WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Illustration
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-18-2019, 12:51 PM

Illustrations I have no idea what to do with

Hey all.

I've been working on some drawings recently but I have no idea what to do with them. The dream would be to have steady freelance work, but I'm not sure which market to look into or what kind of work I could get. Any critiques, advice, etc is much appreciated

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-24-2019, 04:34 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
East of Eden

Re: Illustrations I have no idea what to do with

Hello, Monkey. Don't fret about the lack of replies, this can be a pretty quiet forum sometimes.

Your work looks highly conceptual, so I might recommend editorial illustration. When you have to come up with an image that illustrates the idea or the theme of an article, you've gotta be able to interpret and concept well. That's a weakness of mine, but it looks like it's a strength of yours. I'd consider it.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-26-2019, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llawrence
Hello, Monkey. Don't fret about the lack of replies, this can be a pretty quiet forum sometimes.

Your work looks highly conceptual, so I might recommend editorial illustration. When you have to come up with an image that illustrates the idea or the theme of an article, you've gotta be able to interpret and concept well. That's a weakness of mine, but it looks like it's a strength of yours. I'd consider it.

Thank you so much for the help! I've been slowly building up a physical portfolio to start shopping around, and I think I've found my first targets. Also, I had no idea there was a critique section to this website (just joined) so I apologize. But this is helpful. Thanks again!
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-28-2019, 03:36 AM
Enthusiast
New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand

What about a graphic novel? Look at Neil Gaiman to see what he’s done.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-15-2019, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christmascarolnz

I dipped my toe into graphic novels in the past...I was never really into comics growing up so it was difficult to really get my heart into it unfortunately, that being said if I was given a written story I think I could get into it more than attempting writing and illustrating one by myself. I've just been finding cafes in my area that allow me to hang my stuff on their walls for a percentage of profits and pray commissions start trickling through hahahah
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-03-2019, 10:19 AM
Gdansk

Hails from Poland

Quote:
Originally Posted by christmascarolnz

Totally agree. You can choose to have graphic novels as your side hustle. If you are into comics, you'll even combine profit with pleasure! If you want a few tips on how to combine this freelance work with your regular one, here's a good article - https://www.format.com/magazine/reso...de-hustle-tips
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-13-2019, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shia Harju
Totally agree. You can choose to have graphic novels as your side hustle. If you are into comics, you'll even combine profit with pleasure! If you want a few tips on how to combine this freelance work with your regular one, here's a good article - https://www.format.com/magazine/reso...de-hustle-tips

This is great, thanks! Since my last post I've started getting into wall murals, I've always been attracted to large scale art so I finally found a place that lets me ink up their wall. I have some posts on my instagram @fivetoothmonkey. Sharpie art 4 lyfe!