lines, then using a carbon/graphite sheet redraw/transfer your drawing to a new sheet of paper. You can also use a light box to do this.

NOTE: as a new member you didn't have the required number of message posts to enable you to upload an image, not sure of the number now a days but make a few more comments and try again.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-12-2017, 11:01 AM

hey kat.

thanks for laying out the various options available to me.

i was wondering if it was possible to spray a working fixative over the whole thing and start layering in color once the values have been firmed up?

im asking this because i would like to keep the graphite as an underdrawing.

also, would it be possible to lay out an underpainting in earths before spraying fixative and layering color from there? i cant seem to find much info regarding working fixatives and the range of possibilities available.

thank you.

im gonna try to keep uploading with each post.

Last edited by aaronf : 02-12-2017 at 11:04 AM.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-12-2017, 11:17 AM

a number of things need to be fixed, but this is how it looks right now. ive only been doing this art thing for a couple of months so please be nice
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-12-2017, 06:48 PM
Enthusiast
Queensland

Hails from Australia

coloured pencil over graphite goes muddy and gritty so you would need to tap back with an kneadable eraser. Maybe try on a test paper the workable fixative spray to see how it works. you might need a couple of spray layers to set the graphite but its worth a try.
good luck and keep us posted. ☺☺
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-12-2017, 07:18 PM

Hails from United Kingdom

If you were to trace your lines as described above then do the shading again in complementary colours to the ones you want to use before starting your final layers, you should get shadows without the graphite mud. I.e. If you wanted to have a yellow drawing then lilac underneath would give you shading. Practice your combinations first though as some colours really don't behave as you'd expect.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-12-2017, 09:45 PM

thank you for the tips. ill try both the fixative and the complementary underpainting method. thank you both.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-13-2017, 06:23 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from Brazil

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronf
Hello.

im new to this forum and have an issue with a drawing.

so i did a graphite drawing of the bridgewater madonna which i wanted to finish in cp. however, i kinda added too many details and am afraid if i were to go over with cp's, id end up muddying everything.

is there any way of saving it? thanks.

You are doing a creative drawing or rendering an image from a reference? If you are doing something creative, start over on another piece of paper and use the first one as reference.

If you are rendering an image, then erasing a small region and coloring it is the best way. BE warned that pressure damage to the paper may produce undersirable results.
"no no! You are doing it all wrong, in the internet we are supposed to be stubborn, inflexible and arrogant. One cannot simply be suddenly reasonable and reflexive in the internet, that breaks years of internet tradition as a medium of anger, arrogance, bigotry and self entitlement. Damm these internet newcomers being nice to to others!!!"

"If brute force does not solve your problem, then you are not using enough!"
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-13-2017, 12:27 PM
Chester UK

Hails from England

I would say draw it again from scratch. I had the same problem. I started drawing a picture of my children . I started drawing my son first and then thought pah sod it i may aswell try colour pencil over it. So i started drawing my daughter with the colour pencil and liked how it was going so i then dabbed out what i could of the graphite over my son and started to draw with colour pencil but the tooth had virtually gone. I don't want to try workable fixative incase i ruin it. As you can see the colour pencil is just not going on right

I may well try cut my son out or the only other option for me is maybe try some of the workable fixative i bought from Brushandpencil.com but like i said i don't want to ruin it.

edit. btw this is on stonehenge paper.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-13-2017, 07:13 PM
Veteran Member
Newton, Kansas

Hails from United States

[quote=aaronf]...i was wondering if it was possible to spray a working fixative over the whole thing and start layering in color once the values have been firmed up?

im asking this because i would like to keep the graphite as an underdrawing.../QUOTE]

The short answer is, Yes, it is possible to layer colored pencil over a graphite under drawing without damaging or destroying the graphite under drawing. However...

You will want to use something more permanent that workable fixative. Workable fixative allows you to change whatever was already on the paper and you don't want to do that.

You can start color work with a earth tone under drawing, but you'll still need the fixative to protect the graphite under drawing.

The better course of action in my opinion would be to begin again and start with an umber under drawing. Develop that just as you would a graphite drawing, then layer color over it.

How much you develop the umber under drawing is entirely up to you. Here's how I do it.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-15-2017, 12:44 PM

Hails from United States

TicTac (and its variants) works better than kneaded eraser. Always ready to go to work when you want it.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-16-2017, 10:53 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from Brazil

Quote:
Originally Posted by timeshadowed
TicTac (and its variants) works better than kneaded eraser. Always ready to go to work when you want it.

Depend the temperature, humidity and the brand of the kneaded erasers. Some brands (like koh i noor kneaded erasers) are HORRIBLE. Some as staedtler are better than blue tac except on dry atmosphere.

I used to use blue tac but NO w i just have a huge stockpile hidden at a closet, having returned completely to kneaded eraser
"no no! You are doing it all wrong, in the internet we are supposed to be stubborn, inflexible and arrogant. One cannot simply be suddenly reasonable and reflexive in the internet, that breaks years of internet tradition as a medium of anger, arrogance, bigotry and self entitlement. Damm these internet newcomers being nice to to others!!!"

"If brute force does not solve your problem, then you are not using enough!"