WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-16-2019, 08:42 AM

Question on canvas size and pros and cons with acrylics....

If you've seen any of my threads you'll know that I tend to paint mainly with blacks and whites, portraying general musical icons using the highest def'n reference photos I can find.
I'm not quite photo realism but I'm leaning in that direction.
I'm mostly 50-50 box canvas vs canvas board. I'm happiest at 24" x 16".
For my next piece I wish to do a larger piece, probably 4:3 ratio still. No idea how large I may go but here in the UK, Hobby craft do very large canvas although I'm not a fan of theirs.

Does anyone have any thoughts and feelings on the pros and cons of using acrylics on large canvas? Any 'got ya's that I need to watch out for. Sorry for the vagueness... I'm not an experienced artist but I'm rapidly gaining a lot of confidence but still unsure of my boundries. Not sure if going large is a good idea.

All advice appreciated.

Mark.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-16-2019, 10:46 AM
WC! Guide
In the heart of The Pearl (Portland OR)

Hails from United States
Re: Question on canvas size and pros and cons with acrylics....

I would say you have no boundaries. The only boundaries are those you impose on yourself. I usually paint on large canvases (4 ft x 8 ft or less). No problem. Recently Iíve been trying to downsize canvases to inches instead of feet but I still prefer the larger size. I unusually order them thorough Blick and I order them in quantity so thereís a discount.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-16-2019, 10:49 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from Brazil

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkGuy
If you've seen any of my threads you'll know that I tend to paint mainly with blacks and whites, portraying general musical icons using the highest def'n reference photos I can find.
I'm not quite photo realism but I'm leaning in that direction.
I'm mostly 50-50 box canvas vs canvas board. I'm happiest at 24" x 16".
For my next piece I wish to do a larger piece, probably 4:3 ratio still. No idea how large I may go but here in the UK, Hobby craft do very large canvas although I'm not a fan of theirs.

Does anyone have any thoughts and feelings on the pros and cons of using acrylics on large canvas? Any 'got ya's that I need to watch out for. Sorry for the vagueness... I'm not an experienced artist but I'm rapidly gaining a lot of confidence but still unsure of my boundries. Not sure if going large is a good idea.

All advice appreciated.

Mark.

As long as you are reasonable on the techniques you decide to use... no problems.

You will have a hard time if you want to make subtle tone variations on alrge canvases because you cannot mix a HUGE amount of paint.. you will waste it and it will dry before you finish a huge section. SO you need to mix it several times in smaller batches.. if you are not technical and controlled in your mixing you might struggle to keep a tone.
"no no! You are doing it all wrong, in the internet we are supposed to be stubborn, inflexible and arrogant. One cannot simply be suddenly reasonable and reflexive in the internet, that breaks years of internet tradition as a medium of anger, arrogance, bigotry and self entitlement. Damm these internet newcomers being nice to to others!!!"

"If brute force does not solve your problem, then you are not using enough!"
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-16-2019, 11:53 AM
North East England.

Hails from England

Mark, if you're not happy with Hobbycraft (me neither!) consider joining the SAA (Society for All Artists) ... if a member you get privileged pricing and free p&p and all the good brands for all the materials you'll need ... plus extras!

For quantities of mixed paint, some people develop recipes and store mixed quantities in topped plastic or glass jars ..... save airtight containers!

PS - I prefer the deep sided canvas for most sizes - but that's personal ... I think they look better on the wall than the thinner ones ..... and canvas boards need framing.

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**Information Kiosk~Acrylics**
**Reference Image Library**
**My SAA website**

Last edited by Charlie's Mum : 05-16-2019 at 03:53 PM.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-19-2019, 02:32 AM
Veteran Member
Philadelphia

Hails from United States

I just made a Blick order with the largest canvas being 8 by 8 inches. I'm positive I would be so overwhelmed with a BIG canvas! (But I do have a big expense of wall here that has been primed and abandoned by property management. I would fancy a big mural if I could!

I cannot imagine working on a big area that you mention, Gayle! Do you have a really big easel or prop it against a wall? I feel like I'd need to go to the gym for a year before I'd be able to stand and reach for all that painting!

Ah, by if I get a bigger apartment I can imagine a wall of huge canvases!

Good luck guys!
Sheila
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-19-2019, 09:37 AM
Enthusiast
Waterford, NY

Hails from United States

I find the more I paint and get comfortable with the medium, the more I like larger surfaces. I started doing 8x10s, moved up to 16x20s, and now really enjoy 18x24 and 24x30 surfaces. I do have to mix a lot more and I try to write out a rough ďrecipeĒ for any mixes involving more than two or three hues, just in case I need more.

Lately, though, Iíve been wondering if larger pieces arenít holding me, a rank amateur, back somewhat. I am a slow worker by nature, and it takes me so long to finish a piece...I wonder if Iíd learn and develop more doing lots of smaller pieces. To that end, Iím thinking of starting a habit of doing small pieces (6x8 to 8x10) alongside the larger ones so I can work out issues and experiment a little more freely.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-21-2019, 06:59 PM

I haven't been able to post for a few days so apologies for the late response. Many thanks to those that offered advice. All very helpful indeed.

Sykirobme... interesting thought there. I know a lot of people use mirrors when checking portraits. I use a photo on the mobile phone next to the reference photo and find that screams out at inaccuracies. Perhaps small studies alongside a large canvas would do similar due to a small piece having less scope for errors.

"For quantities of mixed paint, some people develop recipes and store mixed quantities in topped plastic or glass jars ..... save airtight containers!" ---- superb tip Maureen. I went out and bought 5 airtight Tupperware cups. I shall use them to store greyscale tones and as most of my pieces are greyscale I shouldn't have any wastage. Cut pieces of paper from my sta-wet pallete and a cut piece of damp sponge should help to keep them usable for longer. I'll rig something up.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-21-2019, 07:09 PM
A WC! Legend
NorthWest NJ.

Hails from United States

Hi Mark: I've been around the block a few times and I haven't worked on canvas in years. Especially stretched. Conservators like a rigid ground because stretched canvas moves and this is where problems start especially in oils.
I love mounted paper and I've also mounted canvas on board for fussy gallery owners.
heavy illustration board is beautiful for acrylics and so is prepared (primed)
hardboard. Just my druthers I guess.