WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Town Center > WC Site Technical Discussions
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-15-2008, 09:38 AM
A WC! Legend
Atlanta

Hails from United States
Re: Suggestion Box

Hi Subbia, thanks for the suggestions. A couple of things to note:

1. While we don't have a forum specifically for murals, we do have a number of mural artists in our Decorative Arts forum.
2. We do have a Classical Art forum as well, and I'm sure your Renaissance discussions would be more than welcome there.
3. As Doug pointed out, adding new forums isn't a problem, as long as there is enough support. You could always start a thread in the Cafe to gauge interest.

For a list of all our forums, see http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-03-2008, 10:31 AM
A Local Legend
India

Hails from United Nations

Oh, I didn't note this seperate suggestion thread.

I've posted two different suggestions in this forum: the earlier one, posted last year, was about icons indicating medium for the art posted in the Galleria. For people who want to learn about their chosen medium, but are in a hurry or on dial-up, it's a bit frustrating to open each thread before they can see whether the medium is what they are interested in or not. If there could be some sort of indication beside the thread, you could open just those threads that contain art in the medium that interests you.

The other suggestion is regarding entries made in the Games Threads. If such threads are clearly marked as Games, and if entries made in them are not counted as posts, I think it will make it far easier to search for serious posts made by the 'gaming' members. Going by the way in which submissions to the RIL (and comments made there) are not counted as posts, it shouldn't be difficult to do the same with posts made in the Games Threads. If this were done, you could search for a member's non-game contribution without having to wade through single-word (or line) posts.

I thought that this was the right time to bring these two ideas up for discussion, and, hopefully, implementation. So many changes getting done anyway...
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-15-2008, 06:06 PM
A Local Legend
Stevens Point, WI

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaIA
Deborah
Thank You so much, it helps to know the exact meaning of the instructions that are given when someone is trying to improve there work.
Paula

Paula,
As a fairly new Guide, I thought I would say I think there is some merit to your idea of a Sticky suggestion box, but perhaps it is something that should be considered by the various channels for their forums, as well. Many people are not as "cosmopolitan" as WC! tends to be as a whole. In many ways it is more like a group of small communities that are close to one another. Many never venture outside the town limits, a few might visit some nearby towns, but fewer still might be everywhere. There are both advantages and disadvantages, but mostly that is simply the nature of such a large beast.

I take your thought of making sure that users know we care about their input seriously. In fact, I hope to implement such a "SUGGESTION BOX" thread in the OP Channel where I guide in the future and want to thank you for the idea.

If I can make a suggestion about your concern with regard to art phrases that are confusing. It would be hard to compile a comprehensive list and different areas of art might have slightly different connotations for a particular phrase. If I could make a suggestion to you, I think your best strategy is that whenever you encounter a phrase, acronym or statement in a post that you do not understand or feel is not completely clear, then right then and there make a Post, prefereably Quoting the context of the phrase or term used and ask the individual using the term if they could explain more clearly what they mean.

I can only speak for the area where I guide and certainly don't pretend to speak for any other areas, but as a Guide in the OP channel I take every opportunity I can to encourage participants to ASK, ASK, ASK. If I or the Mod do not know (which is sometimes the case) almost always someone else around pipes up with a great explanation. Sometimes this is the way very interesting discussions get started in the forum.

So, I hope this makes some sense to you, and I encourage you to ask in the context of the threads where you encounter terms and that way you are most likely to get the most rapid and useful feedback.

Thanks to all for their ideas and thanks to Doug who works tirelessly to try and provide support and answers for users regarding the WC! site. In so many ways we all are guides and we all are learners. Titles don't always mean we are all knowing. Hopefully, we will all foster a sense of community where everyone tries to help everyone else.

Thanks for reading this.

BILL
DREAM! LAUGH! LOVE! LIVE! (Various)
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-15-2008, 06:08 PM
A Local Legend
Stevens Point, WI

Hails from United States

In the sense of trying to not contribute to anyone's confusion,

OP = Oil Pastel
Mods=Moderators

BILL
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-16-2008, 06:12 PM
Veteran Member
Burlington, IA.

Hails from United States

Hi Bill
I think each channel/forum having it's own suggestion box is a great idea. That way the users of that forum can make suggestions that they feel are relevant to that forum and not other forums. Then the guides or mods in each forum can read and respond to the users who post in that forum. In this way more people feel comfortable make a suggestion, fewer posts get missed, and one or two guides aren't trying to do the work for all the forums. If the suggestion is something that would benefit other forums then the G/Ms can forward the suggestion on up the chain of command for further consideration.

As for the suggestion for a glossary of terms is concerned, I think that if all the forums have a FAQ sticky that is relevant to that forum, when a question for clarification of a term or phrase is asked for, the question and answer can be added to the FAQ .
And you are right about needing to ask for clarification. It is just that I did ask and never received an answer. I asked the person who used the phrase in the post and then the thread ended with my question. I came away with feeling like I had spoken when I should not have. It take me awhile to become comfortable with a situation or group of people before I feel safe in saying anything. I guess it didn't help that it was my first post and was not very familiar with the forums. But my first impulse was to go away and never come back to WC. I wonder how many others have had a similar experience and have left never to return? This is my idea on how to avoid that.
Thanks for your input Bill.
Paula
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-18-2008, 12:28 PM
A Local Legend
Stevens Point, WI

Hails from United States

Paula,
I'm sorry to hear of your particular situation. But you did exactly what the forums are designed for; you asked a question about a post and wanted some interraction.

It does occasionally happen that a question gets missed. I can not, nor would I speak for other channels and their mods and guides.

I can only say that in the channel I Guide for, Oil Pastel, the mod and I attempt to make certain EVERY question receives some sort of reply. It may be that I don't know, but I try to find out.

I would like to think your experience was an oddity and not commond of WC! in general. That has always been my impression and I hope it was simply an unfortunate oversight.

Thanks for your comments.

Bill
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-23-2008, 04:44 PM
Enthusiast
Chattanooga, TN

Hails from United States

Might seem a bit odd, but as I was scrolling around the place a bit, I found myself in forums with people I've never seen, (not unheard of in a place this size, and considering I do tend to spend all my time in Acrylics) and a thought sprang to my head... it would be nice when in one of the more 'general' forums (like the Cafe, or Creativity, or the business forums, for example) to be able to see what someone's main medium of choice is... there's the little flag up there to let folks know where we're from, how about something to let people know what we create with? I'm not familiar with the software used for this site (I use a different software for my own site), but I know that it is possible to make 'custom' categories for the profile, and, at least with what I use, possible to put the answer for that category into the poster's header/information when they post...

Just a thought...

"Why shouldn't art be pretty? There are enough unpleasant things in the world." - Pierre Auguste Renoir
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-23-2008, 05:17 PM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Hails from United Kingdom

A nice idea Katlee - symbols to represent mediums.

Doug
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-23-2008, 08:47 PM
Veteran Member
Burlington, IA.

Hails from United States

Is it possible to include the persons "flag" in the list of chatters in a chat room? for example: PaulaIA (USA)
That would be very helpful.
Paula
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-24-2008, 03:08 AM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

A lot of features were added to the old version of the site, but new ones won't be added until the site is restored to its former state.

The priorities must be the RIL uploader and the Virtual Gallery.

Maybe then the techies can consider adding extra features.

Doug
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-15-2009, 04:52 PM
Enthusiast
Pennsylvania

Hails from United States

Hi! Although this thread seems relatively dead I thought I'd post a suggestion here. I've been a member for about a year now and one thing I've noticed and am somewhat bothered by is the lack of C&C's or any type of feedback if you are not so inclined to do the same. I wish there was a separate area for those of us who do not feel comfortable giving advice or just don't have the time to do so but still are looking for some sort of constructive comments or critiques of things we post. In my observations a lot of the posters are continually posting work on a daily or weekly basis and getting scads of remarks yet others who post something when they can get next to nothing. This can be very discouraging to those of us with marginal talent and time. Maybe newbies and artists with lack of confidence would be served better if we had our own place to display our work before we head out into the big world of WetCanvas. Don't get me wrong, I love this site but I feel it's a bit overwhelming at times.Probably wouldn't work anyway because now you have a bunch of people who don't have the confidence to offer advice meeting up together. We'd all be looking at each others work and saying nothing as usual. Oh well, it sounded like a good idea for a minute!
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-18-2009, 10:02 AM

Is there an area for artists who are chemically sensitive? I have to avoid many of the common paints and thinners because of chemical allergies. I have some questions in this area. Thank you.
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2009, 10:30 AM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Marcia, if you require constructive criticism you have to specifically ask for it in some forums.

If you want the works, you could post your work in the Structured Critiques forum.

Chuck, I would ask your question in the appropriate medium forum where the vast experience of the members will help you.

Doug
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-22-2009, 06:44 PM
Enthusiast
Pennsylvania

Hails from United States

Doug, I know you have to ask for C&C's. Maybe it's just the Pastel Forum. I've decided that I'm just going to post in Portraiture or Landscapes in the future.Take a break from there. Might be a little too cliquie (sp) for me.That's just my opinion. I think for people who don't post on a regular basis it's hard to get C & C's ...unless you show extraordinary work. It's all good though, eventually I'll find a place I feel more comfortable.
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-01-2009, 07:16 AM
Veteran Member
Edmonton London U.K.

Hails from England

Why don't they allow us to embed videos in the wetcanvas forums? Maybe if they allowed HTML? After all, it is a tightly regulated membership.